RonD1120

Gang Recruitment

gowlerk

******Most of the truly wealthy people I know and have known, don't live in gated communities or even have fences, unless they have pens for animals.
You continue to misunderstand the reality of the world you live in.

Then tell me, who lives in gated communities?

Mostly people like you, except with more resources.

That does not fit me. I will not live nor have I ever lived in a gated community.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

gowlerk

******Most of the truly wealthy people I know and have known, don't live in gated communities or even have fences, unless they have pens for animals.

So Nancy Pelosi is like Ron, except with more resources?
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

BartsDaddy

*********Most of the truly wealthy people I know and have known, don't live in gated communities or even have fences, unless they have pens for animals.

You are another victim and spreader of unfounded right wing falsehoods. About 2 minutes worth of research will show you that Nancy Pelosi does not live in a gated community and does not have a wall around her home. If you have seen a picture of her home that appears to show differently that is just a lie. The house in the picture has nothing to do with her.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

RonD1120

*********Most of the truly wealthy people I know and have known, don't live in gated communities or even have fences, unless they have pens for animals.

That does not fit me. I will not live nor have I ever lived in a gated community.

No, you live in a 'community' back in the Georgia mountains, surrounded by people who look like and believe as you do.

Where 'outsiders' are not welcome.

Not a whole lot different.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

gowlerk

************Most of the truly wealthy people I know and have known, don't live in gated communities or even have fences, unless they have pens for animals.

You are another victim and spreader of unfounded right wing falsehoods. About 2 minutes worth of research will show you that Nancy Pelosi does not live in a gated community and does not have a wall around her home. If you have seen a picture of her home that appears to show differently that is just a lie. The house in the picture has nothing to do with her.
I am not a victim of anything. And not trying to put forth any untruths. But yes I confused Pelosi with fienstien. That gated comunity had a couple buy the street because the hmo had not paid the taxes when it sold because of unpaid taxes.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

I think I heard something about that shit show a year or so ago. I'm no fan of Feinstein. She is well past her due date and not exactly a "woman of the people".
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

wolfriverjoe

************Most of the truly wealthy people I know and have known, don't live in gated communities or even have fences, unless they have pens for animals.

No, you live in a 'community' back in the Georgia mountains, surrounded by people who look like and believe as you do.

Where 'outsiders' are not welcome.

Not a whole lot different.

Who told you that we do not welcome outsiders? I have stated that if you are an outsider you have to fit in the community to survive with some form of quality.

For example, my wife and I moved here from west central FL. A short time later another couple from the same area moved up. We attend the same church.

My wife and I are active in our church and we tithe. The other couple not only tithe but contribute to other functions.

In order to fit in the church family, we adopted the local customs and made friends. The other folks, being professionals as well, brought their city ways and remain the same as when they lived in FL.

The difference is that the other couple is treated with polite respect whereas my wife and I have close friends. They have to buy their relationships.

We are now mountain folk and we learned the local byword, we don't care how you did it in FL. However, we will accept your money.

It was the same when I lived in the mountains of NM and CA as a member of the counter culture. These are the ways of rural folk.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

Who told you that we do not welcome outsiders? I have stated that if you are an outsider you have to fit in the community to survive with some form of quality.

For example, my wife and I moved here from west central FL. A short time later another couple from the same area moved up. We attend the same church.

My wife and I are active in our church and we tithe. The other couple not only tithe but contribute to other functions.

In order to fit in the church family, we adopted the local customs and made friends. The other folks, being professionals as well, brought their city ways and remain the same as when they lived in FL.

The difference is that the other couple is treated with polite respect whereas my wife and I have close friends. They have to buy their relationships.

We are now mountain folk and we learned the local byword, we don't care how you did it in FL. However, we will accept your money.

It was the same when I lived in the mountains of NM and CA as a member of the counter culture. These are the ways of rural folk.

Perhaps I mis-stated it.

You welcome outsiders, as long as they are just like you or willing to conform.

The statement that the people with 'city ways' have to 'buy their relationships' is pretty telling.

You don't welcome anyone different.

You fail to see the value of diversity.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

Nothing quite as satisfying as watching Sarah Huckabee Sanders getting her lies called out by a reporter from Fox News:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/foxs-chris-wallace-repeatedly-nails-sarah-sanders-on-bogus-border-terror-threat-claims/
:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Nothing quite as satisfying as watching Sarah Huckabee Sanders getting her lies called out by a reporter from Fox News:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/foxs-chris-wallace-repeatedly-nails-sarah-sanders-on-bogus-border-terror-threat-claims/

I think the 'funniest' part of that is the point that all of the terrorists caught coming into the US have been captured at airports. Not the border.

Yet the Mango Mussolini is so distracted by his stupid wall that he has stopped pay for a lot of government workers. Like TSA agents.

TSA agents aren't getting paid during the shutdown. So many of them are calling in sick. Partly so they can work other jobs that actually pay them.
I've heard that Air Traffic Controllers are doing the same thing, but I'm not seeing any stories from sources I trust.

ryoder

About 10 seconds in to her first reply she said that America is the only country in the world that values life. That valuing human life is a uniquely American attitude. I wish that was a joke, but it's not.

At least with Spicer you could tell he was uncomfortable telling the Administration's lies. Sanders on the other hand is devoid of shame. She'd tell you Trump was the second coming of Jesus in the same tone of voice she'd tell you the time.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

wolfriverjoe

Perhaps I mis-stated it.

You welcome outsiders, as long as they are just like you or willing to conform.

The statement that the people with 'city ways' have to 'buy their relationships' is pretty telling.

And that value would be?

RonD1120

And that value would be?

You really need to ask such a question?

How on earth can you call yourself a "counselor" if you think so narrow-minded, in single-tracks???? B|

Your posts more and more become implausible - and same time more and more are showing what they/you really are: against anything that's not like you, doesn't share your beliefs (the beliefs of an old man crouching somewhere in the mountains ....) Go and ask your Jesus (the refugee) if he will be prepared to accept you with that mindset at the pearly gates :S

dudeist skydiver # 3105

>And that value would be?

A more diverse, vibrant world made up of the best of many cultures.

Or to use more familiar terms:

For Americans it's Budweiser and franks at the ball park. It's having a hamburger and fries at the local hangout while watching hockey on their flatscreen TV. It's sending your kids to kindergarten to start their education. It's going out to have margaritas and nachos at the local sports bar. It's putting up a Christmas tree and waiting for St. Nick. It's having a picnic in summer and eating watermelon. It's having a barbeque on the 4th of July and watching the fireworks. It's going to a parade and cheering for your high school band as they march by.

Do you see any value at all in those things?

RonD1120

And that value would be?

First off, thank you for proving my point.

The value of diversity is in understanding that there may be a better way to do something.

That other points of view may have merit.

To be so closed-minded and intolerant that NO point of view other than your own is worth considering is to stop growing.

Many right-wing folks talk about "American Exceptionalism" as if it's a trait exclusive to American & Americans that makes this country as great as it is and has been. As if it's a inherent, natural trait that we have.

What itreally is is the conglomeration of ideas, backgrounds and cultures that various immigrants brought to America over the years. Many closed minded folks over the years have tried to limit or eliminate immigration. You know, 'we don't want those types of people coming here.'. Right now it's Hispanics. But in the past it's been every group. Italians, Irish, Eastern Europeans, Chinese, and on and on.

Fortunately, until recently (past 30 or 40 years or so), there was little movement towards that. Immigrants were allowed to enter and contribute to society. And they often thrived. And made huge contributions to the country. It's often been the children of these immigrants who made the biggest contributions. Steve Jobs, who's father came from Syria, is a classic example.

There are other factors that "Make America Great" (and it's already great). Rule of law and societal freedom of movement are two.

But it's diversity, the collection of different cultures and viewpoints, the 'melting pot' if you will, that is the biggest factor.

And that value would be?

I never thought I would defend Ron but here goes.

I don't think diversity for diversity's sake is always necessarily a good thing. This is a mistake that the modern left makes.

We, and I mean the western world have a certain way of doing things which has made our culture the dominant one.

We also have certain values in our society which are non-negotiable(Equality of Man and Woman, Basic Human Rights etc.)

Bringing in lots of people from cultures that do not share these values and ways of doing things leads to conflict.

Esp. looking at it from the European perspective I absolutely fail to see where increased diversity is making anything better for society as a whole.

This is especially true if diversity is increased very quickly and against the wishes of a lot of the native population.

If anybody could give me an example that states the opposite I'd be very interested.

christelsabine

And that value would be?

You really need to ask such a question?

How on earth can you call yourself a "counselor" if you think so narrow-minded, in single-tracks???? B|

Counseling is not about what I think. It is about how I can facilitate my client's thinking.

billvon

>And that value would be?

A more diverse, vibrant world made up of the best of many cultures.

Or to use more familiar terms:

For Americans it's Budweiser and franks at the ball park. It's having a hamburger and fries at the local hangout while watching hockey on their flatscreen TV. It's sending your kids to kindergarten to start their education. It's going out to have margaritas and nachos at the local sports bar. It's putting up a Christmas tree and waiting for St. Nick. It's having a picnic in summer and eating watermelon. It's having a barbeque on the 4th of July and watching the fireworks. It's going to a parade and cheering for your high school band as they march by.

Do you see any value at all in those things?

I like bar-b-que and the Fourth of July. The rest has no immediate value for me.

wolfriverjoe

And that value would be?

First off, thank you for proving my point.

The value of diversity is in understanding that there may be a better way to do something.

That other points of view may have merit.

To be so closed-minded and intolerant that NO point of view other than your own is worth considering is to stop growing.

Many right-wing folks talk about "American Exceptionalism" as if it's a trait exclusive to American & Americans that makes this country as great as it is and has been. As if it's a inherent, natural trait that we have.

What itreally is is the conglomeration of ideas, backgrounds and cultures that various immigrants brought to America over the years. Many closed minded folks over the years have tried to limit or eliminate immigration. You know, 'we don't want those types of people coming here.'. Right now it's Hispanics. But in the past it's been every group. Italians, Irish, Eastern Europeans, Chinese, and on and on.

