ethan_tan

Semi-stow D bag flaps remain tucked-in after jump

I just got my 1st gear. Yesterday during my last packing job before going home, I noticed that my Blaze Semi-Stowless D bag still has flaps closed (still tucked in) after my jump. Should the two flaps be open or closed after the main parachute comes out? Thanks. 

Below is the link of the D-bag packing instruction video, but I could not find any hints for the flap issue. 

That is the intended function of all the semi-stowless bags that I have ever seen. The reason why those tabs exist is so that you can insert the lines in. You then need to close it so that the lines remain contained and pull out in an orderly fashion. If the tabs opened all the time, there is risk that all the lines could just dump out all at once (which is called line dump), and that is unsafe. If you're finding that the tabs are open when you reach the ground, something is wrong and you need to get that looked at by a rigger. I have 550 jumps on a semi-stowless system and never once have the tabs been open when I landed, not even one side.

Edited by 20kN
  • Like 1