Xean75

[Icon I4] small main canopy ?

Hi guys

I bought few years ago an Icon I4 ( 210 Ultra LPV main - 140 ZP main ) and I would like to know if someone had tried to put a smaller canopy Inside ? ( for exemple 132 or 124 ? )

I know that normally I have to change my harness but if I can use it for somes months , it would be good ;)

Thanks again for your reply

Xean

Hello
Thanks for your reply
But i think your information is wrong because currently I have a main 168 and 175 reserve.
If i followed your excel , i couldnt have put the 168 main et 175 reserve

Do you know some people with Icon I4 and a smaller canopy ?
Thanks

Xean

That is going to be pretty soft in there.

The closing loop location on the icons can allow you to mis-size some, hell I had a 114 in a I5, but in hindsight it probably wasn't a great idea and I only took it on hop and pops and I tried to be a ninja with every movement in the plane.

You could have a rigger make you up a pillow to take up some of the space in the main container.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Xean75

Hello
Thanks for your reply
But i think your information is wrong because currently I have a main 168 and 175 reserve.
If i followed your excel , i couldnt have put the 168 main et 175 reserve

Do you know some people with Icon I4 and a smaller canopy ?
Thanks

Xean

The reserve was likely low pack volume which can fit a size or two smaller and the main was likely overstuffed. Asking your rigger or messaging the manufacturer is the best course of action if you don’t want to rely on their sizing chart.

I don’t like the idea but to each their own. In my opinion it’s not just the container size that needs to change. The deployment bag, pc size, maybe even how you fold the canopy to fit in a wider bag with a pillow? Will you have proper tension on the line stows or will your PC which now might be too large strip the bag before line stretch. These are just things that a 200+ wonder (me) is thinking about and there’s likely other variables that riggers would think of before I would.

As far as the chart: the manufacturer says a 132 will fit but it’ll be loose/soft. If they didn’t want a 132 in that container they wouldn’t list that as a possibility at all. Still it’ll be a good idea to talk to a rigger (I prefer face to face) about fitting canopies in your rig

always worthwhile going to the manufacturers website for clarity when considering the answers to such questions rather than just following a link on a gear store (good that they have something though)

It would help the OP to check the model of their rig and to confirm against the info in the appropriate manual.

Nexgen IX-I4 Reserve 330in3. min - 360in3. max Main 380in3. min - 415in3. max

https://www.flyaerodyne.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/IconManual052017_online.pdf

Pre - Nexgen I4 Reserve 333in3. min-346in3. max Main 368in3. min-393in3. max

https://www.flyaerodyne.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Icon-Manual-Pre-neXgen.pdf
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Yes I would have dug further if it was for me. I spent ten seconds on google and linked the first reasonable looking sizing chart. Part of the reason I was pushing him to contact the manufacturer or a rigger. With the way his follow up questions are worded though it seems he’s trying to lead someone to his idea of using a pillow instead of getting the right container. It could just be that I’m tired though (i work nights) and I’m reading too much into it.

EDIT: it appears I am tired. Pillow was brought up by someone else

I own two Icons, an i5 (2014) and an i3 (2015). I enjoy them both.

I've found Icons, at least in the Pacific Northwest and desert areas, are ambitious to what they say can fit. For instance, my Icon i3 can barely fit a 135 from IPT, where it's supposed to hold a 140. In more humid conditions, a 140 might be easier.

In my i3, I've normally got a Crossfire 3 109 in there, and it's a good solid fit. It's supposed to bottom out at 120, but I think I could fit slightly smaller than a 109. I had a ZPX Pilot 117 in there as well, and my next canopy will probably be a Pilot 111 ZP. Currently it has a Pilot 132 ZP for big ways, and it's a rather firm fit. Not too difficult, but the closing loop is pretty long and the loop is still quite tight.

My i5 currently has a pilot 150 in there, and I've had a Crossfire 2 129 (I wouldn't recommend a 129, but a 150 is pretty solid). Crossfires tend to pack a little bit bigger (not a full size, maybe not even a half size, but they have more material I believe from the way they're constructed compared to a traditional nose).

