1 1
jakee

Drones and Airports

In what feels like a problem that has been waiting to break out for some time now, London Gatwick airport (33rd busiest in the world, approx the same size as SeaTac) has been shut down for approaching a full day because of persistent drone activity inside the airfield boundary.

Forty or fifty airborne flights were diverted, hundreds of scheduled flights have been cancelled spreading disruption to many other international airports, and over 100k passengers will be directly affected each day. The impact is massive.

What is going to happen with Drones in future? Legal, freely available, untrackable, useable without any training or preparation... This could set a huge precedent. Any disgruntled teenager who wants to piss off the world can just drive to the nearest major city airport, park up in a layby somewhere, send it on its way and be back home in time to watch the news coverage.

Let alone the implications for international terrorism. What might happen when the ISIS and Al Qaeda cells sprinkled through Europe realise what they can achieve without even having to go to the trouble of stockpiling automatic weapons or hijacking trucks? Say 10 people cherry picking the busiest interconnected European hubs (maybe Dublin, Heathrow, Gatwick, De Gaulle, Schiphol, Franfurt, Munich, Madrid, Barcelona and Roma) could paralyse the continent, if the sheer number of diversions overwhelmed normal operations everywhere else. They could even co-ordinate an attack on major US aiports at the same time and have the majority of trans-atlantic flights in both directions needing to divert or turn back.

They could do all that without any illegal or even suspicious activity needed while preparing, relatively small material investment and a decent chance of getting away, meaning the same people could potentially repeat the event a week later before the airlines and airports have even got back to normal.

Maybe it'll never get that serious, it just seems so easy that it's hard to imagine the current situation being a one-off.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

In addition to the all the possible scenarios you have the described, the fall-out for legitimate drone pilots/operators is almost incalculable.
Down here the licensing requirements and financial outlay to set up any kind of small commercial operation is already prohibitive because of idiots like these.
Stunts like this one is likely to have dramatic affects for the whole industry.

I really do hope these people get smacked to fullest possible extent of the law.

Erroll

In addition to the all the possible scenarios you have the described, the fall-out for legitimate drone pilots/operators is almost incalculable.

I'd imagine it will be, but unfortunately what's the alternative? Right now, it's just too easy. A couple have now been arrested, but only on the third day of constantly returning to disrupt flight operations. A more 'hit and run' style could easily have left them free and clear.

And imagine the range of possible motives that could lead to this type of action. Terrorists, eco-campaigners, disgruntled employees, maybe it'll turn out these two were local noise complainers? How long do you think it'll be before DZs start facing their local noise protesters hovering drones over the runway threshold?:o

I really do hope these people get smacked to fullest possible extent of the law.

I'm sure they'll get the book thrown at them. The specific crime of flying a drone within 1km of an airport boundary has a potential 5 year sentence, but at this point there are probably quite a few more charges that could be tacked on.

jakee

And imagine the range of possible motives that could lead to this type of action. Terrorists, eco-campaigners, disgruntled employees, maybe it'll turn out these two were local noise complainers? How long do you think it'll be before DZs start facing their local noise protesters hovering drones over the runway threshold?:o

Hey!
Don't go giving our local Colorado DZ-Harasser new ideas!>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

My bet was DSE was in England filming it.

(Sorry inside joke.)

https://www.battelle.org/government-offerings/national-security/aerospace-systems/counter-UAS-technologies/dronedefender

Just about every organization on the planet has one of these, very soon the MET is going to get sum.

DSE's worst nightmare, IMO.

But your right the growth curves for these toys are off the chart. Same as firearms in the states, same argument, same slippery slope, same erosion of personal rights that too many of yo libertards are ignoring as well.

On another vein, how many of you all remember kites and balloons? Stupid people win stupid prizes.
Brett Bickford Did Not Commit Suicide.

He is the victim of ignorance and faulty gear. AND as in the movie: "12 Angry Men," of an ignorant and callous jury.

ryoder

Hey!
Don't go giving our local Colorado DZ-Harasser new ideas!>:(

That's exactly who I was thinking of I'm afraid!

But you ride as well, so I'm sure you're aware of the anti-trail psychos who dig holes, lay spikes, pile rocks on blind landings and string wire and fishing line across singletrack because they don't like mountain bikers? People like your clear skies lunatic absolutely will start to do the same thing with drones when they realise how easy it is to halt your operations and get away with it.

I don't think it's a problem that is going to go away on its own.

People like your clear skies lunatic absolutely will start to do the same thing with drones when they realise how easy it is to halt your operations and get away with it.

They won't be able to get away with it. At least not more than once. And the penalties are going to be very heavy. Endangering aircraft is not tolerated at all. This is not going to be an ongoing problem. It's easily fixable. However, terrorists may eventually find a way of using drones as attack vehicles. The CIA terrorizes people with theirs regularly.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

People like your clear skies lunatic absolutely will start to do the same thing with drones when they realise how easy it is to halt your operations and get away with it.

