airdvr

Afghanistan and Syria exits

airdvr

***>We've essentially left our best ally against ISIS unprotected on the battlefield.

"Make America Great Again." Nothing in there about our allies!

You and the usual cast of characters were totally against being there. Now all of a sudden you have a problem with leaving. Who was POTUS when this started?

I don't understand this type of reasoning at all.

If I am against my wife spending $3,000 on a purse, can I not be against her giving that purse away for free after she has purchased it?

airdvr

***>We've essentially left our best ally against ISIS unprotected on the battlefield.

"Make America Great Again." Nothing in there about our allies!

You and the usual cast of characters were totally against being there. Now all of a sudden you have a problem with leaving. Who was POTUS when this started?

You're correct, the cast of characters who saw through the "WMD's are there!" bullshit were aware of what every regional expert had advised, the advice that George Bush Sr. followed, that once you're in there you're there for a long time. There's no easy exit strategy and you're left with picking up the pieces. Bush Jr was stupid for going in, was stupid for agreeing to the withdrawal so soon, Obama was stupid for following through with it, our Representatives were stupid for not agreeing to go back in when ISIS was still vulnerable.

How long do we need to keep making the same stupid decisions and learning the same lesson, that in our absence the power vacuum is filled by extremists and the unrest in the region creates humanitarian and trade issues that that we feel directly.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Pentagon chief of staff Kevin Sweeney resigns
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46773138

Department of Defence chief of staff Kevin Sweeney has resigned, a month after the Defence Secretary James Mattis announced his departure.

Rear Admiral Sweeney said in a statement that "the time is right to return to the private sector".

He is now the third senior Pentagon official to announce his resignation since President Donald Trump announced US forces would leave Syria.

His announcement comes days after General Mattis left his post early, after initially planning to stay in his role until February.

His departure adds to a sense of uncertainty surrounding the Trump administration's defence and foreign policies since the surprise announcement of the planned withdrawal from Syria, analysts say.

Department spokeswoman Dana White also left her post after the president's surprise announcement on Syria, as did Brett McGurk, the presidential special envoy to the global coalition fighting so-called Islamic State."

Once again French champagne and the best beluga caviar is served in the Kremlin. Life has been good to President Putin for the last two years. Kompromat, its better than gold or diamonds.

A Theory of Trump Kompromat

https://www.newyorker.com/news/swamp-chronicles/a-theory-of-trump-kompromat

"Kompromat can be a single, glaring example of wrongdoing, recorded by someone close to the Kremlin and then used to control the bad actor. It can be proof of an embarrassing sex act. Darden believes it is unlikely that sexual kompromat would be effective on Trump. Allegations of sexual harassment, extramarital affairs, and the payment of hush money to hide indiscretions have failed to significantly diminish the enthusiasm of Trump’s core supporters. But another common form of kompromat—proof of financial crimes—could be more politically and personally damaging.

Trump has made a lot of money doing deals with businesspeople from the former Soviet Union, and at least some of these deals bear many of the warning signs of money laundering and other financial crimes. Deals in Toronto, Panama, New York, and Miami involved money from sources in the former Soviet Union who hid their identities through shell companies and exhibited other indications of money laundering. In the years before he became a political figure, Trump acted with impunity, conducting minimal corporate due diligence and working with people whom few other American businesspeople would consider fit partners. During that period, he may have felt protected by the fact that U.S. law-enforcement officials rarely investigate or prosecute Americans who engage in financial crimes overseas. Such cases are also maddeningly difficult to prove, and the F.B.I. has no subpoena power in other countries. If, however, someone had evidence that proved financial crimes and shared it with, say, the special counsel, Robert Mueller, other American law-enforcement officials, or the press, it could significantly damage Trump’s business, his family, and his Presidency."

>I say great move.

Trump, 1 month ago: “We have defeated ISIS in Syria.”

Today:
=============
US service members killed in ISIS attack in Syria
By Zachary Cohen
Updated 11:11 AM ET, Wed January 16, 2019

Washington (CNN) - ISIS has claimed responsibility for a deadly explosion that killed US service members in the Syrian city of Manbij on Wednesday.

US service members were killed in the attack, according to a tweet from the spokesperson for the US-led coalition Operation Inherent Resolve.

"U.S. service members were killed during an explosion while conducting a routine patrol in Syria today. We are still gathering information and will share additional details at a later time," the tweet said.

The coalition has not said how many service members were killed.
==============

Pence declares 'ISIS has been defeated' on the same day as deadly Syria attack
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/16/politics/pence-isis-defeated/index.html:S

Pence's remark to the Global Chiefs of Mission conference at the US State Department came about an hour after the US-led coalition confirmed that American troops had been killed in an explosion in Manbij.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Pence's remark to the Global Chiefs of Mission conference at the US State Department came about an hour after the US-led coalition confirmed that American troops had been killed in an explosion in Manbij.

And _after_ he'd been briefed.

Guys, I know we're all talking about this with a mood of frustration and exasperation but let's let's leave these soldiers out of the punchlines. Yes, I know I'll do the exact same thing the next time my mood changes and no I'm not trying paint some sort of Lee Greenwood mural of saintly soldiers who can't handle being part of the joke.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

Guys, I know we're all talking about this with a mood of frustration and exasperation but let's let's leave these soldiers out of the punchlines. Yes, I know I'll do the exact same thing the next time my mood changes and no I'm not trying paint some sort of Lee Greenwood mural of saintly soldiers who can't handle being part of the joke.

Its not a joke.

Trump has stated he prefers soldiers who don't get captured.
He's insulted the family of dead soldiers.

The fact that normal people would say this sort of stuff and it would be a joke (in bad taste) simply emphasizes how horrible of a CinC Trump is.

Giving Trump a pass on it over the 'sensibilities' of the very people who he:

A - Has no concern what so ever for.
B - Is putting into danger.
C - Has almost certainly betrayed through his 'relationship' with Russia

That ignores or minimizes or 'gives him a pass' on what is, to me, his most disgusting behavior.

And the list of "Trump's disgusting behaviors" is pretty long and pretty disgusting.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo