gowlerk

Javelin models

Does anyone (besides Sunpath) know when the letter K was added to Javelin model numbers, why it was added and what it means? I can find no documentation of what this change means on their website or in the manual. I know, I could just email them and ask, and I probably will, but putting it here gets it in front of others who may want to know.

Answer from Sunpath....

The K was added back in 2000, when Kyle Collins redesigned the Javelin. Pack Volumes are still the same K and pre K.

It seems it was merely an internal matter, I have no idea what changed with the "redesign". As far as I can tell Sunpath has made numerous small detail improvements over the years. I always thought of it as an evolution more than a redesign.

• Like 1

(edited)
5 hours ago, gowlerk said:

I have no idea what changed with the "redesign".

As far as I can tell Sunpath has made numerous small detail improvements over the years.

Hi Ken,

Last year Derek Thomas ( formerly of Sunpath ) told me about the work that Kyle Collins did for them.  He said it was a fair amount of very small changes to the rig; i.e., things like a change in the radius of a portion of the yoke pattern, etc, etc.

It was about '03, at the Symposium, that I was talking with Derek ( he & his then wife Pat, bought Sunpath about '94 ) and he said that, from the original, it had over 135 changes to it.  Now, some of those would be to the TSO'd portion of the H & C and some would be to the non-TSO'd portions.

Just some trivia for those who like this stuff,

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  The Javelin was originally TSO'd under C23c where you select what Category ( weight - speed, make a selection ) you want to certify it under.  Later, they did the three Strength Tests per C23d, where you select what weight - speed you want to certify it under; then the FAA granted them certification under C23d, or so I was told.

ETA:  My error, I was talking with Derek at the '07 Symposium. 

Edited by JerryBaumchen
error
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Just some trivia for those who like this stuff,

16 hours ago, gowlerk said:

I love this stuff.

Thank you Jerry,

I often find this little detail stuff interesting. 

You have a fascinating insight into so much that has been developed and created (yes, I know why - either you know the people or you were there for it).