airdvr

Legalized Ganja

I'm curious...how will law enforcement and employers handle testing when it's legal?

If I'm not mistaken marijuana shows up 14 days on a urine test. As it is an employer will not hire you (in Ohio) if you test positive.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

When I took EMT training several years ago, I had to pass a drug test for licensing which included marijuana...even though it was already legal in CO.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

airdvr

I'm curious...how will law enforcement and employers handle testing when it's legal?

If I'm not mistaken marijuana shows up 14 days on a urine test. As it is an employer will not hire you (in Ohio) if you test positive.

We could detect THC up to 30 days with UA and one year with hair analysis. We never used the latter, too expensive.

I suspect that if caught stoned or drunk on the job, you're gone. A pre-employment UA would be at the discretion of the employer.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

IN OKLAHOMA:

https://www.visatrax.com/shared-content/content/blog/2018/august/oklahomas-new-medical-marijuana-law-and-your-workplace

Short course: For those who have any type of federal license/rulings; Medical, FAA, DOT, Military, VA., etc. etc. they do not fall under the protections of the OMMA; but can be tested under the ODTA rules.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Maybe I wasn't framing the question correctly.

Scenario: Weed is legal where I live and work. I apply for a job. I haven't blazed up in 10 days. I'm not currently under the effects but it shows up in my urine sample. How will an employer deal with that?

BTW...I'm just curious. :P

Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Scenario: Weed is legal where I live and work. I apply for a job. I haven't blazed up in 10 days. I'm not currently under the effects but it shows up in my urine sample. How will an employer deal with that?

You won't get the job because you failed the drug test.

(Same thing at one of the first DZ's I worked at, years ago.)

Yep. The qualification is failing the drug test, not being under the influence. If I go to Peru and drink a lot of coca tea (a LOT), I can fail a cocaine test. It's completely legal to drink coca tea; but I was subject to drug testing where I was working.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've pretty much been pre-screened my entire career.
The people I know that party, just don't for a time, then do.
I've never seen a test after being hired, I have seen a number of people fired for drinking on the job though.

I have had some jobs that test regularly, if you can't do that, then don't apply.

Given it being prescribed now? Depends on the job, and the employer.

To shorten this discussion, do some research when applying for work.

I have worked at number of places that do random testing...and those companies would let you know that.
Typically it was "We're doing a random drug screen next month!"
:D:D:D

To me, it's only weed and from my experience, the smokers were better coworkers than the heavy drinkers or those that preferred chemically self medicating.
If you can't do your job, it won't usually take a failed drug screen to toss your ass out. If an employer wants you out, it's generally quite easy to find justifiable reasons.

normiss

I have worked at number of places that do random testing...and those companies would let you know that.
Typically it was "We're doing a random drug screen next month!"
:D:D:D

Very different from what I saw at Motorola; They had "random" testing that worked like this:

- A co-worker had been there over 10 years, and never been tested. He gave his 2 weeks notice that he was quitting to go to IBM. He got called up for a "random" drug test a few days later. Note that when you got the notice, you had to appear for the test before 5pm on that same day.

- I worked there for 3 years w/o a "random" drug test. I gave my 2 weeks notice that I was quitting to move to CO. A few days later I got called up for my "random" test.

IOW Motorola just used drug testing as one last chance to fuck you over once you gave 2 weeks notice. If I had it to do over, I would have just quit w/o giving any notice at all.>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

airdvr

That's a real good question and I suspect some lawyers out there are going to make a ton of money hammering out the legalities in court.

Considering US companies like Altria are investing in the industry, the waters are going to be murky for a long time.
Confirmed cynical sarcastic bastard since 2003

When I worked at Motorola Computer Group....no testing at all.
One of the interesting times there, we had Aviall at Love Field as a customer, they were my primary customer on a major contract.
They had an entire IBM midframe computer stolen when 3 of us engineers were on-site (probably a few thousand people on the airport in that access area at the time), and Aviall was requiring all people on property take lie detector tests.
We were in line without question when a legal team from Motorola showed up and removed us. They told Aviall that their employees were not required to take a lie detector test, the company didn't support them, nor could they require us to.
The only people I saw fired while there?
1 for buying a Cadillac on his corporate card - took them 6 months to discover it and process him out.
1 for a DUI crash in a company car after spending the day at Caligula 21 in Dallas. :D

I've never seen a random drug screen in technology - in any industry/market I've worked in. Pretty surprising to me given the areas I've worked!

airdvr

It's an interesting question.

