FlyinDawg

When to become swooper?

when i started jumping i saw the swoopers coming in and it looked fun, i also said base jumping and crw were for nutcases and rw was boring, now after only 65 jumps and watching lots of videos, speaking to lots of experienced guys etc i now wouldnt swoop if you paid me, think base jumping has to be tried and would love to get into crw (used to fly planes, loved formation flying). also now think rw is awesome, and although i want to learn to freefly and get good at it rw is good enough for me

When I started jumping, I didn't have any interest in ever swooping or realy flying a high performance canopy.

However, not so long ago, an experienced swooper at our dropzone came to me for help with a problem concerning the mechanics and dynamics of swooping (I'm a student in engineering).
While working and thinking about the problem it kinda got me interested in doing swooping myself some day. Talking to him and working on that problem (currently still working on it) kinda showed to me that swooping is more science then just 'pulling down a front riser and releasing it at the rigth time'.

I'm still far away from swooping myself, but maybe some day...

I sweared on not ever jumping with a sub 200 sqft canopy in 2001.

I sweared on not ever swooping my Pilot150 when I've bought 3 years ago.

I had countless(150-200???) of 1000m jumps and I can land it quite well almost whereever I want.

I had ~50 double front riser approaches so far and I'm going to try 90 degrees approaches too.

I said all of these until one day I got a little turf surf by accident to get myself out of a puddle and was like hmmm that is fun so I tried to start doing it at like 200 jumps

at 260 I left a divot and wound up with titanium

upsized to a sabre2 170

jumps 261-265 I swore I wouldnt swoop again

jumps 266 decided I would and carved a 90 and got some nice swoop out of a sabre2 170

jumps 266-425 learning to swoop under a sabre 2 170
jumps 426-495 swooping under a sabre2 150
jumps 495 - 680 swooping under a crossfire 2 129 somewhere in there I got a shitload of canopy coaching and instruction by brian germain and was told maybe it just might be a good idea to downsize one size
680-693 (current) learnign to fly the 119 crossfire2

and all of this after I swore swooping was going to be much later in my career...

so my reccomendation...wait hone your skills get coachign on pattern accuracy and general flying of your canopy...learn how all of your control inputs affect how your canopy flies...and ask a shitload of questions...remember you do not have to rewrite the book, many people before you learned the hard way so perhaps you dont have to...

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I don't think I will ever have enough jumps to swoop. It looks dangerous to me. I don't care how good you think you are.

I used to jump rounds so the idea of hitting the ground hard is just not very appealing.

I will stick to the standard downwnd, base, and final. Stand-up tippy-toe landings thank you very much!

Fly fast, land soft.