1 1
billvon

The shutdown (the thread)

He's said to be considering the national emergency and reallocating funds etc, and have the Army Corps of Engineers build the barrier.

You know, the wall is one of the campaign themes Trump ran on, and won the election. And it's amazing to see the continued stonewalling by the Democrats, especially Pelosi, refusing to give an inch on border wall funds. Never mind the fact there are videos of Pelosi and Schumer from 4-6 years ago saying we have to stop illegal immigration when Obama was in charge. The hate for Trump is palpable.

That said, the next few days will be fun to watch, however it shakes down. In the meantime, I'll just thank myself that I don't have a non-essential government job.

4 minutes ago, BillyVance said:

You know, the wall is one of the campaign themes Trump ran on, and won the election.

And he promised over, and over, and over, and over again, that Mexico would pay for it.

Now he wants tax payers to pay for it, after enacting a tax bill that is making the the deficit skyrocket.

29 minutes ago, BillyVance said:

He's said to be considering the national emergency and reallocating funds etc, and have the Army Corps of Engineers build the barrier.

Yes, he could do that.  The House and Senate could shut that down almost immediately.

You know, the wall is one of the campaign themes Trump ran on, and won the election.

No problem.  Reopen the government, have Trump fly down and get the check from Mexico - and start building.

And it's amazing to see the continued stonewalling by the Democrats, especially Pelosi, refusing to give an inch on border wall funds.

Most Americans are against building a wall.  They are the representatives of the people.  She is doing an excellent job enacting the will of the people in this case.  (So is the GOP senate, by the way.)

That said, the next few days will be fun to watch, however it shakes down. In the meantime, I'll just thank myself that I don't have a non-essential government job.

LaGuardia just shut down due to staffing shortages in air traffic control. So airlines will take a hit, as will businesses who can't get to business meetings.  The Trump shutdown, if it continues, just might start the next recession.

(edited)
34 minutes ago, BillyVance said:

You know, the wall is one of the campaign themes Trump ran on, and won the election. And it's amazing to see the continued stonewalling by the Democrats, especially Pelosi, refusing to give an inch on border wall funds. Never mind the fact there are videos of Pelosi and Schumer from 4-6 years ago saying we have to stop illegal immigration when Obama was in charge. The hate for Trump is palpable.

If the wall was really important he would have got Paul Ryan to fund it. It is not just Ds who oppose it. A ton of Rs know what a mistake it would be. Why did he accept Ryan's delaying tactics for two years but all of a sudden it's an emergency? The hate for Trump is strong. Considering his behavior why do you find that remarkable?

Edited by gowlerk

53 minutes ago, BillyVance said:

If the campaign theme was "I'll build the wall and you will pay for it", would you still have voted for that?

Trump's whole campaign was bait and switch.

"Repeal Obamacare and replace it with much better and cheaper coverage" became "repeal Obamacare and replace it with... nothing!"  Go back to the old days when it was impossible to get insurance if you had ever had cancer, backache, acne...

"Cut taxes for everyone" became "cut taxes for the super wealthy, and let everyone else worry about how to pay off the deficit".

"I'll make much better trade deals" became "farmers won't be able to sell their produce to anyone outside the US, and everyone will pay more for anything made of aluminum or steel (or maybe just pay more for everything)".

Don

1 hour ago, BillyVance said:

Why would anyone not hate a liar and con-artist?
Did you forget this?

Trump needs to follow through on his campaign promise and make Mexico pay for the wall. I suppose he asked Mexico and they laughed in his face as they said, "No". So now Trump needs to stop being a pussy! He is commander and  chief. If Mexico won't pay for the wall, use his position as commander and chief and send the military into Mexico and take the money.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

Trump needs to follow through on his campaign promise and make Mexico pay for the wall. I suppose he asked Mexico and they laughed in his face as they said, "No". So now Trump needs to stop being a pussy! He is commander and  chief. If Mexico won't pay for the wall, use his position as commander and chief and send the military into Mexico and take the money.

Or - even better idea - pay for it himself.  He's worth at least 3 billion, and I am sure he could get another 2 billion from friends.  And the wall will pay for itself in 2 months, according to him, so it's a sure thing.  He makes billions, the wall gets built - and he doesn't have to reach into taxpayer's wallets to do it.

