1 1
heavision

DZs in Europe

I'll be in Europe August and September 2019 and I'm looking for a cheap DZ to spend some time at. I'll be in France mid August so it's a good central location to rock a train from. I hear Poland is less expensive than other countries, also Hungary and some eastern countries. Suggestions? Bring it.

as far as jump tickets go, PCV over here in Belgium is among the cheapest in (Western) Europe. Prices have gone up for the first time in 20 years orso this season, but they're still cheap: if you buy 100 jumps, they're €16.4 each.
They're valid at all 3 PCV DZ's (Moorsele, Schaffen & Zwartberg) and all 3 rock a caravan taking you to 13k ft in 12~mins.
Downside, we're only open on weekends & holidays, except for the boogie at the end of July.

Take a look at Paracentrum Texel in The Netherlands: https://www.paracentrumtexel.nl/en/. Open 7 days a week, jumps from 13K., running Supervans and if you buy 25 jumps you get 2 for free. I'm biased though as I'm from there.

I hear great things about Skydive Spain, Skydive Algarve and Skydive Empuriabrava as well. Let us know where you went and how things worked out.

If you plan to jump in France take notice of their regulations regarding canopy size/jump numbers. They are pretty strict I hear. I haven't jumped there but there is a minimum jump number for canopy sizes and they are rigidly enforced I believe so it is worth investigating if you plan on taking your own rig. Google will help you I'm sure.

I jump Skydive Madrid and Algarve. Both have great people. Algarve has great beaches too :)

Skydive Royan in France (West Coast ) https://www.europhenix17.fr/en/ 

They run a porter from dawn til dusk from April and are the main training centre in France for their equivalent of AFF. Beach jumps - very friendly DZ with English widely spoken. Not much coaching but the plane goes up a lot.

Campsite nearby or cheap accommodation at the DZ

Skydive Algarve in Portugal https://www.skydivealgarve.com/ - another DZ right on the coast. Brilliant DZ (Its USPA) fast planes getting 15k - great coaching great staff.

On 2/5/2019 at 5:06 PM, Reills said:

If you plan to jump in France take notice of their regulations regarding canopy size/jump numbers. They are pretty strict I hear. I haven't jumped there but there is a minimum jump number for canopy sizes and they are rigidly enforced I believe so it is worth investigating if you plan on taking your own rig. Google will help you I'm sure.

I jump Skydive Madrid and Algarve. Both have great people. Algarve has great beaches too :)

The size rules apply to jumpers with a French license. Unless you have a ridiculous wing loading respective to your jump number, you should be fine 

On 2/12/2019 at 1:52 PM, piisfish said:

The size rules apply to jumpers with a French license. Unless you have a ridiculous wing loading respective to your jump number, you should be fine 

Yikes, they're really conservative... I'm 90kg (~103kg out the door) and currently jumping a 210sqft at 55 jumps. Have bought my first rig with a Silhouette 190, and plan to switch to that in another 15-20 jumps or so (rig is currently on order) if I feel comfortable enough.

That makes me one of the slower downsizers in our club (which makes sense since I'm also one of the heaviest), but according to the French rules apparently I'd still have to jump a 230 and wouldn't be allowed a 190 until 250 jumps and a 170 until 400 jumps...

My understanding is the French Parachute Association brought in the rule after a "request" from the Minister of Sport to do something to reduce the number of accidents.  At the same time rules were brought in regulating low-hook turns so that they are done in a dedicated landing area.

While I imagine not everyone is happy about it, I personally have not heard anyone complain about the rule.

I used to jump in the UK 25 years ago before I stopped jumping, at the time low-hook turns by inexperienced jumpers were very popular.  I started jumping again here in France 3 years ago and on the DZs I jump at, swooping is fairly rare.  I don't know if it is the DZs I jump at or if the French just pop down the Alps when they need a thrill and leave swooping to non-mountinous nations.