When I got my i3, I had a SmartLPV 150 put in. A master rigger with over 10,000 reserve packjobs had a hard time getting it in there. I swapped it out with a Optimum 143 and it's a much better fit (I think the Optimum material packs smaller than the SmartLPV material). I pack it now as a relatively new rigger and find it works great. I've got an Optimum 160 in my i5, and it's a medium-tight fit. I don't know that I would try an Optimum 176.

shadeland

I own two Icons, an i5 (2014) and an i3 (2015). I enjoy them both.

I've found Icons, at least in the Pacific Northwest and desert areas, are ambitious to what they say can fit. For instance, my Icon i3 can barely fit a 135 from IPT, where it's supposed to hold a 140. In more humid conditions, a 140 might be easier.

In my i3, I've normally got a Crossfire 3 109 in there, and it's a good solid fit. It's supposed to bottom out at 120, but I think I could fit slightly smaller than a 109. I had a ZPX Pilot 117 in there as well, and my next canopy will probably be a Pilot 111 ZP. Currently it has a Pilot 132 ZP for big ways, and it's a rather firm fit. Not too difficult, but the closing loop is pretty long and the loop is still quite tight.

My i5 currently has a pilot 150 in there, and I've had a Crossfire 2 129 (I wouldn't recommend a 129, but a 150 is pretty solid). Crossfires tend to pack a little bit bigger (not a full size, maybe not even a half size, but they have more material I believe from the way they're constructed compared to a traditional nose).

When I got my i3, I had a SmartLPV 150 put in. A master rigger with over 10,000 reserve packjobs had a hard time getting it in there. I swapped it out with a Optimum 143 and it's a much better fit (I think the Optimum material packs smaller than the SmartLPV material). I pack it now as a relatively new rigger and find it works great. I've got an Optimum 160 in my i5, and it's a medium-tight fit. I don't know that I would try an Optimum 176.

I assume your I5 and I3 are pre-next gen? The older models are basically a size smaller compared to a next-gen Icon. So stuffing a 150 LPV into an older I3 would be well outside what the container is designed to hold.

shadeland

No, they're both NexGen.

And I've seen their pre-Nexgen charts, they make more sense from what I've seen with both my NexGens.

hmmm, according to their site they seem to imply the NexGen did not come out until May 2017. They have two manuals differentiating between the two. The first says "Icon Manual May 2017 (neXgen)"

https://www.flyaerodyne.com/support/

Anyway, I have an I5 Nex Gen (2018) and I have a 175 Smart LPV in there. It fits well and the rigger said that there would be room to go up one size if I wanted, which is what the manual also says.

You said your Optimum 160 was a medium-tight fit and implied a 176 would be too large. Well my 175 Smart LPV fits fine in my I5. It's not overstuffed at all. A 160 LPV would probably be a bit lose.

Westerly

***No, they're both NexGen.

And I've seen their pre-Nexgen charts, they make more sense from what I've seen with both my NexGens.

hmmm, according to their site they seem to imply the NexGen did not come out until May 2017. They have two manuals differentiating between the two. The first says "Icon Manual May 2017 (neXgen)"

https://www.flyaerodyne.com/support/

Anyway, I have an I5 Nex Gen (2018) and I have a 175 Smart LPV in there. It fits well and the rigger said that there would be room to go up one size if I wanted, which is what the manual also says.

You said your Optimum 160 was a medium-tight fit and implied a 176 would be too large. Well my 175 Smart LPV fits fine in my I5. It's not overstuffed at all. A 160 LPV would probably be a bit lose.

2017 was when the NexGen manual was updated. As pchappman pointed out, they came out in 2013.

They did start with their A and V recently, but as far as I know they're just updates of the Nexgen model and aren't considered a different rig.

I wonder if my i5 is built more like i4s. It seems everything fits that way.

At Perris they have several i3s for the load organizers, and they all have LPV 135s in them. Optimum 143s fit better I think.