Johnkelley

360 Video for Watching Deployments Recommendation

I realize this may be a better question for "video/photography", but my question is specifically for WS and watching deployments.

My GoPro took a shit a couple months ago and I was looking into the possibility of 360 degree video. I personally hate how 360 video looks when posted to social media because it looks like shit, but for training purposes it could be helpful. It would be nice to have video of the entire jump with a typical forward facing GoPro, but also have the added video of my deployment to see if I was symmetrical, and how the canopy came off my back.

Everything I'm seeing requires the camera to be attached to an insane unicorn mount which is about as big of a snag hazard as it gets. Also, 9/10 videos are with the GoPro Fusion, which is $500 (yikes).

Has anyone used 360 video regularly for WS for this purpose? What did you do to mount the camera? Any suggestions for camera? Is it worth it long term?

the fusion doesn't need to be on a unicorn mount. I've seen people use them on their helmet like a regular go pro. The unicorn mount just gets your face in the shot.

If you want deployment recordings have a friend or coach film you from the side. You see a lot more that way with body position, line stretch, etc. I learned a lot more that way because you see what you do versus just the lines coming off the back.

Johnkelley

I realize this may be a better question for "video/photography", but my question is specifically for WS and watching deployments.

My GoPro took a shit a couple months ago and I was looking into the possibility of 360 degree video. I personally hate how 360 video looks when posted to social media because it looks like shit, but for training purposes it could be helpful. It would be nice to have video of the entire jump with a typical forward facing GoPro, but also have the added video of my deployment to see if I was symmetrical, and how the canopy came off my back.

Everything I'm seeing requires the camera to be attached to an insane unicorn mount which is about as big of a snag hazard as it gets. Also, 9/10 videos are with the GoPro Fusion, which is $500 (yikes).

Has anyone used 360 video regularly for WS for this purpose? What did you do to mount the camera? Any suggestions for camera? Is it worth it long term?

I have a fusion. you can mount it directly to your helmet and it works great. Also if you send in that broke gopro or are a student you can get 100$ off.

mrmatson

I don't own one but the Rylo looks interesting. Been tempted to get one and try it out. If anyone has experience with this camera I'd be interested in hearing opinions on it.

https://www.rylo.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAo8jgBRAVEiwAJUXKqFD73nDvx1joxUVQQO8Plzt7eCEm3aFY9AHwwejlwfqV6r6UGKAvPRoCYoEQAvD_BwE

On my last trip to the bridge, Miles D and another guy were using Rylos and they seemed to be easy to use and the footage was good. Also the Insta360 camera is quite user friendly and takes good video as well.

skydave89

Also the Insta360 camera is quite user friendly and takes good video as well.

Its half the price, and shoots higher resolution, and HDR, and much nicer format/size for wingsuit flying. I know the brandname makes a lot of people pick the Fusion, but on the Insta OneX you can actually watch a file without needing to stitch first, and upload videos/photos in 3 minutes vs 1 hr stitching.

Insta OneX is well worth the money...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?
  • Like 1

mccordia

***Also the Insta360 camera is quite user friendly and takes good video as well.

Its half the price, and shoots higher resolution, and HDR, and much nicer format/size for wingsuit flying. I know the brandname makes a lot of people pick the Fusion, but on the Insta OneX you can actually watch a file without needing to stitch first, and upload videos/photos in 3 minutes vs 1 hr stitching.

Insta OneX is well worth the money...

This isn't totally accurate. The gopro produces better video. Also you can watch the video from the fusion on the computer or phone without stitching.

The gopro produces better video.

Most serious online reviews there dont agree with you there.
Also resolution wise, OneX is a step up.

Fusion - 5228 x 2624
One X - 5760 x 2880

Size wise you can fit 2x OneX in a fusion.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

What mount do you use? Their "sky bundle" borders on criminally negligible; it's full of extension poles, long thumb screws, and they actually peddle a selfie stick with it (complete with a video of someone using it under canopy)!
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."