1 1
Dua

How to Flare

Depends on the suit. For a small suit, not really. Small suits are going to be hard if not impossible to gain altitude in during a flare. Some mid sized suits can do it, but only if you do it right. Putting the suit into a steep dive and then slamming it into a high AoA configuration super quick is not a flare. That will just have you plowing through disconnected air, slowing you down quick. But I am not the most experienced in the topic and so there are others that can comment better. Squirrel has some good resources on the matter on their website.

Beginner wingsuits do not have the surface area to flare. You need to get into the Squirrel ATC (and equivalents) range to start to get one. Flares are fun but it's not something you focus on early. Learn to fly relative to others while adding in some speed and taking the wingsuit steep. Once you get larger suits then work with a flysight or dekunu to analyze jumps and what works or doesn't work. Patience :)

Next Level/Squirrel video on flaring:
https://vimeo.com/257719767

Dua

Thank you very much. I assume that flaring before deploy main canopy can reduce the risk from linetwist. My understanding is right or not ?

Flying straight throughout deployment....up to the point that you can no longer fly has a LOT to do with a clean deployment.

Flaring is a fun challenge. If you have a Flysight and can monitor your vertical speed, you can quickly learn how close you are getting to zero vertical and if you gain some altitude, how far you are going up. In a medium sized suit, a person can get to less then 10 MPH vertical for a few seconds.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Lots of speed in a big suit + a head high angle of attack = flare. Pretty simple, really. The fine tuning comes from how you build up speed prior to the flare, how smoothly you transition from dive to flare, and your ability to maintain a flat and solid wing throughout the climb.

It’s easy to try to initiate the flare too quickly and you just plow air. Or once you begin the flare your body breaks into an arch shape. Take your max flight, fastest you can go position and then try to hold that same position with a head high attitude and you should be climbing.

I did menage to gain alltitude in a Swift 3, only like 10-15 ft but I only hade few jumps on it, never could do that in Swift 2 though, I guess Swift 3 has airlocks helping keeping the suit pressurised when you flare? It was super fun though, I got the same feelings in the flare as with ATC or Freak, just obviously not as much alltitude gain.

Lukasz_Se

I did menage to gain alltitude in a Swift 3, only like 10-15 ft but I only hade few jumps on it,

I would like to see the Flysight data on that. I know a few professional wingsuiters who admitted to me they couldent even gain altitude in an S3. Just because it feels like you're going up does not necessarily mean you are. You need to confirm with a GPS.

Nothing to see, you guys were right. Elevation on flysight data goes up by few feet but what I did not check was all the other data, first of all the alltitude gain takes like half a second, second my vertical velocity is around 20-40 miles/h at top of the "flare". I jumped with a borrowed flysight and got excited when I looked at the graph quickly :P