5 5
pchapman

What do you think of the new dropzone.com format?

28 minutes ago, ryoder said:

I just noticed my signature is gone as well, and I can find no way to create one.

It looks like everyone's sig line is gone at the moment.  I expect they will restore that, soon.

But the amount of white is a lot, and the new emojis suck.  The old ones were great, and everybody here could virtually read each others' expressions, but I guess if we stick around, we will figure it out in a few years.  *shrug*

7 hours ago, oldwomanc6 said:

It looks like everyone's sig line is gone at the moment.  I expect they will restore that, soon.

But the amount of white is a lot, and the new emojis suck.  The old ones were great, and everybody here could virtually read each others' expressions, but I guess if we stick around, we will figure it out in a few years.  *shrug*

Signature lines will be around on your previous posts, but not on your new ones until you set it in your profile. They were reset, but retained on the posts, so if you can't remember what yours was, you can just go copy and paste it from one of your older posts. Shouldn't take more than a minute to do.

I'd like to mention that we've made some additions from requests.

- I've added more information about the user when hovering over their icon on a thread. The hover card now includes information like jump numbers, home dz and years in sport. Similar to what was displayed next to users on the old site.

- I have also added a "Mark Site As Read" button on the main forum page, which allows for one to easily clear all new posts across the forums.

- Have also changed the icon for 'new messages' next to forums to orange to make it easier to see which sections have new posts.

(edited)

Is it just me, or is a line or some other break needed in the way that the forum displays signatures.

I could just be that I am seeing old pre-change signatures that look odd because of the way they were retained. Either way they blend right into the actual post content.

Edited by DougH

1 minute ago, DougH said:

Is it just me, or is a line or some break needed in the way that the forum display signatures.

I could just be that I am seeing old pre-change quotes that look odd because of the way they were retained. Either way they blend right into the actual post content.

Those are old posts - the new ones post change have the sig in line the bottom under the quote button

• Like 1

(edited)

Is there a 'report post' button anywhere?

I don't see it, but I may be missing it somewhere.

There's a new thread in G&R about an "Afripacker", which seems to be spam for a poly bag filler/sealer machine. I wanted to 'report' it, but can't see any button to do that.

Edit to add:
Nevermind. I found it. Its hidden until it's 'hovered' over. Upper right of the individual post, just left of the 'share' icon.

Edited by wolfriverjoe

1 minute ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Is there a 'report post' button anywhere?

I don't see it, but I may be missing it somewhere.

There's a new thread in G&R about an "Afripacker", which seems to be spam for a poly bag filler/sealer machine. I wanted to 'report' it, but can't see any button to do that.

There is, but it is hidden until you hover over the upper righthand corner of the post.

I still want the old emojis back. Those were the best of any social media platform I've ever been on. Oh well...

I went back to some of the old posts that were made before the change, and all the emojis were changed, well just the ones that use the same characters. Others just well... :ph34r:

Meso my man...you have some serious Nomex you're wearing to withstand this flaming. I feel your pain.

I'll get used to it. Each forum we always do. Those saying they'll never read here again are silly. Just like people who say "I'll never fly this airline again!" Yah, sure. They always buy a next ticket. Or if they leave they don't announce it. They just go and don't worry about it.

Hats off to you Meso. I think I might read more. ;-)

...old member of the WRECK and original Dizzy.com.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

She's got cute toes. 

I'm willing to make special accommodations for that.

4 hours ago, ryoder said:

You show up once every few months, and you expect special accommodations?

:P

:Dblame the earthquake,my living in an igloo, my dog sled had a flat,I was low on penguin power :P

wrj,you dont know what my  toes look like. 

8 hours ago, promise5 said:

wrj,you dont know what my  toes look like. 

WRJ: You need a toes pic? I can get you a toes pic, believe me. There are ways, Joe. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.  Hell, I can get you a toes pic by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ryoder said:

WRJ: You need a toes pic? I can get you a toes pic, believe me. There are ways, Joe. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.  Hell, I can get you a toes pic by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish.

Ryoder, don’t make me hurt you!

wheres the eye squinting emoji??? 

(edited)

Pfft. I don't need a pic to know she has cute toes. 

I can tell by her smile. :P

And, for the record, penguins are Antarctic critters. 

