2 2
Meso

Questions and Answers Forum

Hey guys,

Just looking to gauge some interest here. I'm interested in adding a "Questions and Answers" area to the forums. Somewhere that one can ask a question and get answers which can be upvoted by other users, and the best answer selected by the post creator. The idea behind this, is that sometimes there's great information posted in a thread, but it can take forever to go through all the posts and try locate the best answer. 

This would make it so that information would be neatly presented and someone looking for insight could read both the question and the best answer listed directly next to each other, eliminating the need to go through a ton of posts to find the best answer. If you want to read the rest, you're still able to. But the best voted, or OP selected answer will be easily visible.

I definitely think it could prove a valuable asset that helps promote learning in a more streamlined way than a traditional forum thread.

What are your guys thoughts, and how do you think would be the best way to create it. A single section for all Q&A? Or perhaps several Q&A forum sections (Beginner Q&A, Skilled/Proficient Q&A, Advanced Q&A) etc. 

Any thoughts would be useful

like StackOverflow? I would think it would also work to have a special post type that would create a question format that would turn just that post into a q & a, that way the question could stay in the relevant forum.

But StackOverflow has the Q & A format down, so cloning theirs would be great. It raises the question, who is the Jon Skeet of DZ.com? pchapman would be closest these days, IMHO

8 hours ago, SethInMI said:

like StackOverflow? I would think it would also work to have a special post type that would create a question format that would turn just that post into a q & a, that way the question could stay in the relevant forum.

But StackOverflow has the Q & A format down, so cloning theirs would be great. It raises the question, who is the Jon Skeet of DZ.com? pchapman would be closest these days, IMHO

The functionality is almost identical to stackoverflow. And it exists already on this software, just need to activate it.

Any thoughts of the best way to use it? I have my ideas, but would like input from the community too.

One forum for all Q&A, or split up into sections? And what sections make sense? Could do licenses but that's not a global standard. 

49 minutes ago, Administrator said:

One forum for all Q&A, or split up into sections?

I would recommend one common Q&A 'forum', otherwise overlapping subjects could be difficult to pin to one specific area.

Is it envisaged that the Q&A forum is moderated, so that only legitimate Q's & A's are allowed to avoid noise?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Erroll said:

I would recommend one common Q&A 'forum', otherwise overlapping subjects could be difficult to pin to one specific area.

Is it envisaged that the Q&A forum is moderated, so that only legitimate Q's & A's are allowed to avoid noise?

It will be moderated, though fairly lightly. The wonders of the Q&A functionality is that noise is automatically filtered out. Posts that are downvoted by users are pushed to the bottom, while posts that people find insightful are pushed to the top. Meaning that posting shit content will serve no point as your comment will just get pushed to the bottom of the thread and be unseen. 

Aren't all the forum threads Q&A? 

Of concern would be where to put the relevant question for the proper forum. If I have a question about a skydiving discipline - do I put it in that specific discipline forum or the Q&A forum?

Edited by BIGUN
spelling

52 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Aren't all the forum threads Q&A? 

Of concern would be where to put the relevant question for the proper forum. If I have a question about a skydiving discipline - do I put it in that specific discipline forum or the Q&A forum?

Well they serve as both, but the one os more a discussion. 

The Q&A would be more for those looking to get a simple direct answer. It is up to the user where to place it, we won't move questions to it, but if someone wants to, they have the ability to use the Q&A

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 9:25 AM, Meso said:

Hey guys,

Just looking to gauge some interest here. I'm interested in adding a "Questions and Answers" area to the forums. Somewhere that one can ask a question and get answers which can be upvoted by other users, and the best answer selected by the post creator. The idea behind this, is that sometimes there's great information posted in a thread, but it can take forever to go through all the posts and try locate the best answer. 

This would make it so that information would be neatly presented and someone looking for insight could read both the question and the best answer listed directly next to each other, eliminating the need to go through a ton of posts to find the best answer. If you want to read the rest, you're still able to. But the best voted, or OP selected answer will be easily visible.

I definitely think it could prove a valuable asset that helps promote learning in a more streamlined way than a traditional forum thread.

What are your guys thoughts, and how do you think would be the best way to create it. A single section for all Q&A? Or perhaps several Q&A forum sections (Beginner Q&A, Skilled/Proficient Q&A, Advanced Q&A) etc. 

Any thoughts would be useful

Excellent idea.  No need to separate IMO, as many folks will just slap their question in a chosen forum arbitrarily.