Yung_Seezy

Questions about tunnels

A buddy and I were talking about possibly going to the tunnel sometime over the winter and i had a few questions. Do you just reserve say 30minutes or an hour and show up and do it all at once or can you buy a certain amount of time and use it on multiple visits? Also even though were licensed skydivers that can already fly belly are they going to act like we are completely clueless at first?

You can split up your time in as many blocks as you want. It's common to do 1, 1.5 or 2 min at a time, then stop to debrief. You only pay for the time you're in the tunnel using it at most places.

If you're just planning on belly flying, the tunnel staff will probably let you do as you want. They might watch you for the first min and possibly be in the tunnel until you can prove you know what you're doing, but after that you should be fine.

I would check with the tunnel you plan on using.

My (limited) experience is that block time needs to be done in 15 minute increments. You need to reserve that time ahead of time. You can't 'just show up' and expect to get in. It may happen, but don't bet on it.

You will need a coach at least at first. The tunnel will likely require it until you show that you can do it safely.

Despite being skydivers, you will be 'completely clueless' at first.
It's a very different environment.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I want to say about $1000 (USD) per hour. Plus coach cost. Those vary a great deal.

I could certainly be wrong on this.

The times I've gone, I went in with another jumper. We got the block time discounted at SDC Summerfest. Maybe $850/hour.
We took a couple other people with us (both jumpers and non) to split the cost.
The coaches have been willing to work with experienced jumpers and 'fly' new guys.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

As someone who started tunnel flying not that long ago (though I am not a skydiver), I can say that you need to take into account your physical strength too. When I started my first 10 mins would knacker me so much, that I'd be aching few days after. Now I can easy do 30-45 mins in a day without much impact.

I prefer to do 2,5 mins sessions, then break 2,5 mins and so on. I found 2 mins just not enough and session feels rushed, strange how much extra 30 seconds can add to your session. I also did big breaks between sessions (a month or so) and I did hour after hour every day. I found pluses and minuses in both approaches.

Enjoy the tunnel!

Just FYI the rates have gone WAY down, thanks mostly to the supply of tunnels increasing exponentially over the last few years. For I-fly they go as low as $600 per hour and top out at $750 depending on location.
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

Sletzer

Just FYI the rates have gone WAY down, thanks mostly to the supply of tunnels increasing exponentially over the last few years. For I-fly they go as low as $600 per hour and top out at $750 depending on location.

They top out well over $750. One location had an old tunnel a few years ago and even with overnight specials every couple months it was about $600. Then they built a new tunnel and now it's $750 on the low end/special deals but is usually $900 or more.
Max Peck
What's the point of having top secret code names, fellas, if we ain't gonna use 'em?

The corporate iFly tunnels all had a pretty significant price restructuring just a few months ago. The prices vary by location, but the most expensive now run somewhere around $750/hr if you are buying time in 30 minute or larger increments, while the cheapest are at about $600/hr now. Buying less than 30 minute blocks is a bit more expensive and the premium increases as the amount of time decreases.

Not sure if you guys know, but Europe are having a war between tunnel prices... the two best options this days are
FlyStation - St. Petersburg.. they are offering a package of 11 hours with accommodation on site per Eu$2700 (U$3073) or U$279 per hour... more info on https://www.facebook.com/FlyStationRU/ or [email protected].

and also FlySpot - Poland have few different packages which includes accommodation and 3 meals and they give back some money for the flights...
https://sklep.flyspot.com/…/bundle-all-inclusive-reborn-pa…/

both tunnels have super good quality air... the Australian Crew are going over flying on this tunnels in Europe that are cheaper and better tunnels..

Yung_Seezy

Appreciate the input! What is the average cost for 30 minutes or an hour at an iFly? I emailed them and havnt gotten a response.

Lot of that going on with that company lately. Same with the opening dates in the Western Provinces. Can someone say money issues? Actually they refuse to say. For anyone who has experienced them, it's their show. Of course their marketing materials indicate they are opening soon, opening soon, opening soon,...

but every now and then someone posts a picture of the empty lot or "Construction Progress." Generally as soon as someone posts a picture of construction, it mysteriously gets removed. Of course censorship here on this site is the norm.

On another note, if you haven't been in a windy tunnel perhaps I might re-think that desire to spend an half hour at one time. For many that might be a bit of a work out and as compared with learning you might be overtired to take full advantage of the time. IMO build up slowly.

(Dolf is spot on about that and worth repeating.)

But if your having fun then go for it.