First off, regardless of the states where it's legal, it's still illegal under federal laws.

So anyone operating under federal laws is still subject to sanctions if they fail a test.

That applies to me as a truck driver. I'm subject to random testing (and it seems to be truly random, not what Ryoder was suggesting where he was). If I fail, I'm in trouble.

I think as long as it's illegal under federal law, employers can refuse to hire anyone who fails a pre-employment test.

I do know that a number of years ago (mid-90s) Wisconsin ruled that employers couldn't refuse to hire because of legal activities.
The specific example was smoking. Some places were testing for nicotine in the pre-employment test. The rationale was that smokers had much higher health care costs and had been shown to take more sick days (my understanding is that this is correct).
But there was a lawsuit that ruled that this was illegal discrimination. I know specifically of someone who failed a nicotine test, wasn't hired, and ended up being hired later after this ruling. She was a good, reliable worker. She hadn't made any 'legal threats', just called up and asked if she would be considered for hire after the ruling that the testing that kept her from being hired was discriminatory.

How this sort of thing would apply to this sort of thing is an interesting question.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

normiss

When I worked at Motorola Computer Group....no testing at all.
One of the interesting times there, we had Aviall at Love Field as a customer, they were my primary customer on a major contract.
They had an entire IBM midframe computer stolen when 3 of us engineers were on-site (probably a few thousand people on the airport in that access area at the time), and Aviall was requiring all people on property take lie detector tests.
We were in line without question when a legal team from Motorola showed up and removed us. They told Aviall that their employees were not required to take a lie detector test, the company didn't support them, nor could they require us to.

I was at the Schaumburg campus in IL.
Nice to hear of Moto doing something right.
Or maybe it was the lawyers we should credit.

At another large corporation, I was surprised to find that even though all web traffic passed out to Internet via proxies and was filtered & logged, TLS/SSL traffic bypassed the mess and went through unmolested.
The reason: Their lawyers did not want the company liable for doing man-in-the-middle hacks on supposedly secured communications.

I was subject to random testing at USA, and it was pretty random; no tests for about 10 years, then two in three months’ time, then never again. And yeah, if you got the call, you had to go right there. If you weren’t at your phone, your manager got the call and had to go find you if at all possible. One manager told an employee he valued and was worried about due to a spouse having left to go home and not come back until the next day. But normally, where the chips fell is where they laid.

People were also subject to for-cause testing, of course.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I work under federal jurisdiction and have random drug tests (truly random, must go in right then). My company has not specifically emphasized it, but I have heard of others in the same industry where pot was legalized reminding their employees strongly that just because it is legal now, it is still grounds for termination. Pre-employment testing same deal. You can even fail before doing the actual test. I heard one story of a bright young college student, family of someone in the industry, and got a great internship/co-op. Passed the interview, they loved him, the job was his. Then he filled out the new hire paperwork, formality, and one of the questions asks if you have smoked pot. He answered yes. Didn't occur to him that it was a problem, it was legal and I think it was just to try it anyway, in the past. Being honest on that form cost him the job. They had to reject him. Shame.
Max Peck
What's the point of having top secret code names, fellas, if we ain't gonna use 'em?

For heavy smokers, it can stay in your system for up to three months. If you're just an occasional toker ...very occasional ... then generally 7-14 days. If you're interviewing for a job that will test you, go to Walgreen's and buy a UA test to check yourself.

There was a story a few years ago about a disabled guy (quad) in Colorado working for Dish who had a medical license to smoke, but got randomed and subsequently fired. The firing held up under appeal, which isn't surprising given federal law. https://money.cnn.com/2015/06/15/news/companies/dish-employee-firing-marijuana-colorado-court/index.html