1 1
rtmjumper

Bought a new container and reserve

In 11/2011 I bought a new container and reserve direct from the manufacturer... I haven't been jumping much in the last 7 years and just had my reserve repacked, my rigger told me I have another 2 years on my reserve (he has a 20-year limit) this reserve was purchased NEW, I freaked out when he told me the production date was 2001 and not 2011. Is it common for a manufacturer to have a reserve on the shelf for 10 years and still sell it as NEW?? I'm starting to feel that I got a bum deal and kind of feel ripped off. 

I'm not saying who it is until I give them a chance to correct this error. Some advice would be great! 

BSBD -

Edited by rtmjumper
spelling error

No, it is not common for a manufacturer to sell you a brand new reserve that is 10 years old. Was it sold as brand new with no discount? Any canopy sold by any manufacturer would normally be manufactured in the current year unless stated otherwise.

I thought I got a good deal 3300.00 packed and shipped. 1800.00 container and 1300.00 reserves.... although airworthy I cant sale either. I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say. I could have gotten a PD reserve for that price but chose to go with the same mfg as the container. 

7 hours ago, rtmjumper said:

there was a typo on the card and my rigger was confused about how the serial number is read. 

Did he actually check the card matched the canopy in the container when he was inspecting the canopy?   

Numbers may be accidentally transposed or written down incorrectly on a card however this should probably be caught during the inspection when confirming this card matches the equipment being inspected.  This ensures any service bulletins against the gear are complied with.

22 hours ago, skyderrill66 said:

You need a real rigger. A rigger that puts a 20 year life span on a reserve is a rigger to run away from.

Not when some manufacturers are no longer servicing their own gear past 20 years.

For myself, it became as much a question of where I drew the line on liability as much as function.  I jump with a reserve that's over 20, but I've also had a long talk with that mfg and its on my back (no one else's).

And FWIW, while I have helped folks purchase gear, and technically Strong has me on their books as a dealer, I am not in the business of selling gear.

Just my $.02

JW

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 6:41 PM, skytribe said:

Did he actually check the card matched the canopy in the container when he was inspecting the canopy?   

Numbers may be accidentally transposed or written down incorrectly on a card however this should probably be caught during the inspection when confirming this card matches the equipment being inspected.  This ensures any service bulletins against the gear are complied with.

It's really the way that you read the serial number, one rigger wrote on the packing data card the way they thought it should be and the mistake took form. I don't fault anyone, I'm just happy that it wasn't true. I also don't fault a rigger that has a 20-year limit due to their own experience (CYA)