Gentryb

How much can you lengthena harness?

I recently found a rig for sale that has a perfect set up for myself, but the only problem is it’s sized for someone a little smaller than I am. I’m about 6’3” but the rig was made for someone 5’8”-5’11”. Is it possible to extend the length of the harness that much and if so how much does something like that usually cost?

All harness /container systems can be resized. How much the cost will be depends on how much work needs to be done and often who does it. The nicest work if done by the factory, but they will most often want to completely rebuild the harness. A master rigger can be considerably cheaper. At your size you can look a long time to find something perfect, so a re-size could be a good idea for you. You should figure anywhere from $400 to $700 in my experience. (making a harness smaller is often much cheaper)

Is it a articulated harness ?.   Does it have 4 or 2 rings ?.    Does the rig have the right size yoke for you ?

All will come into play when making a used harness fit you.    The yoke size cannot be adjusted.   As the person is a similar size and build then this will probably be OK.   If the harness is a 4 ringed articulated harness then the adjustment is probably a cheaper and simpler fix that a master rigger could do - however it may work out easier and cheaper to just send it back to the manufacturer.    Lengthening the MLW on an articulated harness can also create another issue if the lateral attachments are also not adjusted.  (Personal experience on one of my containers).

If the fix is more detailed - ie. its not an articulated harness and the laterals also need resizing then you may as well just send it back to the manufacturer with your measurements and let them rebuild a harness exactly for your dimensions.    You may also want to take a look at some things like the legstraps/legpads as sometimes these may not be right as some people have big thighs and others not so big.  Shortening is not too difficult but if they are too short then that can be a problem.

a container re-harnessed may work out viable based upon the cost of the used container.   The container is sized for the canopies and the harness is sized for the person who is wearing it.

It's very difficult to give you a good answer based on height differences alone.

The easiest way to get a good answer is to go to the manufacturer's site, go to the 'how to measure' page and get yourself measured. Don't try to do it yourself. A rigger or tailor is your best bet, but the reality is that anyone who can read a tape measure and follow directions can do it adequately. 
Then take those measurements and the serial number of the prospective rig. 
Send those to the manufacturer and ask them.

• Like 1