6 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

Damn straight. Then take their oil at the same time to pay for everything! Little brown people don't need oil anyhoo! If they can't speak English they don't need oil.

Trump: We should have taken Iraq's oil

4 hours ago, BillyVance said:

Seriously?

As noted above, the campaign "promise" was to "Build a Wall" (pause, put hand to ear, wait for the crowd to shout) "And Make Mexico Pay For It!!!"

Only morons actually believed that. 

He had 2 years to get his 'wall money' passed. Through a R controlled House & Senate.
Why didn't he do it then? 
Why wasn't it an emergency then? 

What changed after the election, when the Ds took control of the House that it suddenly became an emergency?

Good news for George Herbert Walker Bush: As of today, he is no longer the biggest wimp ever to serve as President of the United States.

"Coulter has long been thought of as someone Trump looks to as a gauge of public support amongst his conservative base. She said last month — right before the shutdown began —that she would not vote for Trump again in 2020 without a border wall. "

Coulter blasts Trump over shutdown deal: 'Biggest wimp ever to serve as president'

Who will Ann, Marc, Ron, et al, vote for now??? America just became a very dangerous place. What about MS-13? What about the new caravan just formed in Honduras? All those little brown people, with small hands, that don't even speak English!

Trump: “A Lot of People Say” George Soros Is Funding the Migrant Caravan

So Trump abandoned his demands for money for the wall, and the government will now re-open without the wall funding.  Good for him for putting the welfare of the US over his feelings of "looking foolish."

Now he wants funding in three weeks, or he will shut down the government again.  But given that he already gave in once that's unlikely.  Keep in mind that the last time he was negotiating with House democrats he said "I asked what is going to happen in 30 days if I quickly open things up, are you going to approve Border Security which includes a Wall or Steel Barrier? Nancy said, NO. I said bye-bye, nothing else works!" 

So apparently something else works, which is good.  He's already got $1.3 billion in new border funding from democrats; hopefully the democrats will up that a bit in three weeks and everyone will be (relatively) happy.  Or at least equally unhappy.

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Seriously?

As noted above, the campaign "promise" was to "Build a Wall" (pause, put hand to ear, wait for the crowd to shout) "And Make Mexico Pay For It!!!"

Only morons actually believed that. 

He had 2 years to get his 'wall money' passed. Through a R controlled House & Senate.
Why didn't he do it then? 
Why wasn't it an emergency then? 

What changed after the election, when the Ds took control of the House that it suddenly became an emergency?

Congress was never going to give him billions for a wall.  I said that back before he even had the nomination and people were freaking out about it- Congress controls spending and it's not going to happen.  He couldn't even get it from his own crew, so what he expected to get from the new batch is beyond me.

Now, 'Border Security' meaning more manpower, patrols, facilities, court resources that's all great.  The Wall was always a strange pipe dream.

4 minutes ago, jakee said:

Weaselly fucking douchebag.

Even if Trump did nothing objectionable except constantly use the phrase "many people are saying..." it'd still make him the worst president ever.

A lot of people are saying you're right.

• Like 1

The "open border" Democrat party has won. America is doomed to suffer the invasion of the caravans. The average skin colour will darken and the accent is going to change. Maybe the language too. Gangs, drugs, and crime will flourish. Lock up your wives and daughters, the rapists are coming. And who's fault is it????? CHUCKELOSI  FOR THE WIN!!!!!

9 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

The "open border" Democrat party has won. America is doomed to suffer the invasion of the caravans. The average skin colour will darken and the accent is going to change. Maybe the language too. Gangs, drugs, and crime will flourish. Lock up your wives and daughters, the rapists are coming. And who's fault is it????? CHUCKELOSI  FOR THE WIN!!!!!

I feel certain there's a way to blame Clinton for it.  Why isn't anyone blaming Clinton?  It's like you're not even trying any more.

US economy lost at least $6 billion during shutdown, S&P says

The U.S. economy lost at least $6 billion during the record-long partial government shutdown, S&P Global Ratings said Friday. ...

The shutdown, the longest in U.S. history, started on Dec. 22 over President Trump’s demand for $5.7 billion in funding for his long-desired wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.