ryoder

A Statement from the new Senator from UT

RonD1120

I never thought about it. However, I held no animus for those who could avoid the draft. I attended college with smart rich guys and I jumped on the weekends with active duty and veteran military. Now evading the draft by running to Canada was a different scenario. I did not like them. The former are privileged and the latter are cowards. That is a big difference in my mind.

You mean the former were privileged cowards?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

*********We all have very high hopes for the outcome of events in 2019. We are all extremists. Chaos is nearly guaranteed. It is going to be an exciting ride.

Remind me Ron, it was you who said the downfall of the US would come before the end of Bush's presidency, right? I believe we were supposed to be looking to the East for the Antichrist back then - where are we supposed to be looking now?

You are mistaken. I do not affix future time date stamps.

Ahh that's right, it was Bill Cole. You're just a bit sneakier than he was, I guess. You'll keep predicting 'shtf really soon!' until the end and claim you were never wrong, because its seriously still coming really soon.

Do not confuse the Rapture with SHTF.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Right, yeah that's the other sneaky thing - you don't even say what the shtf you keep predicting even means.

That's some really fine work you're doing Mr. Watchman.

"What is out there??"
"Ah it's like, something."
"How close is it?"
"Well y'know, someway."

>You mean the former were privileged cowards?

Nope. Cowards if they were Democrats, heroes if they were Republicans.

From Ron's previous comments:

"Doesn't Clinton deserve a little tinkle, since he was a draft dodger as well. Of course, he is still alive but, you could kinda spray the backside of his trailer."

"I gather from your responses that you were a draft dodger during the Vietnam War."

I guess his views have 'evolved.'

ryoder

so now people like you are going to be happy with the guy who is eviscerated for being misogynistic against women keeping women's resumes and killing dogs on top of the car? Holy shit hellis going to freeze over..

Your blatant hypocrisy is a thing to behold
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

so now people like you are going to be happy with the guy who is eviscerated for being misogynistic against women keeping women's resumes and killing dogs on top of the car? Holy shit hellis going to freeze over..

Well, your facts (or lack of accurate ones) is too.

Go away, sonny. Adults are talking.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

Well, your facts (or lack of accurate ones) is too.

Go away, sonny. Adults are talking.

Projection at its most blatant!

and you are correct adults are trying to speak here unfortunately you are not among them
Abraham Lincoln

I would LOVE to see Mitt back on the podium for 2020. I think he did himself a good service by waiting out 2016 and is in an excellent position for either 2020 or 2024.

Fiorina as well. She's got a mind like a high-speed optical drive. But, pretty sure she's on to bigger and better things than the Oval so the R's will need another good woman candidate to put on the pedestal.
Confirmed cynical sarcastic bastard since 2003

Iago

I would LOVE to see Mitt back on the podium for 2020. I think he did himself a good service by waiting out 2016 and is in an excellent position for either 2020 or 2024.

Fiorina as well. She's got a mind like a high-speed optical drive. But, pretty sure she's on to bigger and better things than the Oval so the R's will need another good woman candidate to put on the pedestal.

I knew we would eventually agree on something. Other than being a Mormon, Romney is a good republican. Carly Fiorina was smarter than anyone else that ran in the last presidential. She had every issue nailed front and back. It just too bad that issues are frequently less important than image. Less important than a funny or flippant one liner in debate.

Phil1111

***I would LOVE to see Mitt back on the podium for 2020. I think he did himself a good service by waiting out 2016 and is in an excellent position for either 2020 or 2024.

I knew we would eventually agree on something. Other than being a Mormon, Romney is a good republican. Carly Fiorina was smarter than anyone else that ran in the last presidential. She had every issue nailed front and back. It just too bad that issues are frequently less important than image. Less important than a funny or flippant one liner in debate.

