brendhanbb

Has anyone ever booked 2 or more jumps for their first time?

So I am honestly curious cuz i have a feeling when and if I end up doing my first jump I may end up enjoying it so much I will want to go again. My question is it it common to say I would like to go a second time in the same day. Do you have to typically book 2 in advance or can you just say I would like to jump a second time and just go on the spot(obviously if you have the money to go). Like have you ever booked twice knowing you wanted to go twice at least or know anyone who did that their first time.

depends on the DZ, suggest you focus on the training and first jump

if you are ready ask them about a second jump, if they have time and staff it should be fine
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I see you are in Montreal. The best DZs with the largest student training programs in Canada are on the south shore. Different DZs have different training programs and first jump methods. But it is not unusual for someone to do their first 2 jumps on the same day.

Often these days a first jump is a tandem. Some programs follow with further tandems, others with PFF or AFF jumps. Either way, some ground training will follow your first tandem, and that will take some time. It may not leave enough time in the day for your second jump.

Whatever you do, it is best to do the jumps and get the training without any long breaks between jumps. It will be easier to progress that way. Staying current is very important.

Over half of the A CoPs issued in Canada go to Quebec trained jumpers. The Montreal area is home to many highly skilled competitors and instructors.

gowlerk

I see you are in Montreal. The best DZs with the largest student training programs in Canada are on the south shore. Different DZs have different training programs and first jump methods. But it is not unusual for someone to do their first 2 jumps on the same day.

Often these days a first jump is a tandem. Some programs follow with further tandems, others with PFF or AFF jumps. Either way, some ground training will follow your first tandem, and that will take some time. It may not leave enough time in the day for your second jump.

Whatever you do, it is best to do the jumps and get the training without any long breaks between jumps. It will be easier to progress that way. Staying current is very important.

Over half of the A CoPs issued in Canada go to Quebec trained jumpers. The Montreal area is home to many highly skilled competitors and instructors.

so it sounds like i may be in an interesting spot honestly i have not looked up anything yet. mostly one reason i am hesient is my french is not that great so i am worried that may be an issue. which is why i am considering a possible altrunitive but i do have a facebook friend who i know could recomend a good place to go(even though she is french)

gowlerk

also for the record i do plan to do a tandem jump for my first time but like thing is i have this feeling i will enjoy it so much i want to do a second tandem jump lol.(like i wont be planing to go solo until i have few tandem jumps under my belt)

ninjagogo12

So is it mandatory for you guys over the pond to have to do tandem jumps before you start AFF?

Not where I jump. But we have an IAD program out of a 182. We require some of those. Many DZs don't have a static line or IAD program anymore and they will usually require a tandem first jump as part of the program. But it is not a rule over here. There are programs that start with AFF jumps, usually involving tunnel training as well. It mostly depends on what aircraft, equipment, and instructors any given DZ has available.

ninjagogo12

So is it mandatory for you guys over the pond to have to do tandem jumps before you start AFF?

I think in the US the standard is to do AFF from the start. Plenty of people here can correct me if that's wrong. (Although the USPA is now getting into tunnel before AFF rules.)

In Canada the standard is a little more conservative. Normally you do 1 jump of some other type, whether tandem, static line, or IAD, before taking the PFF (our version of AFF). That's to cut down on the people who get totally brain locked, by exposing them a perhaps less intense skydive first. (We've also long had rules on using the tunnel before PFF. Tunnel trained students can go straight to PFF.)

The one-other-jump-first rule is in effect waiverable though the CSPA, so there is the occasional DZ that goes straight to PFF for the first jump.

There is no actual CSPA Rule on what kind of jump must be a first jump. That is DZ specific, the only CSPA rule is that student parachutists must be accompanied through all phases of their skydive by a CSPA rated instructor. So technically, if a DZ had that type of program, you could do a PFF jump as your first jump.

Although, almost all DZ's require a tandem or IAD before PFF.

ILUVCHUTERS

There is no actual CSPA Rule on what kind of jump must be a first jump.

