5 5
pchapman

What do you think of the new dropzone.com format?

9 hours ago, Meso said:

Thanks for the feedback. I've adjusted the forum permissions for the archives, which were meant to be hidden and definitely was the last time I tested. But I've found the problem there and resolved that.

It looks like nested quoting is not possible? that is problematic. 

10 minutes ago, seedy said:

In the old forum, it kept track of where you were in a topic and took you to the first unread post.  Does the new forum not do that?

It does.. Posts listed that you have unread posts in, you will a blue button on the left next to the title, that's a signal for a thread with new posts, clicking that blue dot will take you to the first unread post.

(edited)

While trying to use the forums on my IPhone SE I am finding that scrolling past the several pinned posts is kind of maddening. Not sure if there is an answer, but I can suggest merging some of them.

I am feeling the love now. Especially on my laptop.

Edited by gowlerk
Addition
  • Like 1

I preferred the old style on my phone. Yes the print was tiny but I could read it all and zoom in if I needed to click on something exactly right. I liked the larger amount of info in a smaller size to skim over quickly and decide what to read. I’ll give it time though, their still working on it and maybe there’s a few things I haven’t found yet to make things easier 

we’ll see 

On the old software there was a bug that had been created years ago with an upgrade that always showed my "Join Date", as todays date.

Hover your pointer over my avatar, and look at my join date now.

From now on I expect all you newbies to address me as "Sir"! :D

3 hours ago, Meso said:

It does.. Posts listed that you have unread posts in, you will a blue button on the left next to the title, that's a signal for a thread with new posts, clicking that blue dot will take you to the first unread post.

Thanks, Meso.

It seems like it only happens with threads you haven't looked at since the change.

For stuff I've looked at since the change, the blue dot takes me to the latest post.

It would be really nice to see a 'this is how stuff works now' sort of user guide. 
I've learned that I can see people's profile info by hovering over their avatar pic. 
Also that the little down arrow next to my profile in the upper bar give me access to stuff like my classifieds (if I had any) and account settings (like siglines). I had to re-enter my sigline, since it seemed to have disappeared.

It's a learning process. A bit frustrating, but that's part of change. 

Just to confirm that there may be areas where we're starting over in the sense that the blue dots may only appear on new threads and you may miss it for content for the past several days.

The process of moving a site to a new CMS is no small task, especially with millions of posts.

Can anyone confirm whether the blue dot appears in posts that you commented in before the migration but that others have posted in since the migration? 

The blue dots appear to have a consistent behavior for me; they tell me which threads I can go to and expect new content. Someday I might even remember exactly what to click on (that's a me thing, not an interface thing). 

For me, the white space is much easier to take on the laptop than on the phone, for the reasons I gave before. It just means too little content per eyeballfull (yeah, that's a word, I just made it up). The comment above about scrolling past endless locked top-of-the-forum threads resonated, since I'm a user of SC, with its endless locked top-of-the-forum threads. 

Wendy P.

Two things that are gone that I used:

1. The count of unread posts at the all-forums view. Sometimes I don't want to take the time to go look at 1 post... This isn't a biggie

2. The reply to: attribution seems to be gone now, so one isn't sure what a replier is replying to unless they quote it, and then you have to go find it by text, rather than clicking on the attribution field. Again, this is only an issue in actual discussion, but that's what I like about forum format.

Wendy P.

On 1/17/2019 at 8:55 PM, pchapman said:

Agreed.  old format had lots of issues, especially on phones, but a lot of unnecessary white space.  I am not a designer, but I know what is easy to read.  Good fonts.  make them darker.  I had bad eyes.

15 hours ago, ryoder said:

On the old software there was a bug that had been created years ago with an upgrade that always showed my "Join Date", as todays date.

Hover your pointer over my avatar, and look at my join date now.

From now on I expect all you newbies to address me as "Sir"! :D

xDWhen did you actually join?  I know it was way before me.

I was like, whoa...I can't figure out the new posts to moderate! But, I think I was able to fix that by doing to the "Mark all posts as read" link at the top of the forums, and the blue dots cleared out. So, try that if you're trying to clear the blue dots.

This new format sucks donkey balls. But after reading Meso's post, I understand the reasons behind the change. I haven't seen how it looks on my phone yet but I have increasingly been doing more and more of my online access on my phone.

How about keeping the old format for those who access via desktop, and this new format for cell phones or small tablets? The site should be programmed to link the proper format to the device. It can be done. I've seen it on other sites. Just a thought.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BillyVance said:

You'd have to go search his posts and find the very first one, and make an educated guess that he joined days earlier. Oh and I hate the new emojis... >:(

I already thought of that, but it won't work.

I was a lurker long before I started posting.