2 2
a1964corvette

Aon2 X2 or Dekunu One for Wingsuiting

I’m going to buy a new digital altimeter and was wondering if anyone had feed back on either or both altimeters for wingsuiting. I’ve been told that both can log the gps data from the jumps to analyze afterward, but it looks like the dekunu has a better platform to view the data. I know that neither will be as accurate as a flightsight but I’m a weekend warrior and I don’t swoop so my thoughts are this should be good enough? Am I wrong? Thank you for any help!

I own an X2 and use it on every jump. Currently there is not really anyway to export and view GPS data. The most you get is GPS navigation while in flight. It will give you an arrow and a distance indicator (in mi or km) pointing to the DZ while the device is in wingsuit mode. This is in case you get lost in the air or whatever. I have not used a Dekunu but I've seen them on the plane many times. They dont look attractive to me in that they seem to have a quite short battery life and there is way too much info on the screen. It's too complex and convoluted. The X2 is much more simple in that regard.

If you want to actually analyze your flight you're going to need a FlySight or other portable GPS. The X2 is really just an altimeter that is supplemented by limited GPS info to tell you what direction you're going, how fast and how far away you are from the DZ.

Regardless of which device you get, expect to charge it every day you jump. The Bluetooth and GPS functionality eats up a ton of battery life. I can only get about three full days of jumping out of my X2 before I'm around 20% battery. They claim they intend to reprogram the Bluetooth module in the future to reduce battery consumption, but regardless you'll need to charge it regularly.

Also know that the X2 is still extremely new and there are only a few hundred units in existence. This means that the device is receiving regular software updates (nearly bi-weekly at the moment) and the software will probably change a lot over the coming year.

Edited by 20kN

I have a dekunu.  You can download the data in a flysight compatible file and view it in flysight viewer.  They also have a wingsuit mode that displays altitude, speed and glide ratio.  Aside from that I love the climb to altitude screen. 

The downside of Dekunu is that they are kind of a work in progress.  It's much more polished and refined now than it was originally.  It's just that some parts of it like bluetooth are not functional yet but they are releasing continuous updates.  I'm hoping it can someday become a flysight replacement but we will have to wait and see.

2 hours ago, Meanee said:

I have Dekunu and I find their wingsuit mount to be trash. It just bends and makes it difficult to read. Other than that, they did improve a lot and unit is not bad.

I can already tell you that I’m not going to spend $100 on a mount. I’ll figure something out. Do you like the wingsuit mode?

And to 20Kn and kat00, thank you for your insight! 

Edited by a1964corvette

I have the X2 and love it. I don't have much more to add to what 20 said. I'm sure at one point they will add the ability to export the data. You could always email them and ask where it is on their dev plan.  I like the fact they are constantly releasing updates and adding features and think it looks better than the Dekunu, but that's just my opinion.

The one thing that turned me off from the Dekunu was the touch screen. I spent 10 years working with touch screens of all kinds for point-of-sales systems and don't want one on my alti. 

I will also add that the support over at Aon2 is fantastic. They are always quick on the reply and helping. 

9 hours ago, spdFlyer said:

The one thing that turned me off from the Dekunu was the touch screen

Actually I find the touch screen to be one of the biggest selling points of Dekunu over the X2. I own both and I HATE using the 3 button interface on the X2. Using the touch screen is so much more intuitive, way easier to find things in the menu, easier to use while on the ride to altitude, etc.

On the topic of the screens, they are very different! The Dekunu has lit up screen (like a cellphone), whereas the X2 has a passive screen (more like a watch screen). Neither is strictly better than the other... X2 might be a bit better in direct sun, but overall I find it easier to read the dekunu in most cases. Dekunu has wider viewing angle, and usually its in the shade on my chest strap while wingsuiting, so the lit up screen it more readable. Plus the LCD screen on the X2 sometimes interferes with polarized sunglasses.

Overall, I like the Dekunu more, but I am excited to see how both these units get upgraded over time.

32 minutes ago, platypii said:

Actually I find the touch screen to be one of the biggest selling points of Dekunu over the X2. I own both and I HATE using the 3 button interface on the X2. Using the touch screen is so much more intuitive, way easier to find things in the menu, easier to use while on the ride to altitude, etc.

On the topic of the screens, they are very different! The Dekunu has lit up screen (like a cellphone), whereas the X2 has a passive screen (more like a watch screen). Neither is strictly better than the other... X2 might be a bit better in direct sun, but overall I find it easier to read the dekunu in most cases. Dekunu has wider viewing angle, and usually its in the shade on my chest strap while wingsuiting, so the lit up screen it more readable. Plus the LCD screen on the X2 sometimes interferes with polarized sunglasses.

Overall, I like the Dekunu more, but I am excited to see how both these units get upgraded over time.

You can set the backlight on the X2 to stay on all the time if you want. The manufacturer has it disabled by default because the backlight will eat up battery life quickly.

Edited by 20kN

On 2/12/2019 at 2:45 PM, a1964corvette said:

I can already tell you that I’m not going to spend $100 on a mount. I’ll figure something out. Do you like the wingsuit mode?

And to 20Kn and kat00, thank you for your insight! 

Their mount is essentially like the Wedge mount from chuting star but it comes with a Dekunu case that has a velcro wrap.  The wingsuit mode is nice but honestly you can't really stare at it unless you are solo.  For flocking, the big alti screen is probably better.  It would be much cooler if you could configure some of the display but thats all wishlist stuff.

On 2/13/2019 at 9:15 PM, kat00 said:

Their mount is essentially like the Wedge mount from chuting star but it comes with a Dekunu case that has a velcro wrap.  

This is one thing that pissed me off about their mount. I already own Chutingstar wedge mount. But it's not possible to mount Dekunu on it without the velcro wrap. I'd rather just buy velcro wrap for Dekunu and use my wedge mount. At least it's sturdier. 

7 hours ago, Meanee said:

This is one thing that pissed me off about their mount. I already own Chutingstar wedge mount. But it's not possible to mount Dekunu on it without the velcro wrap. I'd rather just buy velcro wrap for Dekunu and use my wedge mount. At least it's sturdier. 

It's not easily visible but you can:

https://shop.dekunu.tech/dekunu-wingsuit-mount-extra-bumper-attachment/