As best I know,there is a rule, but it is hidden away in the PFF Instructor manual, where section 2.3 on minimum acceptable standards states this about any student entering the PFF program:

"Student has made 1 jump (IAD, SL or TDM) or 20 minutes of wind tunnel under the supervision of a trained PFFI before undertaking the PFF jump program"

Not something one might have heard unless one actually took the PFF Instructor course. Anyway, this is getting into more detail than needed about how the Canadian system works.

As I said a waiver is possible, and there are also USPA affiliated DZ's in Canada who may use the AFF program. So things vary DZ to DZ.

Looks like most people aren't answering you knowing that you wrote you would want to do tandem and possibly do a second tandem. Most places I've been to, they offer a same day special for like half the cost or even less if you purchase after your first jump. I definitely wouldn't purchase two full price tandems in advance for that reason (and just in case you don't feel like doing again since you've never tried it). Schedule your first jump, then ask about discount pricing to go again.
*If you fail to plan, you plan to fail*
*It's not flair, it's flare*
*Please use "your" and "you're" responsibly*

I paid my 7 AFF jumps before doing any jumps, maybe I could not have liked it and lost money, but I was pretty sure I wanted to reach at least the clear to solo state and the DZ offered a free outside video for paying in full. I used it only on my 10th jump and it was one my favorite jumps ever to plan this 2 way with my previous instructor, way more fun than the AFF videos itself.

DZs in North California usually offer you a return offer deal that you must buy on the same day for $100, close to half price. At least Skydive California and Skydance do.

The amount of jumps you can do in a day depends on the dropzone, and the weather. It is common for skydivers to make many jumps in a day. Tandems may need to be pre booked. AFF depends on the length of the class instructors on hand weather and efficiency of the dropzone manifest. ASK WHEN YOU CALL.

IF YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE SKYDIVING DO AFF. Find a Dropzone that does AFF. Sign up take the class and learn to skydive. Dont give your money to any dropzone that requires a (tandem first jump) unless you just want to do a tandem.

You do not have to do a tandem first. It is a lie Dropzones tell people so they can bleed money out of customers..

Accelerated FreeFall is the way to go
Also known as AFP in some locations.

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

douwanto

IF YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE SKYDIVING DO AFF. Find a Dropzone that does AFF. Sign up take the class and learn to skydive. Dont give your money to any dropzone that requires a (tandem first jump) unless you just want to do a tandem.

You do not have to do a tandem first. It is a lie Dropzones tell people so they can bleed money out of customers..

Accelerated FreeFall is the way to go
Also known as AFP in some locations.

I gotta disagree with you there. Even if someone thought they were going to love skydiving I would advise them to do a tandem first. Or at least some wind tunnel. Maybe you might be a natural, but for most people that first jump is very disorienting. There's something to be said for enjoying the experience as a spectator once before you clutter your head with dive flows, EPs, altitude checks, canopy checks, aerial navigation, landing patterns, etc. There are valid safety reasons why some programs start with a tandem or wind tunnel, it's not a scam to get more money. Sure you can start with AFF on jump 1, or static line, but it's a personal choice, equally valid. Besides, in a sport where you'll spend ~$2500 to get licensed, probably double that for a rig, and who knows how much every year on jumps, why sweat the small stuff like ~$200 for a tandem?
Max Peck
What's the point of having top secret code names, fellas, if we ain't gonna use 'em?

I disagree, tandem is a false idea that you are able to become a solo skydiver and it is only an easy, cool recreation.

I've seen people do tandem with ease and failed to exit the plane during aff training resulting in loss of interest. Solo jumping is a totally different animal. It does not matter fi you spend 2500$ on training, 200$ is 10 altitude tickets which is a lot at the beginning.

Personally never did tandem and am not sorry.

I paid for 15 jumps before my PAC (AFF equivalent)
Yes, you must be confident with yourself B|
5 days later I was buying 10 additional jumps...
From the 7th , you can make 4 or 5 jumps a day depending the wind and your packing skills.
Here if you do an initiation jump you have to follow the theorical course of the AFF the first day: IMO, too much energy & time spent for only one (or two) jump - Just do your AFF!