7 7
Administrator

Dropzone Site Launch & Bugs Megathread

Recommended Posts

On 1/30/2019 at 11:07 PM, philipturneraa said:

Not just you. My usage of the forums immediately went from daily (or more) to practically zero when the new design launched because of exactly this.

I’m curious how forum page view stats compare before and after this redesign. 

My vote would be to please put the site back just as it was and go back to the drawing board (in a test environment) until a new design is found that adds some value.  Sorry, but at the moment, in my view, it’s a really, really big negative.  I would love to support something new, but this just isn’t it.

Sadly, I agree. I have been reading this website everyday for the last 20 years. I stopped now...

At least please bring the RED numbers showing the number of new posts and new threads in each forums. Like it used to be, and like it is still on BaseJumper.com . These RED numbers told me if there is enough of new content to enter the forum to read. Very important info, for instance "not worth entering for only 1 new post. Worth entering for let's say 22 new posts and 2 new threads". Just an example how I judged it. Or, I just waited for the new contend to accumulate, before starting my "reading session".

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall really happy with the site redesign. Great work!

One super minor request: it seems like with the new CMS, the favicon disappeared. I like to keep my favorite sites on my bookmarks bar with just icons and no text:

dzfav.png.9e535e4a477463addd253cd0541893c6.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, skydiverek said:

Bug:

No option to renew the ad. I got an email, that the ad will expire and needs to be removed, but the link does not work (from that email), and the ad itself does not have the renew button.

Bad link from that email:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/modify.cgi

This is an issue caused by the old website's server sending out false alerts on the ads that were listed there. We're working on resolving this, but you can ignore any emails with the old structure like that. The new site will send out a different renewal alert email... If ever you want to check your renewals, it can be done by clicking on the dropdown on the top right navbar next to your display picture and then clicking on "My Renewals", but as said, we're working on fixing these 'old' alerts being accidentally sent out.
 

17 hours ago, skydiverek said:

At least please bring the RED numbers showing the number of new posts and new threads in each forums. Like it used to be, and like it is still on BaseJumper.com . These RED numbers told me if there is enough of new content to enter the forum to read. Very important info, for instance "not worth entering for only 1 new post. Worth entering for let's say 22 new posts and 2 new threads". Just an example how I judged it. Or, I just waited for the new contend to accumulate, before starting my "reading session".

This is our intent... It isn't quite as easy to do as some of the other additions/fixes, but it is something we're speaking to developers about creating to add it to the functionality. I can understand why users miss this function.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, platypii said:

Overall really happy with the site redesign. Great work!

One super minor request: it seems like with the new CMS, the favicon disappeared. I like to keep my favorite sites on my bookmarks bar with just icons and no text:

dzfav.png.9e535e4a477463addd253cd0541893c6.png

The Favicon is added, and I have it on my browser at the moment. But I figure it may be a caching issue, sometimes can take a while for favicons to propagate properly, and it was added a few days ago. Will also just double check possible settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, skydiverek said:

Please bring back the option to "Renew the ad for another 30 or 60 days". This is how it used to be, and was very useful.

The new system offers a lot of additional functionality around the classifieds, but it doesn't offer the ability to select between two renewal periods. What we could do, is set the default renewal period to 60 days, that way if one wishes to remove it prior to that period they can do so manually with ease, but will still extend the duration of the ad through the renewal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
14 hours ago, Meso said:

The new system offers a lot of additional functionality around the classifieds, but it doesn't offer the ability to select between two renewal periods. What we could do, is set the default renewal period to 60 days, that way if one wishes to remove it prior to that period they can do so manually with ease, but will still extend the duration of the ad through the renewal?

 

Hi,

Yes, please offer the possibility to extend for FREE. I got an email from your new system stating that the ad expired and cen be renewed for money only (no other options ,see below)... Also, "Me Renewals" menu is empty.

Advert Title: Tempo 150 reserve in great shape, low pack volume, low cost world air-shipping !
Renew for how many days?: 7 days
Renewal price: $6.00

 

Even when trying to renew with fee, it brings you to the dead page:

 

WebFaction

Coming soon: Another fine website hosted by WebFaction.

Site not configured

If you are the owner of this website and weren’t expecting to see this message, here are some potential causes and solutions:

  • You recently created a new website record, but opened the URL before your changes were activated in the web server and DNSconfiguration. Wait a moment and refresh.
  • You created a new website record without the current subdomain (for example, www). Return to the control panel to add the current subdomain to the website record and refresh.
  • You added a new domain in the control panel but didn’t create a site record to link it with an application. Create a website record with the control panel and refresh.
  • Your website record is set for HTTPS, but you visited a HTTP URL (or vice-versa). Open the URL with the other protocol.
  • You tried to access your website by IP address. Access the website by domain name instead.
  • There is a problem with your account. Check the control panel for unresolved support tickets and check your email for recent messages from support@webfaction.com.

For more details, please see Error: Site not configured.

