2 2
robertmdrew

New RI mard? Riggers?

Two weekends ago I was in Eloy. Sandy and I had the run of the shop for 3 days with nobody there. He showed me how to pack the mojo. Although I am not totally sold on mards, look's like this one is the best so far. RI is big on exploring new stuff. They seem to go almost over board on engineering if there is such a thing. This leads to coming up with the next step as far as advancing the sport. I am sure that, in time, there will be another model by someone. Keep it up everyone, full speed ahead. 

• Like 1

I agree it is nifty looking but as far as calling It the best on the market very far-fetched . I came to the understanding that grabbing a hold of your reserve bridal  before any type of deployment was a no-no.  So in my opinion any Mard  that is already attached inside your reserve container isn’t the way to go  and therefore not the best .  Having a mard that allows you to have a normal reserve deployment without disconnecting is only the Trap System. 

22 hours ago, robertmdrew said:

RI's new mard (the mojo). Just curious on expert opinions of it's design

Hi Robert,

Anyone who was at the Symposium two yrs ago could have seen it.  It was developed by Airborne Systems and was on one of their rigs at their booth.  It was 'given' to RI as they & Airborne Systems have a close working relationships with each other.  RI had a mockup at their booth two yrs ago.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Robert,

Anyone who was at the Symposium two yrs ago could have seen it.  It was developed by Airborne Systems and was on one of their rigs at their booth.  It was 'given' to RI as they & Airborne Systems have a close working relationships with each other.  RI had a mockup at their booth two yrs ago.

Jerry Baumchen

People can see it here  2017 PIA Symposium – Rigging Innovations

4 hours ago, meat.missile said:

This looks very close to what Wings uses.

Look again.  The MOJO operating principle is closer to that of a Skyhook in that both use a lever to balance the drag of the freebag against the drag of the pilot chute.  (Forget that "race between the reserve pilot chute and the main" stuff.  For most MARD deployments, the bridle is in an inverted "V", up from the bag to the MARD, then down from the MARD to the pilot chute.)  For Wings/Boost and Glide/Ace (and also Sky Anchor, Trap, and whatever Firebird will call their MARD), the operating method depends on detecting whether the bridle is folded or stretched out at the point where the RSL extension attaches to the bridle.

24 minutes ago, mark said:

Look again.  The MOJO operating principle is closer to that of a Skyhook in that both use a lever to balance the drag of the freebag against the drag of the pilot chute.  (Forget that "race between the reserve pilot chute and the main" stuff.  For most MARD deployments, the bridle is in an inverted "V", up from the bag to the MARD, then down from the MARD to the pilot chute.)  For Wings/Boost and Glide/Ace (and also Sky Anchor, Trap, and whatever Firebird will call their MARD), the operating method depends on detecting whether the bridle is folded or stretched out at the point where the RSL extension attaches to the bridle.

This one also requires detecting if the bridle is under tension.

On 2/4/2019 at 4:04 PM, meat.missile said:

This one also requires detecting if the bridle is under tension.

Not really. With the Mojo, the bridle can be under full tension and still have the Mojo connected. The Mojo will disconnect when the angle between the RSL lanyard and upper portion of the reserve bridle approaches 90° (I don't know the exact number) under tension.  

23 minutes ago, KellyF said:

Not really. With the Mojo, the bridle can be under full tension and still have the Mojo connected. The Mojo will disconnect when the angle between the RSL lanyard and upper portion of the reserve bridle approaches 90° (I don't know the exact number) under tension.  

Not sure if you read detecting as detaching but what you say is basically what I was going for. Since tension is the only force applied, the MARD relies on it. Whether that be tension on the RSL lanyard on from the PC.

It still has to disconnect from the bridle. I have a question what about if I want to do crew jumps one day and then free fly the next day do I need to get my rigger to open my reserve container and disconnect the Mard and then when I am done crew go back to my rigger for a repack to hook the MARD back up ? Or do I just disconnect my RSL and let it flap in the wind on a reserve ride. O  wait I don’t use my RSL when doing crew. You know if you had a trap system all you need to do is disconnect your RSL shackle and tuck it behind your ring cover and you  will have regular reserve deployment because IT IS NOT CONNECTED TO THE BRIDLE. And when done with crew for the day hook your RSL back up and you are good to go ...sorry Mr rigger or Miss. Mirage always has my back.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 6:38 PM, mark said:

(Forget that "race between the reserve pilot chute and the main" stuff.  For most MARD deployments, the bridle is in an inverted "V", up from the bag to the MARD, then down from the MARD to the pilot chute.)  For Wings/Boost and Glide/Ace (and also Sky Anchor, Trap,

Mark I am not sure what you mean by the race. A Mard uses the malfunctioning main canopy to draw the reserve out of the container the only time there would be a race as if the main didn’t have enough drag witch is highly unlikely because a malfunctioning main has more drag then a RPC even a bag locks tends to have enough drag  although if you go to Mirage website they have  scenarios of the trap system in action. If you look at the very last  scenario it is a bag lock and the jumper is on his back and at the last second you can see the reserve pilot chute taking over and continuing the job BECAUSE OF DRAG.