billvon

Mueller investigation - making money for America

>Didn't work out too well for Flynn.

I thought that whole saga was interesting. Trump wished him 'good luck.' I have a feeling Trump was thinking that Flynn 'stood up' to the FBI and refused to cooperate, and he would use his sentencing hearing to denounce those mean FBI guys who 'ambushed' him by asking questions. As he entered, his family and friends were smiling and happy. They thought he would get off lightly.

But that didn't happen. The judge tore him a new asshole. "Your crime . . undermines everything this flag over here stands for. Arguably, you sold your country out." Flynn said he wasn't coerced or tricked by the FBI, and that he was guilty of the crimes he was accused of. And his lawyers, seeing how this was going, asked the judge for a little more time so he could cooperate more with the investigation. They thought he needed some more evidence of cooperation before sentencing, or he was going to go away for a long time.

As one commentator put it, it looked like Flynn started to believe the Trump/FOX narrative - and started ignoring the legal reality of his situation. The judge brought him quickly back to earth.

I think this is a great point but I have a question that doesn't seemed to be addressed in any of these reports; of the 48 million in seized assets, how much of that is actual equity? You have to assume the properties all have a fair amount of debt associated with them as people don't pay cash for multi million dollar estates. Therefore the amount appears to be very misleading, as much as I would like it to be true.

normiss

When criminal asset forfeiture hits, the debt is usually on the criminal.
Doesn't affect the property value at all.

A criminal defense attorney friend of mine has told me few stories of cases he had where this happened.

That is my understanding too.

For example, fourth offense OWI in Wisconsin results in seizure of the offender's car.
If there is still debt owed, the car is gone and the owner still owes the bank.

In this particular case, I think Manfort has enough money and is old enough that he likely has little debt on his properties.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo