1 1
billvon

Welcome to the new Speaker's Corner

Welcome to the new website format for this forum.  Operation should be substantially the same, with minor changes (like more formatting options.)  Please let me or Meso know if there's anything that looks like it's not working, or that you are having trouble with, and we will take a look.  Also please bear with us over the next few weeks as all the bugs in the new system (and there are always bugs) get ironed out.  Thanks for your patience.

• Like 4

And I tried to edit my previous post, made 3 minutes ago, and it told me that too much time had expired and I couldn't edit it, then the forum froze.  I had to exit forums and re-enter to bring it back to life.

I wanted to add that a "Mark this thread read" button would be nice, since the new system seems to have erased all record of which posts I have read.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is what Kallend was on about or if this is a separate issue, but the signature lines are very difficult to differentiate from the body of a post.

That's a pretty minor, nit-picky thing to bitch about when the new site looks as good as it does, but if I had to bitch about something thus far it would be that.

7 hours ago, kallend said:

How do I go about conducting a forum search now?

Top right, click on magnifying glass twice.  There isn't as much functionality now, though - no ability to order chronologically or by relevance, for example.

2 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

You can filter results by date.

Does anyone know if you can go to the first unread post in any thread like you used to be able to?

When you drop into a forum, any threads with unread content will have a dark blue dot on the left.

Hover your pointer over it and it will tell you what it is for.

Click on it, and it will take you to the newest unread post.

12 minutes ago, ryoder said:

When you drop into a forum, any threads with unread content will have a dark blue dot on the left.

Thanks for that - id worked out the blue dots but not the hover thing. What I was hoping for was the OLDEST unread post though. Like to follow discussions through

33 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Some have a dark blue dot and some have a dark blue star. Anybody know what the difference is? Threads you have commented in vs. threads you have not?

(edited)
On 1/17/2019 at 7:10 PM, kallend said:

Not sure I like the way quotes are handled now.  On my screen it's rather hard to see where a quote ends and a reply begins.

I agree. The quote box needs more definition.

And it would be nice to tidy up all the stickies into a single ‘rules’ sticky to avoid having to scroll past them every time.

How do I hide posts from rush?

Edited by yoink

3 hours ago, yoink said:

And it would be nice to tidy up all the stickies into a single ‘rules’ sticky to avoid having to scroll past them every time.

How do I hide posts from rush?

It's in the settings menu. Type in the name of the poster, choose what you want to ignore, hey presto!

(edited)

I’m quite disappointed with the new GUI of the forum.

• layout uses far too much screen space for single thread titles, threads & posts.
  • removal of country flags for nationality/location

The screen layout makes it slower and more cumbersome to use the site.  On some of my other hobbies/interests forums (pilot & helicopter forums) there is always confusion as to whether the poster was asking/replying regarding North America, Europe or other locale – now we’ve introduced the same confusion here.

Edited by RMK

Is there a setting somewhere to reduce the size and spacing of the list of posts in a forum?  This may be fine for a phone screen but it wastes a lot of space and requires scrolling past a bunch of "stickies" to get to forum content on a regular PC.

On 1/18/2019 at 11:00 AM, billvon said:

Top right, click on magnifying glass twice.  There isn't as much functionality now, though - no ability to order chronologically or by relevance, for example.

On 1/17/2019 at 9:28 PM, lippy said:

I don't know if this is what Kallend was on about or if this is a separate issue, but the signature lines are very difficult to differentiate from the body of a post.

That's a pretty minor, nit-picky thing to bitch about when the new site looks as good as it does, but if I had to bitch about something thus far it would be that.

Go to your Profile

Click on signatures

Even if you have an old one that appears to be part of your text - copy/paste and save - it will appear new and below the line.  

7 hours ago, kallend said:

Is there a setting somewhere to reduce the size and spacing of the list of posts in a forum?  This may be fine for a phone screen but it wastes a lot of space and requires scrolling past a bunch of "stickies" to get to forum content on a regular PC.

No, sorry.  That seems to be the biggest complaint from people about the new format.  Bryn is looking to see if there's some way to reduce white space at the admin level.

On 1/18/2019 at 8:10 PM, yoink said:

OK thanks for the suggestion; more important now that there's so much white space.  I will get to work on that.

(edited)

I've noticed that external links within a post open in the same tab and replace dz.com rather than opening in a new tab or window, which IMO is generally not a good thing for retaining visitors.

Also, some external links work, but others just link back to the the beginning of the thread.

For example:

Links in this post work fine:

Links in this post do not work:

Nor do they work in this post:

I have also confirmed this in several other browsers as well.

I've been updating and testing my own websites the last few days, so I know it can get a bit frustrating.  Good luck!

. . .and thank you.

Edited by Coreece