7 7
Administrator

Dropzone Site Launch & Bugs Megathread

Hey everyone!

As you have probably noticed, we've moved over to our new content management system. We're exciting to bring you these changes which will provide more mobile support, easier navigation and more functionality. We're going to be continuing in our focus of making the site better moving forward and are looking forward to what lies ahead.

You may notice adjustments, additions or removals of things you're used to, and we realize that it isn't easy having someone come in and rearrange your living room, but we're here to take your feedback and hope that the new website makes your experience better than it was. This has been no small task and there are sure to still be some bugs that pop up, but we're dedicated to resolving them ASAP.

The way you can help us help you, is by letting us know of any problems you come across on the site. Errors, broken styling, problems with images etc. Simply comment in this thread with your experience, attaching screenshots where possible, and we'll be sure to make the fixes, and make the site a better experience for you.

To make things most effective, you can use this template when reporting problems:

Bug Description:
URL that it occurred:
Time of occurrence:
Action being performed (where relevant):

To give us feedback unrelated to bugs, please make a post in the suggestions and feedback forums.

• Like 1

Bug Description: Signatures in old posts are not formatted as such, and instead run-in with the post body.
URL that it occurred: Any post before the redesign was deployed

Additionally, signatures have not been preserved in people's profiles if set, so everyone was reset to having no signature in new posts.

Bug Description: Not able to post new classified ads.
URL that it occurred: Classifieds, Submit an advert
Time of occurrence: Today 1/17/19 8:14 EST
Action being performed (where relevant): When you try to post a new classified ad you can't because the image file will not upload. I tried browsing, drag and drop etc but the file won't show up/up load. An image is required to submit an advert and since the new website won't accept an image no new adverts can be posted.

Thanks for your help and the new site is looking great.

7 hours ago, mathrick said:

Bug Description: Signatures in old posts are not formatted as such, and instead run-in with the post body.
URL that it occurred: Any post before the redesign was deployed

Additionally, signatures have not been preserved in people's profiles if set, so everyone was reset to having no signature in new posts.

Thanks! We've resolved the first signature issue and there will now be a separation between post text and signature. 

We're looking into the issue about signatures not being brought over into the profile fields.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billvon said:

Two notes:

1) Unable to edit post after a few minutes (bug)

2) Unable to easily tell quoted text from body of message (probably a 'feature')

We've fixed this now, by increasing the edit time to 6 hours by default, instead of the 5 minutes it had.

I've also tweaked the quote box slightly to bring it out a touch more and make it more obvious who one is quoting.

10 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Is there a "mark all forums read" button, as there used to be? When I'm done looking at what I want to I use it, so that the next time I come in I know what's been updated. Thanks

Wendy P.

There is only the ability to mark a specific forum category as read. However, it does make sense to have a mark all forums as read, and we'll work on getting that functionality back up.

One of my favorite features of the Forum was the list on the bottom of every Forum page, which showed the 10 most recently added-to Forum topics, independent of which category they were coming from. If your current system has the capability to add this feature back in, I think it would be a great one to add. 

That was pretty much the way I navigated the Forum 90% of the time. I can't imagine I was the only one.

Thanks, and congrats on the update!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Erroll said:

The new forums do not appear to take me to the first unread post in a thread, as before. They all point to the first post in a thread.

Clicking on the blue dot on the left of a forum post will take you to the latest unread post. Clicking on the date on the right of a forum post listing, under the user icon will take you to the latest post.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, meat.missile said:

Man, you guys didn't take any design feedback from beta testers.

If you wanted to kill this website by preventing millennials from using it you have succeeded.

I'm not sure you can be a tester with this being your first post. But with that said, if you're going to provide feedback, we'd appreciate you describing your complaints, as saying "It sucks" doesn't really assist anyone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mbohu said:

One of my favorite features of the Forum was the list on the bottom of every Forum page, which showed the 10 most recently added-to Forum topics, independent of which category they were coming from. If your current system has the capability to add this feature back in, I think it would be a great one to add. 

That was pretty much the way I navigated the Forum 90% of the time. I can't imagine I was the only one.

Thanks, and congrats on the update!

The closest we have to this at the moment is the discover feature which shows you the latest actions on the site across all sections, though this will in most cases be the forums.

https://www.dropzone.com/discover/

We may look to reintroduce something along the lines of the old one though, we'll take a closer look at discuss.

• Like 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, Meso said:

I'm not sure you can be a tester with this being your first post. But with that said, if you're going to provide feedback, we'd appreciate you describing your complaints, as saying "It sucks" doesn't really assist anyone.

I had to download google chrome just to be able to respond to this because the cross platform compatibility is terrible. 

My DZ's account was one of the beta testers and I am one of the people that has access to it. 

See attached pictures. 

1. Why would you make everything so big and clunky? When you upgrade sites you should streamline things. You really should have topics and posts in the same row and different columns. There is also way to much white space. Compared to BASEjumper (please leave it alone) this is worse than it was. 

2. Doesn't even work in internet explorer. 

3. Mobile isn't terrible. At least you can see the descriptions of the forums on mobile.  It is nice you made it mobile friendly but again, the amount of information per inch is so much less than before, very bubbly and lots of white space. 

4. This was typed in google chrome, just fyi. 

5. Classified, the most useful thing on this site is now under the "more" tab. 

6. I do appreciate the try at an update, but the way it was structured before was much more user friendly. 

7. The new profile page is very nice. I like the customization. 

Forum 1.JPG

Forum 2.JPG

Edited by meat.missile

Just went to wind tunnel index - https://www.dropzone.com/forums/forum/47-wind-tunnels/

Had a previous interest in and had commented to the "Canadian laws and wind tunnels thread".

This wind tunnel index page indicated 0 replies to the thread topic. I remembered commenting on it so opened it to see if post was deleted - that was not the case and 3 replies were there that were there b4 shift to new format.

Not end of world - just figured you all may want to know.

7 7