MrFreefall383

Jumped smaller canopy for IAF 6 today

Finally got to do my IAF 6 after almost a month of crappy weather and other shitty circumstances. Couldn't have asked for a better jump day. Very little cloud cover, almost no wind, nice and warm.

Got a smaller canopy for the jump today. Was jumping a Navigator 280, the talk was of dropping me to a 240, but good ol' Pete decided I'd enjoy a 220 more, so up I went with a Navi 220 strapped to my ass. Jumped out, had some minor instability in freefall but was able to compensate and do some arm turns and forward movement. It seems now that my two biggest problems in freefall are that my legs aren't nearly bent enough, and largely because of that, I can't arch fully. Now I know where I need tweaking.

Opening was awesome, though a little rougher than I was used to on the 280. Since I had compensated for a solid heading, no linetwists like the last two openings, and I flew myself down to the DZ comfortably. Landing pattern was excellent, ended up slightly short of the intended target, but stood it up. A little more lift than I thought there'd be, largely because of the high temperature, so I was in full flare floating down the DZ at 5 ft, then dropped a little hard on my left foot and ran it out till the canopy collapsed. All-in-all, a pretty successful jump, feelin' pretty good about it.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

Does Pete still have the "A dead student is not a repeat customer shirt"? On your next jump, ask him if his cypress is on.

Actually, I did my AFF with Pete. He's a great guy. Listen to him, he'll take care of you. Most of all, follow his always sage advice "Don't fuck up."

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Haha, yeah, thanks. :P

As for the shirt, I haven't seen it. I have heard a story about how another former student almost killed him a little while back though.

And yes, he is still good about saying, "Don't fuck up." But more than that, it's stuff like, "Always check your anti-splatter gauge, it'll keep you from becoming stiff."
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

Pete is truly a unique individual, but I'm glad I had him as an instructor. Letting him find out I'm ticklish, on the other hand, was not something I'm terribly glad about ;)

Pete-isms are just that-- having them come out of any one else's mouth just doesn't have the same effect, but yes, "Don't Fuck Up" is good to keep in mind...:S

Well done. I watched you land. Nice job. :)

Thanks for the positive reinforcement. Gives me the drive to keep on pluggin' away at it.

And to Ginger, now I know you're ticklish, and after Pete told me about that little "incident," I'm pretty convinced you really were trying to kill him. :P

NEVER!!! Pete may be evil, but I would never wish any harm to come to him:P

Maybe one of these days I'll actually see you at the DZ again. Just a warning, I sometimes wander around with my head up my ass, so don't be offended if I walk right past you and forget to say I, I'm just retarded like that...

I'm just kidding of course, I know you'd never wish any harm to Pete, I just figured I'd poke you about it for a little while. I'm fun like that. ;)

As for not saying hello to me, that's no problem, I'm used to that. :P

Well done. I watched you land. Nice job. :)

Thanks for the positive reinforcement. Gives me the drive to keep on pluggin' away at it.

And to Ginger, now I know you're ticklish, and after Pete told me about that little "incident," I'm pretty convinced you really were trying to kill him. :P

I've jumped with Ginger. She didn't seem ticklish when she was flailing around trying to get stable. :)

Speaking of, Ginger - Gonna be on my 100th next Saturday?? Hmm???

I don't really think I flail all that much... unless you were observing a pathetic attempt at sitflying, in which case I was a mess...

sidenote- "flail" is a funny word

I will do my best to be there on saturday, but as of right now, it looks like I will have to go to work (i know, gotta get my priorities straight)

Besides, I must be reasonably stable and not totally suck if you want me on your 100th...:P

If I really did flail, wouldn't I just get in the way and be a danger to everyone else?

I'm pretty sure you're just picking on me beause I'm easy to pick on. Its a good thing that I'm used to it by nowB|

Dave-- you know you're gonna have fun on the "other side" of the DZ once you graduate. You've already made some friends:)

Damn, plenty of ranchhands on the forums. Pete is the man. A little crusty, grant you that, but a great guy to learn to skydive with and his dont fuck up line works well on a t shirt (especially one with his picture on it!)
"Remember the First Commandment: Don't Fuck Up!"
-Crusty Old Pete

Damn, plenty of ranchhands on the forums. Pete is the man. A little crusty, grant you that, but a great guy to learn to skydive with and his dont fuck up line works well on a t shirt (especially one with his picture on it!)

I'd pay top dollar for a shirt like that, and wear it all the damn time. B|

maybe we should enter into negotiations with sonic for distribution! Too bad the weather isn't looking too good for this weekend, but I'm sure I'll meet you sooner or later in the student area. I'll be the guy wondering if my girlfriend (Christreena as she's called at the ranch) is gonna land out again.
-Crusty Old Pete

AHHHH, now I know who you are!!! I haven't seen you guys around there in a while, but maybe we're just missing each other or I'm spending too much time on the other side.

It isn't Sonic you need to talk to for the shirts, its Donna... She's in charge of the clothing side of the store.

I just got home from the Ranch, and since its after 1 AM, I think its time for me to go to sleep.

I guess you are spending too much time on the other side Ginger. We've been coming up every time it looks like the weekend is jumpable. But damn, you've really packed on the jumps! Did you get gear or are you renting from Sonic. By the way, now I know why you always tried to jump that 200. Since I've been on the 220 I really don't wanna go back to the 280. What size canopy are you jumping now?
-Crusty Old Pete

I had gear before I got my A, but was jumping one of Sonic's canopies in my container with my reserve and stuff. Now I'm jumping all my stuff, with a Sabre2 170 in it. I tend to be able to jump more during the week lately due to my work schedule, so that's probably part of why we're missing each other. The weekends that I do go, I tend to stay over on the other side. I guess I'll see you soon, though.