Mitt wouldn’t run for the Senate seat without the intention of serving out his full term. So, no appearance 2020 plus it’s pretty hard to unseat a sitting President for the nomination. But, good chance he’ll be throwing his hat in for 2024.
Confirmed cynical sarcastic bastard since 2003

Hi Iago,

it’s pretty hard to unseat a sitting President for the nomination

However, these are not normal times: Donald Trump Is Proving Too Stupid to Be President

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4810077;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Jerry Baumchen

[email]
JerryBaumchen

Hi Iago,

However, these are not normal times: Donald Trump Is Proving Too Stupid to Be President

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4810077;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Jerry Baumchen

I love it when you claim Republican presidents are so fucking stupid but they beat your ass everyday. You just can't make that shit up
Abraham Lincoln

billvon

From Ron's previous comments:

"Doesn't Clinton deserve a little tinkle, since he was a draft dodger as well. Of course, he is still alive but, you could kinda spray the backside of his trailer."

"I gather from your responses that you were a draft dodger during the Vietnam War."

I guess his views have 'evolved.'

I believe you misquoted me.

I will admit that my views will change over time as my consciousness expands. At least I hope they do. For example, I used to believe the CIA to be an honorable function of our government because of the work my friends. Now I believe it should be dismantled.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

billvon

During the Vietnam War most of those of warrior age were neither D or R. They were too young to vote.

jakee

Right, yeah that's the other sneaky thing - you don't even say what the shtf you keep predicting even means.

"What is out there??"
"How close is it?"
"Well y'know, someway."

What do you see on the horizon?

Phil1111

It just too bad that issues are frequently less important than image. Less important than a funny or flippant one liner in debate.

Emotion will most often override logic.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Bill,

I guess I have different standards.

IMO as do decent people.

Jerry Baumchen

Are you saying that decent people do not accept cultural relativity?

RonD1120

*** It just too bad that issues are frequently less important than image. Less important than a funny or flippant one liner in debate.

Emotion will most often override logic.

I agree. Its unfortunate that more trump supporters can't post the logical reasons for their support in SC.

Are White Evangelicals the Saviors of the GOP?
https://www.rollcall.com/news/gonzales/are-white-evangelicals-the-saviors-of-the-gop

"Amid all the talk about shifting demographics and political changes over the last decade, one key voting group has remained virtually unchanged: white evangelicals.

According to one evangelical leader, a record number of white evangelicals voted in the 2018 midterms after an inspired turnout effort.

“This is the most ambitious and most effective voter education, get-out-the-vote program directed at the faith-based vote in a midterm election in modern political history,” Faith & Freedom Coalition President Ralph Reed said the day after the November elections....

Reed said “conservative Christians” — apparently a broader group composed of more than white evangelicals — made up 35 percent of the electorate. That’s according to an Election Day survey conducted by Public Opinion Strategies for Faith & Freedom. Previous surveys showed conservative Christians making up 33 percent of the electorate in 2016 and 32 percent in 2014....

While white evangelicals might have been a significant bloc of voters in the Senate, their relevance in House races might be waning. In 2006, Democrats gained 30 House seats while losing white evangelical voters by 42 points. In 2018, Democrats are poised to gain 40 seats while losing white evangelical voters by 53 points....

White evangelicals gave Trump 92 percent of their vote in 2016,"

Roll Call is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roll_Call

The above suggests that except for about eight percent of the vote. trump's base of support, 34% of all voters, arises from christian evangelicals.

Which brings up:

How US churches exploit tax exemption to promote faith-based politics
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/nov/20/us-churches-tax-exemption-faithbased-politics

"With the IRS turning a blind eye, the Christian right is getting its political advertising subsidised by American taxpayers

This fall, millions of people learned in church that they could go to hell if they didn't vote for a certain presidential candidate or party platform. Millions more took in media advertisements sponsored by religious groups that made the same point.

Let us set aside the question about whether God takes sides in American elections. The more pressing fact about this kind of religious-political advertising is that you, dear taxpayer, are footing part of the bill.

According to a recent Pew survey, about 13% of regular churchgoers reported receiving "political information" at church services, and about half of those said they were urged to support a specific candidate or party. So, to use the language of marketing, church-based advertising reached somewhere between 8 and 16 million "eyeballs"....

