Croc

Sabre 2 or Crossfire 3?

I jumped a Sabre 170 (original not 2) for 24 years and just got a Crossfire 3 149.  I only have 10 jumps on it so far some and fly rather conservative.  The openings on my Crossfire are so soft and on heading.  The reason I bought it is because I had a super hard opening on my Sabre and blew up 3 cells.  So far I can't say enough good things about it.   Flies great, flares great, very stable in turbulence.  But the best part is the openings!

14 hours ago, Maddingo said:

You realise they are in a total different category right?

Maddingo, I will test jump the Crossfire 3, of course, but from the descriptions on the NZ Aerosports website I don't see the they are "totally different." How are they totally different?

15 minutes ago, Croc said:

Maddingo, I will test jump the Crossfire 3, of course, but from the descriptions on the NZ Aerosports website I don't see the they are "totally different." How are they totally different?

Looking at the description on that website I agree, it is hard for someone who doesn't already know to understand what an X-fire is all about. But if you dig past the marketing hype about "what a wonderful girl she is" you will see that it is a "fully elliptical" canopy with characteristics that are more like a Stiletto than a Sabre 2. The NZ Aerosports canopy that directly competes with the Sabre 2 is the Safire 3. 

Marketing these things like they are women just bugs me BTW.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Looking at the description on that website I agree, it is hard for someone who doesn't already know to understand what an X-fire is all about. But if you dig past the marketing hype about "what a wonderful girl she is" you will see that it is a "fully elliptical" canopy with characteristics that are more like a Stiletto than a Sabre 2. The NZ Aerosports canopy that directly competes with the Sabre 2 is the Safire 3. 

Marketing these things like they are women just bugs me BTW.

Not an X-Fire. Crossfire 3.I have a Safire 3. It is more like a Pilot than a Sabre 2,  it seems to me. Sabre 2 flies like my storm and lands like nothing I have ever owned.

Edited by Croc

Just now, Croc said:

Not an X-Fire. Crossfire 3.

Sorry, I assumed you would understand. X-fire is often used as shorthand, like X-mas is for Christmas. But of course Icarus World and NZ Aerosports like to confuse everyone, including me. What I said applies to the NZ Crossfire 3 to be more clear. Most people would not consider it to be in the class as a Sabre 2.

14 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Sorry, I assumed you would understand. X-fire is often used as shorthand, like X-mas is for Christmas. But of course Icarus World and NZ Aerosports like to confuse everyone, including me. What I said applies to the NZ Crossfire 3 to be more clear. Most people would not consider it to be in the class as a Sabre 2.

From the descriptions on the Icarus website the X-Fire seems to be much different than the NZ Aerosports Crossfire 3. Aren't they? I have an email to Julien at NZ Aerosports, so I'll see what he says. And yes, it is confusing.

The marketing is different and yes, an X-fire is not the same as a Crossfire 3, but it is similar.  However, I thought you were choosing between a Sabre 2 and a Crossfire? All the comments here are about making sure you understand that these are very different canopies in very different classes. Like I already said, the Safire 3 competes with the Sabre 2. Crossfires, X-fires, Stilettos, and even Katanas are all elliptical canopies and are share characteristics.

You need to decide what you are looking for in a canopy and it is clear that you don't yet understand what each of these designs do. Do not rely on the marketing of the manufacturer. Talk to experienced people who have jumped different types of canopies. That said, all these are very good canopies, but it is important that you understand just what they do before you decide. If you are looking at Sabre 2s you should also be looking at Safire3, S-fire, and even Pilots for comparison.

3 hours ago, gowlerk said:

The marketing is different and yes, an X-fire is not the same as a Crossfire 3, but it is similar.  However, I thought you were choosing between a Sabre 2 and a Crossfire? All the comments here are about making sure you understand that these are very different canopies in very different classes. Like I already said, the Safire 3 competes with the Sabre 2. Crossfires, X-fires, Stilettos, and even Katanas are all elliptical canopies and are share characteristics.

You need to decide what you are looking for in a canopy and it is clear that you don't yet understand what each of these designs do. Do not rely on the marketing of the manufacturer. Talk to experienced people who have jumped different types of canopies. That said, all these are very good canopies, but it is important that you understand just what they do before you decide. If you are looking at Sabre 2s you should also be looking at Safire3, S-fire, and even Pilots for comparison.

OK. Thanks. I have a Safire 3.

Edited by Croc

12 hours ago, tanj said:

I jumped a Sabre 170 (original not 2) for 24 years and just got a Crossfire 3 149.  I only have 10 jumps on it so far some and fly rather conservative.  The openings on my Crossfire are so soft and on heading.  The reason I bought it is because I had a super hard opening on my Sabre and blew up 3 cells.  So far I can't say enough good things about it.   Flies great, flares great, very stable in turbulence.  But the best part is the openings!

Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

I don't know what have you been reading on their webpage but they clearly outline to whom the cf 3 is tailored to quote:

At light wingloadings of 1.0 to 1.4, the Crossfire 3 is suitable as a first or second fully elliptical 9-cell for confident intermediate jumpers stepping it up a notch or three from their Safire 2, 3 or equivalent. We recommend a minimum of 500 jumps on a square or semi-elliptical canopy before moving to a Crossfire 3 of an appropriate wingloading for these jumpers.

At higher wingloadings of 1.5 and above, the Crossfire 3 is an all new machine for those jumpers already accustomed to flying smaller/higher loaded Crossfire 2's or other elliptical 9-cells. She's a step up in performance. She whips around, dives hard, recovers slow, and eats up the ground in a swoop. She is perfect for advanced pilots who want a fun hassle-free canopy without going crossbraced, and a favorite among team flyers and camera-flyers.

From what I heard a Crossfire is an elliptical beast, truly meant for pilots who mastered the fundamentals of canopy flight and are looking for advanced performance.

not sure what that was new crossfire from NZ or Spain.... But my friend with reasonable wingloading (less then 2) swoop it really well. I was surprized, that new Schuman or whatever it is called design seems really make a difference for that wing. 

It would be my first fully elliptical, and with 1200 jumps and loaded about 1.25 it does not seem to be too radical a move. I will demo it, of course. I have a Safire 3 which seems a bit docile, although I am considering just getting a smaller