5 5
pchapman

What do you think of the new dropzone.com format?

43 minutes ago, Meso said:

The flags I still want to do, it's just finding those damn files at this point since they weren't brought over in the migration. I'll try find some time soon to get on that, my to-do list is making me feel like a development Santa at this point though.

I can imagine. I appreciate the effort, but there is not much I can do to show it. Other than making this site one of the very few, and only regularly visited site that I have disabled my ad blocker for.

2 hours ago, Meso said:

The direct link to the post on our new forums is the timestamp at the top of the post. So the permalink to a specific post is still there, it's just merged with the timestamp, to streamline the process and display.

Hell, I didn't realize that was a link!

But it serves the purpose;

Thanks!

14 hours ago, BKS60 said:

I really don’t like the new format and find that I am coming to the site much less now .  

As stated before, while we appreciate feedback. We need more specific feedback than "I don't like it". What don't you like about it? Why do you feel that it is so different from the old site?

The truth is, as mentioned in another post... We received this same kind of feedback when we launched the old design. Yet it seems most that opposed it on launch grew to like it. So we understand that it takes time for users to become accustomed to changes.

And the functionality is by and large the same. There are very few things that are missing on the new format that existed on the old. We realize the "new posts" is a big one and we're going to get that back up. But otherwise, I haven't been made aware of many things that make it less functional than the previous layout. 

If you can articulate what has changed about your experiences, we can look more into it.

• Like 2

(edited)

Particularly because of the larger font display size, it seems to me that getting rid of most of the "pinned" or "sticky" posts at the top of forums would help.  On a desktop browser with the old format, I could see about 15 posts, so it was easy to see a lot of recently active posts below them.  Now I can see far few, and have to scroll down.

For example, in the General Skydiving forum, the "Skyride" post has long since become irrelevant, the "Crowdsources the DZ BS detector" was never (IMO) of any importance anyway, and god only knows why "USPA's role in enforcing aircraft maintenance issues (was - Incidents thread)" was ever pinned in the first place.

IMO, clearing out some of this detritus would help.

Edited by Divalent
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Divalent said:

Particularly because of the larger font display size, it seems to me that getting rid of most of the "pinned" or "sticky" posts at the top of forums would help.  On a desktop browser with the old format, I could see about 15 posts, so it was easy to see a lot of recently active posts below them.  Now I can see far few, and have to scroll down.

Someone. I assume Billvon, did exactly this in the SC forum. It helped a lot.

1 hour ago, Divalent said:

... the "Crowdsources the DZ BS detector" was never (IMO) of any importance anyway....

Hey, wait a minute, that was my cool idea!

I agree that its importance is long gone. I created it back when a number of people were wondering why they got so much grief for posting certain questions and not having any profile at all. (They looked suspicious and I wanted them to know why.)

On 2/8/2019 at 6:47 AM, Meso said:

As stated before, while we appreciate feedback. We need more specific feedback than "I don't like it". What don't you like about it? Why do you feel that it is so different from the old site?

The truth is, as mentioned in another post... We received this same kind of feedback when we launched the old design. Yet it seems most that opposed it on launch grew to like it. So we understand that it takes time for users to become accustomed to changes.

And the functionality is by and large the same. There are very few things that are missing on the new format that existed on the old. We realize the "new posts" is a big one and we're going to get that back up. But otherwise, I haven't been made aware of many things that make it less functional than the previous layout. 

If you can articulate what has changed about your experiences, we can look more into it.

The new format is much more time consuming to maneuver through. The entire font setup limits (at least on mobile devices) the ability to quickly scan through threads and once in a thread into the responses. While easier to read replies in this format the old site was far superior to be able to view and choose which threads I was interested in and step through pages of replies.

2 hours ago, Divalent said:

Actually, if'n youse guys could periodically look in the forums and clear out the spam posts, I'd be happy with any version of the forum software. The sign of the death throes of a forum is when the spam takes over. It's not looking too healthy today.

I'm on it. The spammer issue is something we have a solution to, we've just got to do some developing testing off the live site but hope to have it up on the live site this coming week.

On 2/8/2019 at 5:47 AM, Meso said:

I can get used to the new [general] visuals, but I'm still very dissatisfied. 

The new site was a hot mess at first, has gotten a ton better, but it would be very inaccurate to say that functionality is nearly the same (I've held my tongue, big time... don't desire to be negative).  Within using BJ and DZ concurrently, I'm thoroughly annoyed and am happy to unload; if we're now at that point of the process. -- I'd be happy to articulate, but I will need some time.  I'm super busy, and haven't been making a list as I've cursed those shortcomings, but, I'll start; given that several were addressed, as expected.

You have, however, been made aware of ALL my sent message being gone... sigh.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Iago said:

I can see sig lines taking up an enormous amount of space, though.  Don't know if it's possible to adjust display font size in the profile.  I could do with a smaller font so I can see more per screen.

Go to your Profile>Settings>Signatures and turn off the "View Signatures."

On 2/10/2019 at 4:47 PM, BIGUN said:
On 2/9/2019 at 8:45 PM, Iago said:

I can see sig lines taking up an enormous amount of space, though.  Don't know if it's possible to adjust display font size in the profile.  I could do with a smaller font so I can see more per screen.

Go to your Profile>Settings>Signatures and turn off the "View Signatures."

Can you have gifs in signatures?

5 hours ago, SethInMI said:

You can!

Why would you do that :( I've got enough work to cover haha

But thanks for showing me something that definitely needs adjusting. Though we may just retain the previous site requirements for signature... ie: Make them obnoxious and have them removed ;) 

31 minutes ago, Meso said:

But thanks for showing me something that definitely needs adjusting. Though we may just retain the previous site requirements for signature... ie: Make them obnoxious and have them removed

I think a signature should not take up more than X pixels of vertical space, and be static (no gifs).  if you made a small font you could put more text in.

Failing that, limiting it to a certain number of characters and a fixed font size would be a good idea.

5 hours ago, Phillbo said:

New site sucks...

Give it some more time, it has been getting better. 

Also I kinda want to keep my GIF signature, as I probably am the only one who will ever have one, based on the restrictions now in place and how I seem to be grandfathered in. :ph34r:

But all good things must end, so I will eventually return to my normal PSA:
"It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Edited by SethInMI

14 hours ago, SethInMI said:

Give it some more time, it has been getting better. 

Also I kinda want to keep my GIF signature, as I probably am the only one who will ever have one, based on the restrictions now in place and how I seem to be grandfathered in. :ph34r:

But all good things must end, so I will eventually return to my normal PSA:
"It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Haha, if it had been smaller that could maybe have been a thing. But it's just too big to keep without it negatively affecting the viewing experience for users.