5 5
pchapman

What do you think of the new dropzone.com format?

2 hours ago, yoink said:

What are the user numbers looking like on the back end?

Maybe it's just me, but it looks like a whole bunch of people who I've not seen around here in ages have been posting more after the update.

Well, keep in mind that a few folks who are posting had been previously banned. 
Apparently the ban list didn't follow from the old format.

This has been discussed, and BillVon is giving these folks a second chance. Some seem to be happy to be back and are (mostly) behaving. Some don't seem to have changed much and are likely to see themselves banned again.

18 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Well, keep in mind that a few folks who are posting had been previously banned. 
Apparently the ban list didn't follow from the old format.

This has been discussed, and BillVon is giving these folks a second chance. Some seem to be happy to be back and are (mostly) behaving. Some don't seem to have changed much and are likely to see themselves banned again.

Only a few haven't bothered to come back, like Walt Appel and Freeflir29.

So what happened to the postwhore list? We used to click on the link at the top of Bonfire and see where we were ranked. LOL

I used the old forum "quite a bit". This has taken some getting used to, but overall I have to say well done.  it was definitely past time.

I have not tried viewing or posting from my phone, but it's easy to view and fairly easy to post on the tablet. Still easiest on the desktop though.

Unless I'm wrong, the system seems to be kind of broken for showing what posts refer to, when made before the format change.

In the old way, one would see what someone was replying to, but it looks like all that information has been stripped out, so we've permanently lost valuable information?

For example, a header for a reply in the past might have been " Re: [BobSmith99] Cutaway cable length? " . But now if I look at the archives, and I read a reply that says "That's a very dangerous idea.", there's no header at all. So if they haven't expressly quoted the text they referred to, now it could refer to any of the previous posts??!!  It used to be clear that that reply was about BobSmith99's idea, but now information seems to be lost.

Of course there are no headers on replies made now, but at least one sees that, so one can be more careful about including a quote or referring to what exactly one is replying to.

My opinion:

Any glitches and the learning curve with the new software are far overshadowed by the upside of having the new "Ignored Users" list. I don't have the time to waste on posts from fools/trolls/русский-bots/spammers.

well i tried again, like every 3 or 4 months i will come back only to leave right away, i liked the old site ( cause i was use to it i guess ) dont want to re learn how to get around and find stuff, probably done for good this time . i would delete my account but i don t know how. if any admin reads this you have my ok to delete me thanks. blue skies to all

On 1/18/2019 at 3:49 AM, Meso said:

Thanks for the feedback. ...

Can I point out again that the pinned posts at the top of many sub-forums are long out of date. They are a distraction at best, and some make the place look really old and abandoned.

For example, look at the pinned posts in the swooping and canopy forum.  "CP 2014 event master"? "Post your picture threads" (all the threads linked in there haven't had any activity in many years)? Are these and any of the others worth the real estate they take up?

In General Skydiving forum: the one on Skyride? Does anyone even remember what that is these days?  The "Crowdsourcing" one? The "UPSA role in enforcing aircraft..."?

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 3:25 PM, Divalent said:

Can I point out again that the pinned posts at the top of many sub-forums are long out of date. They are a distraction at best, and some make the place look really old and abandoned.

For example, look at the pinned posts in the swooping and canopy forum.  "CP 2014 event master"? "Post your picture threads" (all the threads linked in there haven't had any activity in many years)? Are these and any of the others worth the real estate they take up?

In General Skydiving forum: the one on Skyride? Does anyone even remember what that is these days?  The "Crowdsourcing" one? The "UPSA role in enforcing aircraft..."?

Thanks for the heads up. I'll go through all the forums and remove old pinned posts which are no longer relevant.