Promise may be low on Polar Bear power, but cannot, in any way be low on 'penguin power.' 
Wrong end of the earth.

Edited by wolfriverjoe

Default behaviour for a logged-in user should be to go to the last unread post of a thread - not start all over at the beginning again!

That's what other forums do, and that's what a big advantage of being logged-in is supposed to be. I'm getting tired of having to click on the round dot or star next to a thread title to get to the new content. Especially because we now have the big giant lettering and white space in the lists of threads in a forum --- Why would we want to have to click a tiny area, almost like a web 1.0 radio button, to get to the content we want?  Be a member, log in, click on the thread, and you should go to the latest un-read post. Penguins would agree with me.

(Nice to see things are gradually being tweaked on the site !)

22 hours ago, pchapman said:

Default behaviour for a logged-in user should be to go to the last unread post of a thread - not start all over at the beginning again!

That's what other forums do, and that's what a big advantage of being logged-in is supposed to be. I'm getting tired of having to click on the round dot or star next to a thread title to get to the new content. Especially because we now have the big giant lettering and white space in the lists of threads in a forum --- Why would we want to have to click a tiny area, almost like a web 1.0 radio button, to get to the content we want?  Be a member, log in, click on the thread, and you should go to the latest un-read post. Penguins would agree with me.

(Nice to see things are gradually being tweaked on the site !)

This is a fair comment, though a bit trickier in practice than in theory.

There's quite a few users who have probably just got used to understanding how the forum icons work and what they do. And if we were to remove those buttons now, there may be some who feel like they were just starting to get accustomed to them. 

I do like the idea of a "NEW" icon instead of the little blue button, and that could be done, but I'd first need to get more weight from others users to, in order to ensure that there is more desire for it than there is opposition. 

Same with the idea for making the title go directly to the first unread post. This makes a lot of sense to me personally, but I just want to ensure everyone isn't going to suddenly feel like the site is now changing again right after getting used to how it works. If anyone else wants to provide their thoughts, the more input the better chance we have to know what you guys want. (Not to discredit your individual voice, but I'm sure you get what I'm saying).

Here's an example of what I'm thinking, replacing the bottom blue dot with the orange new alert. Whether that NEW alert links to the first unread post or whether we make the title link to it, is also up for discussion.

image.png

I like going to the first unread post in a thread automatically. That's very useful.

Also - is there a way to have the forum mark all posts as read automatically once you leave a forum (like the old version did)? I forget to click the blue button, and then when I go back the next day I can't remember what I've read and what I haven't... or is it just me?

Nice work on this - it can't be easy!!!

Meso, I am mainly a lurker, so take my thoughts for whatever it is worth to you. I do the new site, and change always takes time to get used to. And it takes time to work out the bugs, and find some of the ways to make the changes that you want. I have a website of my own, so I know. Plus, when you update things, you can't always keep everything that was there, no big deal. And it is a free site to use, so to me I can't complain that much. I appreciate the work you do on this site and your efforts to maintain it. And I find it interesting how much people complain about this site and other FREE sites that they put no effort or money into but expect a lot in return for their FREE membership. If they think they can do better, they can always start of site of their own, or even step up and offer to help, but they don't, they just want to complain. I find the threats to leave and never some back quite funny, and to be honest kind of childish (they almost never do or end up coming back).

Here is my thoughts:

The only thing that is a bit annoying is the load time, but it is only a few seconds longer and I've seen sites take a lot longer. And it does seem to have gotten better since the update. 

What I like:

The overall look and functionality. It is cleaner and easier to find and get to some of the stuff, especially with the bar that stays at the top.

The idea of New instead of a dot, makes it very clear which thread has a new post. The dot/star thing is a bit weird and slightly confusing, but again it is just different.

How if you hover over a post that it show the first post and the last post. Though, if possible, to click on either and go to that post might be nice (but that is also what the dot is for). But that may also slow down the site, so that would not be worth it.

That you can like a post, report a post (will make admins' job a bit easier & help with spam), and that you can insert photos and such. Being able to turn on or off notifications for replies.

The hovering over a profile and seeing the info, as opposed to having to click on it and go to another page.

The white space seems to have been cut down a bit, but that could just be my imagination