baronn

182 gear leg failure

What would be the prevention here? Non-destructive testing at some interval? Magna-flux or x-ray? 

I think we all know that with metal parts there isn't always visible damage on the surface even though the part may have a major internal flaw. 

The DZ I'm at had it happen once, about 15 years ago to one of their C-182's, late 1960's vintage I believe, while taxiing out.  Bent the wing and horizontal tail but was fixed up. At the time the DZ was rocking as many as 6 182's .
After that the DZO did start cycling airplanes through maintenance to have the flat-bar gear legs removed and inspected. I vaguely recall x-ray inspections were planned, but on the other hand I helped with stripping paint so some Magnaflux style test must have been on the agenda. So I don't know if it was one or both or what makes sense.

In any case, repetitive jump ops on grass at near max gross weights must use up a lot of fatigue life, and you never know if there's a hidden nick or scratch somewhere. I know the break point was near the fuselage, but I don't recall if it was hidden within the heavy gear 'box' structure that holds the gear leg as it goes into the fuselage. Those gear boxes get a beating too and I guess can be partially inspected when the floor boards are unscrewed or unriveted? Not sure.

I'm saying all this just as a jumper, not as anyone with 182 maintenance experience.

Put the refurb'd gear in and had the old NDT'd. Passed and then sent them to be shotpeened. Will have them back in a week.. I'll have them for sale if anyone is interested. I was told by the shotpeen guy that they do a lot of these for Textron (Cessna Parent co.) Clearly Cessna feels its a good idea even though it hasn't been recommended or mandated. Have a few more snap off and it's likely the FAA will change that. As any A or B model is over 60 yrs old and knockin on 15-20K cycles, it really it is amazing it's not happened more often