They won't be able to get away with it. At least not more than once.

Well, turns out the couple arrested were completely uninvolved, so at present the perpetrators of this one are getting away with it. And that's despite carrying out many illegal flights against a major international airport in the face of a massive joint police and military response.

So the people who might target your local DZ are going to get caught because why?

gowlerk

They won't be able to get away with it. At least not more than once. And the penalties are going to be very heavy. Endangering aircraft is not tolerated at all. This is not going to be an ongoing problem. It's easily fixable. However, terrorists may eventually find a way of using drones as attack vehicles. The CIA terrorizes people with theirs regularly.

WELL.

I've been flying R/C aircraft since 1964 and "drones" since 2010, and I have a commercial "Remote Pilot Certificate" from the FAA, although this was just an easy $5 add-on to my regular pilot certificate since I don't fly a UAS commercially. Right now I have 6 "drones" and 32 regular R/C planes in my basement, including one capable of over 150mph. This would be a very small, fast, highly maneuverable target.

It is now easy to construct a competely autonomous UAS if you have a smattering of Arduino or similar capability (in fact there are flight controllers available that require almost no skill to program beyond touching waypoints on a touch screen). To be disruptive they don't need to be weaponized, a swarm of inexpensive, untraceable, disposable machines could be released from the back of a van pretty much anywhere and the perp just drives away - no radio link required which makes jamming them difficult without jamming legitimate GPS users too.

Other than long prison sentences, I have no idea of the solution.

Link to photos of some of my models: www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.2139518729615801&type=3

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Those will be awaiting anyone found to be disrupting the air system. The machines will be recovered and traced. There will be surveillance video that will help. And there will be forensic evidence on the machines. In other words, normal ordinary investigative procedures will put a stop to the very few people who are willing to risk long hard time to do this.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Those will be awaiting anyone found to be disrupting the air system. The machines will be recovered and traced. There will be surveillance video that will help. And there will be forensic evidence on the machines. In other words, normal ordinary investigative procedures will put a stop to the very few people who are willing to risk long hard time to do this.

Very difficult to trace off-the-shelf hardware bought from China and assembled in a clean room.

Very difficult to trace off-the-shelf hardware bought from China and assembled in a clean room.

Sure, a disciplined organized person could get away with it for a while. But that hardly describes the people who are likely to be motivated to do so. It's not like there is money to be made.

gowlerk

Except so far that hasn't worked at one of the world's busiest airports. Why's it going to work at your DZ?

Except so far that hasn't worked at one of the world's busiest airports. Why's it going to work at your DZ?

I'm not sure. But I'm reasonably certain we will find out. But it does seem possible in this instance that there was a certain amount of hysteria and over reaction. As in unconfirmed sightings and over reactions. It now appears there may have actually not been any drones at all.

gowlerk

It now appears there may have actually not been any drones at all.

Source on that?

Gatwick 'no drone' police comment 'miscommunicated'

As of today: Sussex Police's chief constable "absolutely certain that there was a drone flying throughout the period that the airport was closed".

jakee

***It now appears there may have actually not been any drones at all.

Source on that?

As of today: Sussex Police's chief constable "absolutely certain that there was a drone flying throughout the period that the airport was closed".

We'll see. The Sussex police are saying that. No other agency is. It appears likely that there was a drone or drones at the beginning of this crisis. Beyond that, for the amount of time it went on, is another matter.

gowlerk

I'm not sure. But I'm reasonably certain we will find out. But it does seem possible in this instance that there was a certain amount of hysteria and over reaction. As in unconfirmed sightings and over reactions. It now appears there may have actually not been any drones at all.

I read an article several days ago that pointed out:
- No airport officials nor pilots have actually seen a drone.
- No photographic evidence has been produced.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

gowlerk

******It now appears there may have actually not been any drones at all.

Source on that?

We'll see. The Sussex police are saying that. No other agency is.

Well, Gatwick is in Sussex. Which other agency would you believe, the RCMP? FBI?

kallend

*********It now appears there may have actually not been any drones at all.

Source on that?

Well, Gatwick is in Sussex. Which other agency would you believe, the RCMP? FBI?

Yes, I know. Britain does have other larger organizations with national security responsibilities. They have been very quiet on the matter. Perhaps it is just professional respect. Or perhaps they don't want to wade into the debacle that this is rapidly becoming.

kallend

*********It now appears there may have actually not been any drones at all.

Source on that?

I'm not believing anything until Qanon confirms it.:|

The Sussex police are saying that. No other agency is.

The Sussex police are in charge of the investigation, and responsible for public communications.

A lack of statements by anyone else is indicative of nothing.

gowlerk

Yes, I know. Britain does have other larger organizations with national security responsibilities. They have been very quiet on the matter.

As a general rule, they are quiet on everything.