2 2
NewGuy2005

Recommend a Beach Close to Atlanta

Hi Folks!

My wife and I will be in Atlanta (actually Peachtree City) in late July.  We are thinking of running down to the ocean for a day or two.  Our time will be very limited, so that's why it needs to be close.  We will drive to the beach Friday night and come back Sunday afternoon.

Thanks!

Myrtle Beach is a tourist trap: golf, t-shirt shops and strip clubs, the beach is nice, typical east coast sand, plenty of beach front places to stay, waves are loud if you want that sound.
If you want to go east then there's Isle of Palms and Sullivans Island immediately north of Charleston, and Folly Beach just to the south, IOP/Sully beaches are the same as MB but much less cheesy, many neat restaurants, small town feel. Folly is an old style hippie place, plenty of the younger crowd, small town, beach is similar to the above. If you go to Folly you need to stay on Folly. You could stay off Folly on James Island or Charleston but the traffic is terrible with all the day trippers.
Florida panhandle is a much better than MB, better beaches, soft white sand.

For me, assuming distance wasn't an issue: FL, Folly=IOP/Sully then MB. But I'm 2 hours from Charleston and 2.5 to MB. Hugely prefer the panhandle.

All of them will be packed with people and kids, and restaurants will be full.

On 2/22/2019 at 7:56 PM, NewGuy2005 said:

Our time will be very limited, so that's why it needs to be close.

You're talking about going from Atlanta (Georgia?) to the beach and ask that it needs to be close?  I don't mean to sound like a smart ass but you've looked at a map right?

What's close to me may not be close to you.  I live ten plus hours away from the nearest beach.  With that in mind, four to five hours away is not bad.  We aren't going there and back in one day.  It will be a three day weekend.  Probably too much trouble for most people, but if you've only been to the ocean four times in your life, why not?

On 2/23/2019 at 2:09 PM, Niki1 said:

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina is probably the best, closest beach. East on I-20 through Florence SC. Maybe Savanah but I've never been there. 7 hours or more to Daytona Beach.

Does Savannah have a beach? I thought those people all went to Hilton Head. Don't know.

If you can make it to the panhandle, do it. Best beaches, sugar sand, unbelievable blue water color. You're not going to surf there, but it is relaxing

Anywhere from Jacksonville down to Daytona, you get a lot of the outflow from the St John's River. The water is murky. Don't expect to see blue water. If you do, it's a gift. Enjoy it. St Augustine has a bunch of beaches, not as far south as Daytona, and the town is pretty nice to hang out in. 

• Like 1