Fortunately, until recently (past 30 or 40 years or so), there was little movement towards that. Immigrants were allowed to enter and contribute to society. And they often thrived. And made huge contributions to the country. It's often been the children of these immigrants who made the biggest contributions. Steve Jobs, who's father came from Syria, is a classic example.

There are other factors that "Make America Great" (and it's already great). Rule of law and societal freedom of movement are two.

But it's diversity, the collection of different cultures and viewpoints, the 'melting pot' if you will, that is the biggest factor.

I desire to have all sorts of people come and live in America. I want them to come in legally. I want them to desire assimilation into our way of life. I want them to learn to speak English. I want them to add to our society and not drain it.

Open borders do not accomplish or facilitate those values. The Ds see them only as a means to gain power and control through buying their votes with welfare. It is spiritually evil.

I do not think you truly understand "American Exceptionalism."

Thanks for two beautifully-stated opinions on immigration. I think we might be seeing a long-term effect of the easy mobility, both physical and of ideas, afforded by technology. This mobility is erasing natural boundaries affforded by distance and obstacles like mountains and oceans. So of course people are going to move, just as earlier generations moved off farms (leaving farmer parents in the lurch sometimes), or left their countries for opportunity in the new world (much of Europe from the 1600’s to the 1900’s). And they displaced people who were happily living in those places.

We’re no more at a perfect place in the world now than we were 50 years ago. Some places are great, others not so much. Overall fewer people actually die of starvation than used to, so the overall level is probably higher. But is “better than mass starvation” a good point?

So I think we just enjoy the present and try to invest of ourselves in a future we want for the people we like who are coming after us. Because it will be different.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

ibx

And that value would be?

I never thought I would defend Ron but here goes.

I don't think diversity for diversity's sake is always necessarily a good thing. This is a mistake that the modern left makes.

We, and I mean the western world have a certain way of doing things which has made our culture the dominant one.

We also have certain values in our society which are non-negotiable(Equality of Man and Woman, Basic Human Rights etc.)

Bringing in lots of people from cultures that do not share these values and ways of doing things leads to conflict.

Esp. looking at it from the European perspective I absolutely fail to see where increased diversity is making anything better for society as a whole.

This is especially true if diversity is increased very quickly and against the wishes of a lot of the native population.

If anybody could give me an example that states the opposite I'd be very interested.

Well certainly Germany,, yourself ,together with Angela Merkel, would have ideas on this subject. "Germany received a total of about 1.35 million migrants during this period – including an estimated 850,000 Muslims." 2010-2016.
The Growth of Germany’s Muslim Population
http://www.pewforum.org/essay/the-growth-of-germanys-muslim-population/

The concept that you refer to is called assimilation. Whereby immigrants adopt the values and norms of the native population. Rather than holding onto concepts of conduct and thinking from their native culture. Establishing enclaves whereby their native culture is rigidly held, Sometimes in violation of the new country's laws and norms. You have a valid point and every country who has allowed massive immigration. Has had to face the same issues. It has cost Mrs Merkel the leadership of her party.

The conventional norms of immigration policy for most western countries. Provides demonstrable economic gains.Because education, financial assets, etc. count favorably in the citizenship application. In your case, I assume you mean the massive acceptance of Muslim refugees fleeing the Syrian war.

Germany has values described as the Protestant work ethic, A "Soziale Marktwirtschaft" or that the economy and society are interdependent. An idea that escapes many Americans. By interdependent, that is to mean not driven by exclusive self interest. For some Americans, freedom from others depending on the state for any purpose. Is the sole driving force of their political views.

Germany also has the hangover, baggage, or a brighter term, lessons. Arising from WW2 and fascism. All of which created, as a unintended effect, a relatively pure German identity. Similar to what Japan has created by almost eliminating immigration.

This touches on some of those concepts of assimilation, the drag of immigration on the welfare state and diversity.
Debating diversity
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2007/oct/30/debatingdiversity

There is this view from a very conservative magazine. Although still left of Ron.
Is Diversity a Strength, and Should Strength Be a Core Value?
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/01/diversity-our-strength-it-true/

America's diversity is our Army's strength

By Secretary of the Army Eric Fanning September 30, 2016
https://www.army.mil/article/174964/americas_diversity_is_our_armys_strength

Further reading:
Is Germany a Model for Managers?
https://hbr.org/1992/09/is-germany-a-model-for-managers

IMO your question is well founded, just because phrases are common from the right and the left. Dosn't mean that they should not be questioned, debated and modified in their interpretation.

Ethnic areas of cities has always drawn me to them for their culture and especially their food.
I love standing in the middle of a 'China town' area and seeing no clue that you're standing in America. Nothing in English, nothing recognizable as American.
Greek, Italian, German, Hispanic, Irish, even some Russian are very interesting areas. Learning about their culture has always been interesting. We could learn a LOT from the hospitality and respect of some cultures.

I always that that's what America was. Diversity with a common desire for a common nation.
It's how I was raised in a multi-generational military family to think that. Nationality and race never mattered.