wmw999

Heard in South Florida

Eating dinner tonight I’ve gotten an earful. All the bubba talk you can imagine (with some gentle pushback from his dinner companions). Race relations, homosexuality, media, education, you name it. 

The the coup de grace: people are so sick of the way politics works, with the politicians thinking it’s about them, that we elected someone like Donald Trump. That’s how pissed we are. 

Wendy P. 

4 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Eating dinner tonight I’ve gotten an earful. All the bubba talk you can imagine (with some gentle pushback from his dinner companions). Race relations, homosexuality, media, education, you name it. 

The the coup de grace: people are so sick of the way politics works, with the politicians thinking it’s about them, that we elected someone like Donald Trump. That’s how pissed we are. 

Wendy P. 

Are you in Polk county?  ( People Of Limited Knowledge )

I had to have a conversation on why the recent tax reformed happened and why bills were going up for several of my family members. They all blamed Obama for the tax changes and claimed this was something he did on his way out of office to screw over Trump since he was mad that Hillary lost.

I did find it interesting that he considers it to be “forcing him to accept” for two gay men to show visible affection. I wish I’d asked him why it was OK for him to share his views so loudly that I had no choice but to hear them.  I never think of those things in time. 

Wendy P 

44 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

I wish I’d asked him why it was OK for him to share his views so loudly that I had no choice but to hear them.  I never think of those things in time. 

I wouldn't worry about it too much. No doubt the answer would simply have been 'because I'm normal'.

51 minutes ago, jakee said:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. No doubt the answer would simply have been 'because I'm normal'.

Ignorance, the new normal. You don't have to be a political policy wonk. To understand and develop a B.S. detector.

Well I hope that this doesn't derail you're thread Wendy. But it seems as if the Bubba's in Florida have a new political  sponsor:

Florida bill would allow schools to teach alternatives to climate change and evolution

'A new bill proposed in Florida would allow school districts to teach alternatives to “controversial theories” such as human-caused climate change and evolution.

State Sen. Dennis Baxley (R) sponsored the bill because he said that schools need to have the ability to teach “different worldviews,” according to the Tampa Bay Times.“Nothing is ever settled if it’s science, because people are always questioning science,” Baxley told the news outlet. “If you look at the history of human learning, for a long time the official worldview was that the world was flat. Anything you now accept as fact comes from a perspective and you learn from examining different schools of thought.”

26 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

“Nothing is ever settled if it’s science, because people are always questioning science,” Baxley told the news outlet. “If you look at the history of human learning, for a long time the official worldview was that the world was flat. Anything you now accept as fact comes from a perspective and you learn from examining different schools of thought.”

Exactly.  Teach all sides and let kids decide!  They are not dummies.  Sure, the Earth looks round.  But it could be flat; no one really knows.  And vaccines?  Who knows if they work or not?  After all, no one has ever actually seen an infectious disease.  And they SAY that seasons are caused by the tilt of the Earth or some such, but wouldn't it make more sense if summer was caused by the Sun coming closer?

And not just science; things like history too.  Mainstream history tells us that Osama bin Laden was behind 9/11, but I heard a guy say it was George Bush who planned it all.  Let the kids know the full story!

2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Nothing is ever settled if it’s science, because people are always questioning science,” Baxley told the news outlet. “If you look at the history of human learning, for a long time the official worldview was that the world was flat.”

Oh these guys. Where did the idea that the world was flat come from? Not science. How did we find out the world wasn't flat? Science. Using scientific techniques a guy with a stick, a calendar and a sunny day was able to not only prove the earth was round, but have a damn good go at saying how big it was.

So for some reason, thousands of years later some people still thought the earth was flat but that wasn't anything to do with scientists, it was because of all the Baxleyso.O

21 hours ago, billvon said:

Exactly.  Teach all sides and let kids decide!  They are not dummies.  Sure, the Earth looks round.  But it could be flat; no one really knows.  And vaccines?  Who knows if they work or not?  After all, no one has ever actually seen an infectious disease.  And they SAY that seasons are caused by the tilt of the Earth or some such, but wouldn't it make more sense if summer was caused by the Sun coming closer?

And not just science; things like history too.  Mainstream history tells us that Osama bin Laden was behind 9/11, but I heard a guy say it was George Bush who planned it all.  Let the kids know the full story!

Satire like this can be dangerous if read by those with room temperature IQs. (Or who are you and what have you done with Bill)