JerryBaumchen

Escargot

Hi folks,

This time of year we seem to be eating more than normal.

Therefore, just curious about how many have eaten escargot; and, if you have, would you eat it again?

I've had it a number of times & quite like it.

We had a very good French restaurant here that closed a few years ago. Recently, a new French restaurant has opened that serves it; so I'll have to go over there & try theirs.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) And I recently I watched a PBS program on a company on Long Island, NY that is commercially raising them for restaurants. Apparently, the only company in the USA that is doing so.

I've had and would have escargot; I've even cooked octopus (not fried, though). About the only thing I really avoid is tripe. Although I haven't had any sort of bug food I liked yet.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Strangely enough, the first time I had escargot was in Pohang, Korea for a military exercise. The hotel restaurant had it and I was hooked. Love the stuff. Being stationed and visiting various places in the Far East, I have eaten a number of things, good and bad, that were a bit off the usual palette.

When I was about 12 I decided to try frogs legs.
My two younger brothers, aided by two big cousins staying a couple of weeks with us, spent the whole meal making ribbit noises, talking about the poor froggies, and generally trying to make me miserable about my choice (note that one brother had been appalled once when my mother served rabbit — “You killed a baby bunny???”).
It worked. I cried, and got maybe one bite down :ph34r:. But I’ve had them since.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

ryoder

I tried it once;
Never again;
It was like chewing on a mouthful of rubber bands.>:(

That was my experience, as well.

Horrible texture coupled with the fact that I grew up in So. Cal., where they are garden pests, make them very unattractive.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

***I tried it once;
Never again;

Horrible texture coupled with the fact that I grew up in So. Cal., where they are garden pests, make them very unattractive.

I grew up with my very old school Florida pioneers family... Floridas version of Swamp People... I have ZERO food aversions.

Addendum

Someone mentioned calamari.... Jerry there is a little restaurant on 52nd and Sandy... Zien Hong... their pepper salted squid is to die for... and they have a VERY diverse menu Vietnamese seafood menu.... Never had anything there that was not just seriously great food....

oldwomanc6

***I tried it once;
Never again;

Don’t see them as pests, more as readily available free protein. ;)

Starve them for a few days and then give the lettuce until you’re ready to cook them. If you’re gentle with the cooking and can make garlic butter they’re as good as any in a restaurant but much, much cheaper.

yoink

******I tried it once;
Never again;

Don’t see them as pests, more as readily available free protein. ;)

Starve them for a few days and then give the lettuce until you’re ready to cook them. If you’re gentle with the cooking and can make garlic butter they’re as good as any in a restaurant but much, much cheaper.

I guess I didn't make it clear enough; the ones I had were in a restaurant, not plucked from the back yard.

I get the concept, but they are just yuck!

There are some things that are just viscerally revolting; snails are one of such a thing. Oysters, and the smell of coconut are two others for me.

There is nothing you can do to change this. Maybe there is a gene that determines this like there is for those who think cilantro tastes like soap? :ph34r:
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

There are some things that are just viscerally revolting; snails are one of such a thing. Oysters, and the smell of coconut are two others for me.

Coconut?
In my teenage years I learned to associate that smell with bikini-clad babes lying on towels at the beach.
I love the smell of girls roasting in the sun!:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Coconut?
In my teenage years I learned to associate that smell with bikini-clad babes lying on towels at the beach.
I love the smell of girls roasting in the sun!:)
:D

I don't mind the taste or the texture one bit, but the smell. Aaaaacccccckkkkkkkkkk!

But then again, I didn't spend my formative years gawking at girls on the beach. :P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I’m fine with snails as long as they’re cooked properly. my one thing is artificial watermelon candy or gum .don’t get me wrong I love a nice ice cold watermelon with the sprinkler of salt but the synthetic watermelon flavor is just disgusting to me
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

I’m fine with snails as long as they’re cooked properly. my one thing is artificial watermelon candy or gum .don’t get me wrong I love a nice ice cold watermelon with the sprinkler of salt but the synthetic watermelon flavor is just disgusting to me

Maybe it is a genetic thing, because I don't like real watermelon, but I like JollyRanchers watermelon candy. I'm not trying to be contrary, but this is true. :D. My kids give me no end of grief for this. Mr.owc6 knows better than to do so. :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

wmw999

(note that one brother had been appalled once when my mother served rabbit — “You killed a baby bunny???”).

Wendy P.

How does your brother feel about bambi burgers. :)
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?