2 2
billvon

Feedback on new forum functionality

Since the site was reorganized to make it more friendly to mobile users I find it really annoying that a lot of functionality seems to involve hovering over a button or icon. I can’t hover on my iPad, so how am I supposed to access that functionality?

(edited)
56 minutes ago, jlmiracle said:

Horrible.  Can't find anything.   I think I'm done with this site.  

You are going to need to give them some time to correct the problems. They had to start with a completely different software package and add all the features we are used. This is difficult and time consuming.

Edited by peek
  • Like 1

Far too much space between each forum on the main forum listings page on desktop. It is 4 full screen heights to go from top to the bottom of the page. That's a lot of scrolling.

The number of topics and posts should be on one line, and the massive amount of white space above and below the forum name should be reduced significantly. 

Seriously, scrolling down 4 page heights to get to the forums at the bottom is ridiculous! Notably reducing the amount of white space should easily get that down to two or less, and if you only do that for desktop viewers, that shouldn't affect your mobile audience. 

• Like 2

Everything is way too big. Degeneration already mentioned the time it takes to scroll down the list of forums (mobile or desktop). The forum topic list and the topic thread are also too large. I would love to see a more visually condensed version or have the option for such.

• Like 2

Hi DJ. Apparently a liking for lots of information on the screen is a sign of age; it was a standard for the 2000's, but is now more white space is seen as better.

I think the standards aren't differentiating between the marketing of information and the delivery of information. If you're marketing, yes, you want to highlight. if you're delivering, well, I do want more information per square inch of visual real estate. Within reason. 

Marketing information is kind of like PowerPoint; it's not really designed to discuss, it's more for getting your point across.

Wendy P.

(edited)
10 hours ago, Erroll said:

Not functionality, but an observation: The tab for the "Dropzone" page at the top of my browser just shows an "empty page" icon. Any plans to put something prettier there?

I believe what you are missing is known as the "favicon".

Edited by ryoder

On 1/18/2019 at 7:08 PM, billvon said:

I will start with two minor notes from posters:

1) No way to chronologically order search results

2) No way to post a poll

These are two important things that I'll look into. I know that the Poll should be an easy fix as I'm sure it's supposed to be available. And we do want to offer a better search function if we can.

Poll is fixed now.

One is able to filter search results chronologically using the button on the right, here's a snapshot

image.png

On 1/18/2019 at 8:49 PM, DanG said:

Since the site was reorganized to make it more friendly to mobile users I find it really annoying that a lot of functionality seems to involve hovering over a button or icon. I can’t hover on my iPad, so how am I supposed to access that functionality?

Could you be specific about any key functions that are missing due to the hover issue on mobile. There shouldn't be any functionality that is lost.

On 1/20/2019 at 12:29 AM, ryoder said:

Broken link. To reproduce:

1. Choose pulldown menu from upper right next to avatar.

2. Scroll down to "Ignored Users" near the bottom of that menu.

3. Get 404 Error.

Thanks, I'll investigate this.

I've fixed this, and you can now access the ignore users section

14 hours ago, BIGUN said:

If someone cannot reply directly to me without quoting - how do I get the notification of their replies? 

image.png

I believe the reply notification will notify you of further posts in the thread, ie: replies to the topic.

14 hours ago, BIGUN said:

I'd also like to see the number of "Views" for each post come back if possible. 

That is something we can look at, though falls fairly low on the list of priorities at this point, while we focus on bigger core content and functionality fixes.