1 1
jakee

Drones and Airports

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

I re-read the entire thread before I posted. I stand by what I said to you.

"They won't be able to get away with it.... This is not going to be an ongoing problem. It's easily fixable."

Hey, if you're cool with lying it's your decision. Kinda odd when the evidence is right there in black and white tho.

Clearly the FAA is on top of things here in the USA.  Now my R/C pterodactyl has its FAA mandated registration number on its crest, it can't possibly be a threat to airports, politicians, or national security.

(Yes it does fly, rather like a duck https://www.facebook.com/kallend/videos/10155071075211800/

No photo description available.

Edited by kallend
added link to video
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, kallend said:

Clearly the FAA is on top of things here in the USA.  Now my R/C pterodactyl has its FAA mandated registration number on its crest, it can't possibly be a threat to airports, politicians, or national security.

(Yes it does fly, rather like a duck https://www.facebook.com/kallend/videos/10155071075211800/

No photo description available.

Your FB settings won't allow me to see that post.

I think its a fascinating piece of engineering. When he first posted the picture of the head and mentioned pterodactyl. I had to google it and subsequently had to watch 1/2 dozen you-tube video's of them.

My first thought was some sort of ducted fan before the first seconds of video. Now if it only had some range and a speaker, with some shrieking on it! Something loud enough to drown out any motor sound.

4 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

I think its a fascinating piece of engineering. When he first posted the picture of the head and mentioned pterodactyl. I had to google it and subsequently had to watch 1/2 dozen you-tube video's of them.

My first thought was some sort of ducted fan before the first seconds of video. Now if it only had some range and a speaker, with some shrieking on it! Something loud enough to drown out any motor sound.

Oh, it DOES have a speaker with a shriek!  And the eyes glow.

15 hours ago, gowlerk said:

That is hilariously cool. Must eat up the battery pretty quickly, but oh so fun.

Flights are about 5 minutes.  But the important thing is that now it has the federally mandated externally located registration number it is no longer considered a threat to mankind.

4 minutes ago, kallend said:

The mechanism of mine is stand-alone, with a pterodactyl shaped housing made of foam wrapped around it.  You can basically make it look like any pterosaur, bird or bat that you like by changing the body.

So without derailing this thread completely:)

Are your wings airfoil shaped? Are the wingbeats, software or mechanically controlled?

The flight of yours seems to mimic what  pterodactyl flight in movies is like. Obviously who knows what the characteristics were exactly like. This model seems to really replicate the quick elbow to wingtip flapping of a peregrine. This one seems to glide better than yours, power off?

2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

So without derailing this thread completely:)

Are your wings airfoil shaped? Are the wingbeats, software or mechanically controlled?

The flight of yours seems to mimic what  pterodactyl flight in movies is like. Obviously who knows what the characteristics were exactly like. This model seems to really replicate the quick elbow to wingtip flapping of a peregrine. This one seems to glide better than yours, power off?

Wings are just plastic sheet on a carbon fiber rod frame.  Wing beat rate controlled from the radio.  Doesn't glide well at all.  Is registered, as mandated, with the Federal Government, although somehow I don't see terrorists using R/C pterodactyls to further their cause.  But the government doesn't have to make sense.

4 minutes ago, kallend said:

Wings are just plastic sheet on a carbon fiber rod frame.  Wing beat rate controlled from the radio.  Doesn't glide well at all.  Is registered, as mandated, with the Federal Government, although somehow I don't see terrorists using R/C pterodactyls to further their cause.  But the government doesn't have to make sense.

Ah, but no one suspects a plastic pterodactyl!  

In college, after a particularly late party, we plotted a way to assassinate Gaddafi by flying a Snoopy's Flying Doghouse into him at a soccer game.  No one would suspect it.  I mean, it's Snoopy.