MakeItHappen

USPA Board Meeting

The reason for the creation and passing of this BSR is simply to collect data from the field.  Safety and training committee believes there may be lots of AAD fires occurring in the field unreported, or there may be few.  The data collected is only used to measure trends or patterns, and ultimately make the sport safer. The collected data from a self-report may not be used for disciplinary action. One of the primary goals of USPA is to promote safety of the membership. The hope is this data may save lives, thus the creation of this self-report.

Paul Gholson

4 hours ago, baronn said:

No problem. IF this is true, they can simply collect it from the S&TA. This is completely un-necessary to have the members report it. 

There may not be an S&TA on the DZ, and the DZ may not even have an S&TA.  The report needs to come from those most familiar with the situation, and that would be the skydivers on the jump, or the supervising instructor if it is a student jumper on self supervision.  Yes, you may not realize it, but every student self supervision jump must have a supervising instructor, and, that instructor may be on the ground. 

Further, there is actually no mandatory requirement, and there never has been, that anyone make an incident report other than the report made mandatory by this BSR.

This BSR came about from a passionate plea from the USPA Director of Safety & Training, Ron Bell.  Ron felt that is was so important to receive these reports that a trade for no disciplinary action was a fair trade to glean the information that he felt was critical to further USPA safety goals.  By the way, Ron is doing a great job in his new position with USPA.

Mike Mullins

USPA National Director

So suddenly, having this report is somehow important?  We get a new a new S&T and this becomes a priority? Please share with us why? I know Ron and am surprised he wanted this. Not a single person has come on this forum and given anything close to a reason for it. Just the usual, "We discussed it and we came to this and blah, blah, blah...." 

1 hour ago, baronn said:

So suddenly, having this report is somehow important?  We get a new a new S&T and this becomes a priority? Please share with us why? I know Ron and am surprised he wanted this. Not a single person has come on this forum and given anything close to a reason for it. Just the usual, "We discussed it and we came to this and blah, blah, blah...." 

Having reports relating to safety and incidents has always been important but USPA was simply not receiving incident reports in most cases.  The reason for the reports is safety.  USPA needs to identify safety issues so that we can address possible solutions.  For example, the problem with canopy collisions was addressed with the GM pledge to separate high performance landing areas for normal landing areas.

You can be surprised as much as you wish with Ron Bell passionately asking for these reports, it does not change the fact that it is his position that he really wants these reports.  I suggest you go ask him, and ask him specifically if he "passionately" wants this, as I have described.

As far as a "new" Safety & Training Committee, it has changed little and the Chair is still the same person, Michael Wadkins.

Mike Mullins

On 2/9/2019 at 8:37 AM, baronn said:

No problem. IF this is true, they can simply collect it from the S&TA. This is completely un-necessary to have the members report it. 

If the S+TA was there.  If the S+TA knew what happened.  If the DZ has an S+TA.  If not, you'd need the people involved to report it.

On 2/9/2019 at 10:37 AM, baronn said:

A Summary of S&TA responsibilities is here:

https://uspa.org/Safety-Training/Safety-Training-Advisors

You should read it and learn. It will help you understand their role better.

Mite want to read your own advice before giving it to others. 1st line;

The principal responsibility of the S&TA is to promote safe skydiving. Toward that goal, the S&TA serves specific advisory and administrative functions:

• Observes skydiving operations to verify compliance with the Basic Safety Requirements
  •  
  • Listen, we can go back and forth like this all day. It comes rite down to the same question I asked at the beginning, Is this a real Problem?. Not 1 person has answered that. Fire an AAD and it's a minimum of a 225 jump. Any student that does that will get a thorough refreshing on alti awareness and a bill. Can't imagine anyone making a habit out of this.So keep yer " For safety" speeches and give a REAL reason this suddenly needs to change...

• Like 1

It's not exactly the same situation, but here in the flight test department at Textron Aviation (aka Cessna and Beechcraft) we created and implemented an in-house process to self-report a number of aviation incidents that aren't required to be reported to the FAA.  Although it does include those as well (turbine engine failures, altitude deviations, etc.).  The intent of the process is to figure out areas we as a flight test department could improve.  The reports are anonymous, and we actually have an understanding with the FAA to help protect our pilots legally in return to passing on the data to them.  Several hundred reports have been filed over the last few years, everything ranging from system failures to TA/RA to dialing the wrong frequency.  The result has been pretty eye opening for the organization, and in turn has helped shape our monthly safety meetings and yearly safety stand-down topics and training.  The data has helped our local ATC update their procedures and training as well.

Nothing specific made this program become a reality.  It didn't take an accident or realization of some new problem.  Sometimes it's simply noticing that things can be improved.  I have no doubt the USPA wants this info for very similar reasons that we do.  Probably no conspiracy or witch hunt involved.

Edited by linebckr83
  • Like 1

Seems this has stalled out. Not too surprising. I believe most skydivers haven't had this happen and most don't care what the USPA does with the BSR's. I am concerned about the decisions I see coming from the board as I believe some of them are not in touch with what is actually happening in our sport today. It is encouraging that we now have an active skydiver as Prez and an S&T director that has come up thru the ranks as both an active sport jumper and instructor. I personally feel the BSR for reporting this is unnecessary. I simply cannot see why the board feels they need to intervene with the hint of retaliation against its own dues paying members if they don't comply. Absolutely 0 assurance this will be kept confidential with a statistically average use of 1 in 37,500 jumps. I think this just shows where the BOD's attention is and IMO, it's in the wrong direction.

I have seen two different AAD fires on AFF jumps (from the ground) at different places. I was able to narrowly avoid having it happen to me on a Cat E2 AFF several years back. Got the students reserve pulled at 2K.

I have no problems with this BSR. The added information from factual reports may provide input for AFFI courses and added or better emphasis of training in different areas.

If you're writing these reports regularly something is wrong. Seems like good information for our organization to have.

Edited by jacketsdb23
  • Like 1