Dr.Surgicool

Canopy burn

Since no one else has bitten, I'll take a shot.

What do you mean by canopy burn? Set fire to your main and chop it? 

You won't find anything in the SIM because it is a stunt, not the kind of skydiving that 99.5% of jumpers do.   

If you are serious, start by talking to people who have done it or been involved in doing it.  Bryan Burke from SD AZ comes to mind.

From what I know, you will need to find a dz to jump at and an aircraft to jump from.  Understand that many dz's are not going to want to take the chance of your melting canopy starting a fire on the ground - I believe this is why Troy Hartman did his over a lake. Aircraft might be an issue, as having the canopy sitting in a bucket of jet fuel on the way up to altitude is one way to ensure that it's going to catch (I'm sure there are other ways; this is the one I know about). Aircraft owners tend to get a bit worried about things that might destroy their airplane, like buckets of jet fuel in the cabin.  

You will need an intentional cutaway rig, or at a minimum have a rig modified to suit your purposes.  Regardless, you need to leave the airplane with three parachutes - the one you are going to burn, a main and a reserve.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I know I sound like an old man yelling at kids on his lawn, but is this the picture that should be on the cover of the official publication of the USPA? Should the USPA really be promoting lighting your canopy on fire?  It gives it a sense of legitimacy and may even make some people think they can go to the SIM to find out how to do it. :)

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, DiverMike said:

I know I sound like an old man yelling at kids on his lawn, but is this the picture that should be on the cover of the official publication of the USPA? Should the USPA really be promoting lighting your canopy on fire?  It gives it a sense of legitimacy and may even make some people think they can go to the SIM to find out how to do it. :)

A great stunt to add to the end of a proxy flight. If USPA won't sanction wingsuit BASE how are the kids going to learn?

6 hours ago, DiverMike said:

... is this the picture that should be on the cover of the official publication of the USPA? Should the USPA really be promoting lighting your canopy on fire?  It gives it a sense of legitimacy and may even make some people think they can go to the SIM to find out how to do it. :)

I had the exact thought when I saw that cover, plus, "OOOOOH, that's where that dude on dz.com saw it..."

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 5:29 AM, DiverMike said:

I know I sound like an old man yelling at kids on his lawn, but is this the picture that should be on the cover of the official publication of the USPA? Should the USPA really be promoting lighting your canopy on fire? 

I don't think they are promoting it, any more than the pictures of BJ Worth doing movie stunts on the cover are "promoting" jumping with SCUBA gear.  It's just a cool picture of a stunt done while skydiving.