 

 

 

Edited by skydiverek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, skydiverek said:

 

Hi,

Yes, please offer the possibility to extend for FREE. I got an email from your new system stating that the ad expired and cen be renewed for money only (no other options ,see below)... Also, "Me Renewals" menu is empty.

Advert Title: Tempo 150 reserve in great shape, low pack volume, low cost world air-shipping !
Renew for how many days?: 7 days
Renewal price: $6.00

 

Even when trying to renew with fee, it brings you to the dead page:

 

WebFaction

Coming soon: Another fine website hosted by WebFaction.

Site not configured

If you are the owner of this website and weren’t expecting to see this message, here are some potential causes and solutions:

  • You recently created a new website record, but opened the URL before your changes were activated in the web server and DNSconfiguration. Wait a moment and refresh.
  • You created a new website record without the current subdomain (for example, www). Return to the control panel to add the current subdomain to the website record and refresh.
  • You added a new domain in the control panel but didn’t create a site record to link it with an application. Create a website record with the control panel and refresh.
  • Your website record is set for HTTPS, but you visited a HTTP URL (or vice-versa). Open the URL with the other protocol.
  • You tried to access your website by IP address. Access the website by domain name instead.
  • There is a problem with your account. Check the control panel for unresolved support tickets and check your email for recent messages from support@webfaction.com.

For more details, please see Error: Site not configured.

 

 

 

Thank you for the headsup. This looks like it's a case of our development website sending out emails that it shouldn't. We have this live site, and then we have a development site for us to work on, which has all the same data on it, to allow us to make changes without affecting the users. This development server isn't supposed to be sending out emails at all, but it looks like it may be trying to tell you that an ad is about to expire on that environment. I'm working to resolve this ASAP as this is problematic...

But I believe that the live site should offer you a free renewal as well, will double check... But you can ignore any emails in the interim that link to Webfactional, as they've not been sent from the live site and doesn't impact your real ads. But we'll get this sorted ASAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

I cannot find the button to renew the ad for free, before it expires... It used to be possible on the old website (you could renew for another 60 days at ANY time). Please offer such option.

Edited by skydiverek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, skydiverek said:

I cannot find the button to renew the ad for free, before it expires... It used to be possible on the old website (you could renew for another 60 days at ANY time). Please offer such option.

The system doesn't seem to allow us to create that option :/ We're looking for ways to make it as close to the old options as possible, as we can see the merits in it. It may mean having to create more feature options such as a 7 Days with paid 7 day renewal or 7 Days with free 30 day renewal. We are looking into it actively though on our development environment and running some tests to see what's possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

On the login screen, please make the default for "Remember me" to be unchecked.

If I click on the "Remember me" label, the checkbox doesn't alter state.  I've checked your code and I can't see the reason.

P.S. Thanks for making Logoff return to the login screen.

P.P.S. Turns out logoff doesn't always return to login :-(.

Edited by TangBu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2019 at 1:44 PM, skydiverek said:

Sadly, I agree. I have been reading this website everyday for the last 20 years. I stopped now...

At least please bring the RED numbers showing the number of new posts and new threads in each forums. Like it used to be, and like it is still on BaseJumper.com . These RED numbers told me if there is enough of new content to enter the forum to read. Very important info, for instance "not worth entering for only 1 new post. Worth entering for let's say 22 new posts and 2 new threads". Just an example how I judged it. Or, I just waited for the new contend to accumulate, before starting my "reading session".

 

 

Me too. Cant use this site really now. Glad its still in Basejumper.com 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, skydiverek said:

Some bug: I just received an 'Reply to Advert' email, with a sent date of Jan 31. Today is Feb 24, and I have always checked my emailed every single day.

Can you please forward to support@dropzone.com so we can see why this occurred. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No bug, just wanted to thank you for creating an excellent new format.  You solved the main bigs that concerned me, and it is now even easier to find the historical threads on forum topics.  The layout and speed are very impressive.   Big thanks.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having used the new format since day one . . . I love it overall, it has been long overdue.  I visit the forums mainly from a desktop, but the occasional need for Smart Phone visits are FAR easier for my old eyes than the previous web page view.

The only two things I haven't gotten used to yet:

  • I am routinely clicking on the "Dropzones" link from the banner looking for the Forums.  I think that must have been the previous position for the Forums link.
  • I make a conscious decision to "Mark Forum As Read" and have to go through the "Are You Sure?" pop-up, which is always redundant for me.  It gets in the way of moving on to the next Forum to read.

Highlight for me is the classifieds, which are LIGHT YEARS better than they used to be.  I also like the new Q&A Forum, although I haven't gone full-immersion there yet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2019 at 3:51 PM, slotperfect said:

I make a conscious decision to "Mark Forum As Read" and have to go through the "Are You Sure?" pop-up, which is always redundant for me.  It gets in the way of moving on to the next Forum to read.

Agreed. One is very unlikely to accidentally click on the "mark as read" button, given its position, therefore making the 'are you sure' box really redundant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 7