A number of fundamentalist Christian activists have an answer. Matt Barber, vice-president of the rightwing Liberty Counsel Action, spells it out in an op-ed for World News Daily titled "IRS Surrenders: Time for Churches to Get 'Political'". The Internal Revenue Service, he says, has given up on enforcing the law, so churches should just go ahead and flout it. If pastors get a letter from any liberal groups pointing out that electioneering will put their tax status in jeopardy, says Barber, "I suggest a singular use for it: bird-cage liner."

RonD1120

***Right, yeah that's the other sneaky thing - you don't even say what the shtf you keep predicting even means.

"What is out there??"
"How close is it?"
"Well y'know, someway."

What do you see on the horizon?

On the horizon?, let me answer.

Will Mitt Romney’s senate bid turn (more) Mormons away from Trump?
https://religionnews.com/2018/02/16/will-mitt-romneys-senate-bid-turn-more-mormons-away-from-trump/

" Mormons — the most reliably Republican major religious group in the United States — have been unusually slow to warm to Trump compared to other Republican presidents. Although a recent Gallup poll showed that more than 60 percent of the group approves of the president, experts argue that should be much higher, and Trump only secured 45.1 percent of the vote in the state during the 2016 general election — enough to win, but nowhere near the 72.8 percent Romney secured there when he ran in 2012. This resistance has endured: LDS church officials remain vocally supportive of immigrants in ways that sometimes contrast to Trump, and a 2017 PRRI survey found Republicans who identify as “Never Trump” are significantly more likely than other subgroups to be Mormon....

In Mormon circles, he’s in good company. The LDS church itself took the rare step of issuing a statement in December 2015 implicitly condemning Trump’s proposal to ban Muslims from entering the country. More recently, Mormon Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., delivered a speech from the Senate floor in January condemning Trump’s attacks on the press, concluding by invoking “Oh Say, What is Truth” — an old Mormon hymn.

Taken together, a perception has emerged that while Mormons continue to skew conservative, many remain uncomfortable with Trump — something Romney could capitalize on.

“Mormons have a reputation, and I think mostly rightly, for being generally polite and clean-cut and straight-laced — and none of these things are things Donald Trump embodies,” said Jessica Preece, associate professor of political science at Utah’s Brigham Young University. “There is a style issue that is distasteful to Mormons who are socially conservative and appreciate more traditional ways of doing politics.”...

But Kathleen Flake, professor of Mormon studies at the University of Virginia, explained the Mormon tendency to be “emphatically neutral” about faith grew out of a controversy in the early 1900s over an earlier Mormon senator from Utah, Reed Smoot....

“They worked out a particular stance with the federal government in the early 20th century and they’re sticking to it,” Kathleen Flake said. “It’s basically, ‘You obey the law, you act for the common good, and you show tolerance to everybody else — you don’t get in the way of others.’”

mmmm So the Mormons believe in a public good, tolerance, obey the law. On the other hand trump and christian evangelicals.

Perhaps Romney is the savior of the republican party. Something that Flake could not do. Needless to say he will have to have a thick skin and a iron spine of integrity.

Lindsey Graham, Other Republicans Attack Mitt Romney For Anti-Trump Op-Ed
https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/02/graham-attacks-mitt-romney-anti-trump/

Religion News Service is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_News_Service

RonD1120

***Hi Bill,

I guess I have different standards.

IMO as do decent people.

Jerry Baumchen

Are you saying that decent people do not accept cultural relativity?
Letting people off the hook because they’re rich while judging the poor is not cultural relativity.

>I will admit that my views will change over time as my consciousness expands. At least
>I hope they do.

I have a feeling the next time we have a democratic president who dodged the draft, your original views will quickly return, and you will explain to all how a Vietnam soldier could never countenance a draft dodger serving as Commander-in-Chief.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Iago,

Jerry Baumchen

It should be pretty easy to primary president Pence.