ryoder

New York comedian pokes fun at Casa Grande in video

billvon

That's so unfair! Casa Grande has excellent hotels, restaurants and healthcare facilities.

OK maybe that's overstating it. They have hotels and restaurants. And a medical center. And it's close to Eloy.

Casa Grande gives you somewhere to go other than The Prop. And it has a Golden Corral where you can go to watch whales.
  • Like 1

Memories of Casa Grande -

Driving around for 6 hours with our 12 month old in the back. He wouldn't sleep unless the car was moving. So I drove him around all night until he fell asleep, then I'd park and go to sleep myself. Then he'd wake up. I got to see a lot of Casa Grande that night (in the dark, of course.)

Nationals started the next morning.

The dinner after the 300-way (my first world record) where Mike McGowan printed out 300 copies of his picture of the completion for us.

The 4 or 5 times that a teammate knew of this "great new restaurant" that was "somewhere near the X" (Walmart, the fire station etc.) Never found any. We'd invariably end up at Eva's.

I've been to Coolidge three times. A dozen or so jumps. ( one was a DC-4. Wild double prop-blast for sure! ). Most of the rest were twin Beeches and DC-3s..

Even back in the late '70s, early '80s, this place had a fair amount of mystique.

Where is it relative to Casa Grande? I never was able to determine which was which. :S

Where is the "hand?" :P

When I jumped there, it was the old hangers (which I am assuming aren't there anymore?).

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

I've been to Coolidge three times. A dozen or so jumps. ( one was a DC-4. Wild double prop-blast for sure! ). Most of the rest were twin Beeches and DC-3s..

Even back in the late '70s, early '80s, this place had a fair amount of mystique.

Where is it relative to Casa Grande? I never was able to determine which was which. :S

When I jumped there, it was the old hangers (which I am assuming aren't there anymore?).

Casa Grande is better known because it sits near the junction of I-8 and I-10. Coolidge is about 10 miles NE, Eloy is about 10 miles SE. I believe a military only DZ is still in Coolidge, but I could be confusing it with another town.

gowlerk

***I've been to Coolidge three times. A dozen or so jumps. ( one was a DC-4. Wild double prop-blast for sure! ). Most of the rest were twin Beeches and DC-3s..

Casa Grande is better known because it sits near the junction of I-8 and I-10. Coolidge is about 10 miles NE, Eloy is about 10 miles SE. I believe a military only DZ is still in Coolidge, but I could be confusing it with another town.

That's correct
Remster

I did my AFF at Coolidge and really like the small DZ feel. We use to call the Twotter in from Eloy when we could get a load pulled together.

Some bad business dealings with the owner at the time (purchased a main that was never delivered) and hearing other experiencing the same I made the move to Eloy.

Arrived at Davis-Monthan AFB in October 1977 and made many jumps in Arizona.  "The Gulch" was just closed about the time I got there and everybody had moved to Coolidge.  I made currency jumps with Bobby V. At that time Giles Ploof managed the DZ and I will never forget the amazing cast of characters: Zing, Wierd Wayne (who would swoop the hanger, kick the windsock and land inside), Rick, Judy, Desert Heat (Tom,Dan, Irv et al), Denise, Slocum, Black Val... Oh the cargo door Beech...Hang Load (33 Zulu), and many more fond memories.