1 1
kkeenan

Jumping After Shoulder Replacement Surgery

Having been a skydiver for a lot of years, I’ve seen plenty of friends resume jumping following surgical repair or replacement of hips, knees, etc. I’m wondering if any active dz.com jumpers have had shoulder replacement and resumed skydiving afterward. I’ve had rotator cuff surgery in the past, and resumed both Formation Skydiving and Canopy Formation at a fairly high level. The total shoulder replacement, however, is a whole new level. 

Kevin K. 

I' had my rotator cuff repaired about 6-7 years ago, I think I took about 6 months off did my own PT and I can't even tell I ever had a problem. Now I wished that was the case on my last 5 spine surgeries and my Oct 2018 hip replacement. I made several jumps with C4 through C7 Fusion and L4-L5 fused too. In June 2018 a microdiscectomy S1-L5 and a new total left hip (Oct) replacement. I still plan to jump after aI heal :)  

On 1/26/2019 at 8:01 PM, rtmjumper said:

I' had my rotator cuff repaired about 6-7 years ago, I think I took about 6 months off did my own PT and I can't even tell I ever had a problem. Now I wished that was the case on my last 5 spine surgeries and my Oct 2018 hip replacement. I made several jumps with C4 through C7 Fusion and L4-L5 fused too. In June 2018 a microdiscectomy S1-L5 and a new total left hip (Oct) replacement. I still plan to jump after aI heal :) 

Wtf? Were all those injuries caused by skydiving?

On 1/21/2019 at 5:21 PM, kkeenan said:

Having been a skydiver for a lot of years, I’ve seen plenty of friends resume jumping following surgical repair or replacement of hips, knees, etc. I’m wondering if any active dz.com jumpers have had shoulder replacement and resumed skydiving afterward. I’ve had rotator cuff surgery in the past, and resumed both Formation Skydiving and Canopy Formation at a fairly high level. The total shoulder replacement, however, is a whole new level. 

Kevin K. 

Heal well Kevin. I don't know anything about shoulder surgery recovery times but, knowing you're a CRW Dog and the physical demands it places on your upper body, I can only say make sure you recover your strength and flexibility before you jump again. And even then, ease back into it. All the best for you. Miss jumping with you guys. Some of the most fun I had.