yobnoc

PS Vortex delivery time?

I ordered a Vortex complete system (the deal that everyone seems to be talking about right now) on 11/28 and they guaranteed a delivery date of 2/5. Has anyone else ordered this system and if so, what was your experience with the delivery time; did it come early?

Also, bonus points if you tell me what you think of the Vortex/Volt setup; I really want to hear from people who have flown them before.

Bought it as my first rig now selling it. Gonna buy another Vortex with another Volt.

Love it in the sky, comfortable. I got the container earlier than expected, the canopy came around the date it was supposed to. You really have nothing to worry about, Vortex is a top notch container. They upped their game in last few years and are really reliable.

The canopy is a fun thing, very responsive on toggles but it is less steep than a Sabre 2 but more than a Pilot. It plains out quick after a front riser input. The flare is strong, no problem with downwinders or no winders. It is immposible to stall the canopy aswell. The deployments are not bad, but can give you an occasional spank or twist. But nowhere near as bad as a Sabre 2. It also does not dive in a linetwist (loaded at 1.3).

Ordered a Volt earlier this year and it came in earlier than promised. Flies a lot like the Sabre 2 in my other rig, except a little more responsive. The quality is as good as the Sabre 2, and considering the price difference between it and a Sabre 2, would buy another Volt before a Sabre 2.

When you say "around" the same time, that's what worries me. This is my first rig, and it's supposed to arrive (disassembled, as you know) 3 days before I leave for Arecibo, PR for a week of (hopefully) skydiving. I hear great things about the company, but I don't know what comes with their "guarantee" of it being on time.

I am, however, super excited to fly it! The only canopies I've flown are student rigs (Nav 260, 240, 220, 200), and a Safire 219 on one occasion. So I don't have the experience to compare it to much else.

I ordered my Vortex last year about the exact time as you and it was delivered on time in Feb but not early. I haven't jumped a Volt canopy but I have seen many of them and get good reviews from friends.

The Vortex is excellent and built as well as any rig I have seen. You should expect no problems at all. I am very glad I bought mine. But my situation is very different than yours. I am older and have a good deal of experience. I don't expect to be changing canopies any time soon. I am 62 and probably won't buy another rig in my life, so re-sale is not an issue for me.

The only negative thing I can say about Parachute Systems gear is that the resale values are very low. That being said, you are a very new jumper according to your profile. So you will undoubtedly be downsizing at some point in the near future and the re-sale value will probably be low.

Don't let that be a downer though. Just a heads up for the future. Jump it and enjoy it. You will be safe and happy with the gear.

Thank you for the input. I looked around for used gear for some time, but being 6'4, 215 and a somewhat weird body shape, I couldn't find anything that would definitely fit me. I found one used rig out of Sweden, but ultimately could not afford it. I decided to take advantage of the deal for a new complete rig because it would be guaranteed to fit and it was cheaper than the used option i just mentioned by almost 1k. I'm not worried about resale value at this point. I should be able to downsize twice with this rig, and I expect I'll be holding onto it for some few years.

yobnoc

When you say "around" the same time, that's what worries me. This is my first rig, and it's supposed to arrive (disassembled, as you know) 3 days before I leave for Arecibo, PR for a week of (hopefully) skydiving. I hear great things about the company, but I don't know what comes with their "guarantee" of it being on time.

I am, however, super excited to fly it! The only canopies I've flown are student rigs (Nav 260, 240, 220, 200), and a Safire 219 on one occasion. So I don't have the experience to compare it to much else.

Better have contengency plan. I wouldn't expect any delivery from a manufacturer to be precise to the day. And one snow storm can delay shipping by that much. If you have it AND you rigger can get it put together your damn lucky.

Also the PIA symposium, I think the USPA board meeting are the first week in Feb. Randy and his wife who's name I don't remember will be gone. Cliff's likely in Florida or PIA. And other riggers may likely be gone. There very well may be nobody to put it together even if it shows up on the first. Cutting it way to close. Check NOW if your rigger or any rigger will be in town.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I'm glad you made this post, I am thinking about capitalizing on the Christmas deal PS is having for the complete jump ready bundle (AAD sold separately) for $4050. Vortex rig, Volt main, PS decelerator reserve. This would be my first Rig.

At a price point like that for a new complete rig I was definitely asking questions as most people I know jump Javelins, Vector, Glide, etc. that are a lot pricier. I've not been able to find too many reviews on the vortex/volt/decelerator set up. Seems it is a little bit less well known.

All of my student jumps have been on a Sabre 2 with Javelin/ Vector and I've downsized once in 44 jumps (WL 1.13). I'd like to hear from people that have this rig or have experience with it as to how it performs, safety record, etc.

Really want to pull the trigger on the rig but dont want to jump the gun and get something that I wont be happy with.

The NEO will be on display at PIA in Feb and will launch some time in 2019, I have been jumping the last two itterations of the prototypes over several months and I must say it's super comfy just like my other Vortex rigs but a lot slimmer and sligthly more elogated. As soon as they go into production I'm getting a custom one.
Fly Your Soul, Free Your Mind!