If you go in a group with others a common action plan is that every one rotates for a few minutes each, that way you get a quick break to recover. You'll be in the tunnel for 30 or some set minutes, but the time you pay for will be the time your actually using it.

Have fun.
Brett Bickford Did Not Commit Suicide.

He is the victim of ignorance and faulty gear. AND as in the movie: "12 Angry Men," of an ignorant and callous jury.

Hey, I think currently Russia and Slovenia Hurricane Factory are most competitive. Slovenia offers a lot of additional services as bonus, water attractios, SPA and ect.
I finally decided to go to Freezone, Skyventure tunnel in Moscow. The main issue was that the package included transfer and accommodation with meal 3 times a day and it costed me 2700 euro for 10 hours in 12 ft tunnel. I had an opportunity to choose 17ft for 3200 euro, all included, but I will try it next visit. The atmosphere is friendly, Maxim is quite experienced coach.

Depending on where you are located and how much in advance you get your flight tickets, travelling to Moscow can be more expensive than Slovakia, plus you need a visa. But I agree even then 2700 EUR sounds so cheap that extra cost can be easily justified. Tell us how it went, and maybe next time I’ll try it too:)

I don’t know about arrangements in Russia, but in Slovakia I fly during the day, any time I choose. You can get at the moment 1 hour for 399 EUROs if you buy over 5 hours, and of you buy 10 hours, you’ll get 1 hour for free on top. So less competitive than Russia, but still way cheaper for 14ft tunnel than anywhere else in Europe at the moment for that tunnel size.

As for night flying, I personally would never go for it. I love my sleep, and I get so tired past 12 if I have to stay up for some reason. Then trying to learn new skills and perform well in the tunnel when I am exhausted, thanks, but no thanks. So I hope it isn’t a night flying, as 1 hour per day is quite a straine on your body as it is, let alone adding night flying....:)

I did fly in Freezone Moscow in day time, may be something can change. A friend of mine book day flights in March in 17 ft tunnel for 3200 euro. And as I understand you can also make 5 hours for 1600 euro in 17 ft under the same program all included (transfer,meal and accommodations).
Regarding the cheap prices the only idea I have is the price of electricity which is extremely cheap in Russia, consequently their self costs lower than in Europe and ect.

alex1159

I did fly in Freezone Moscow in day time, may be something can change. A friend of mine book day flights in March in 17 ft tunnel for 3200 euro. And as I understand you can also make 5 hours for 1600 euro in 17 ft under the same program all included (transfer,meal and accommodations).
Regarding the cheap prices the only idea I have is the price of electricity which is extremely cheap in Russia, consequently their self costs lower than in Europe and ect.

Thanks alex1159 for the info. Do you know if there is a time limit on the hours you buy? So if I'll buy 10 hours, can I use it within 2 months or I have to use it within 2 weeks (i.e. 1 hour of flying per day?)

Yes, I have heard that electricity prices are cheap in Russia, plus the general cost (salaries, accommodation, food) is cheaper too.

Dolphinka, I will try to answer your question in more details. Freezone is sport oriented tunnel, because I think they have 2 wind tunnels in 1 place and to load them with first time flyers is not so easy as it was only one. Hence they are quite negotiable, for instance: they did book time after received air tickets, no need for prepayment, I paid on the place. Regarding split your visits I think it will not be problem, I didnt use this opportunity, but sounds like this can be attained. You can contact them: [email protected]
For your info there are several advantages and disadvantages of Freezone.
Disadvantages are: to get to closest metro station takes 20 min drive, and to get to historical city center 45-50 min car or bus+metro
Construction work take place near wind tunnel and it was disturbing at night time, big artificial wave is constructing close to wind tunnel two buildings planned to be connected in one complex.
From advantages: very quite and peaceful place not taking in consideration construction works, which should be finished soon.
The hotel for 40-50 different level rooms, in the forest zone 100 meters from tunnels, the stay in which included in price. Restaurant with quite good food.
As I heard in summer time people also visit DZ, which is quite close to Freezone.

bambambambam

But these super cheap deals are mostly if you fly in the middle of the night, right? I am not sure that flying jetlagged like a badger will be so nice.

It's from 0:00 till 9:00 in FlyStation but there is a possibility to fly at such price (2700eur for 10+1hr and 1350eur for 5hr +15 min) even in a peak time if there is an empty time slot in the bookings at the day of flight)
FYI day time here is 3100eur for 10+1)
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

dolphinka

Thanks NWPoul, good to know! How busy does it get there during the day? Do you usually have empty slots or it is pretty booked up?

It's quite variable (for example if there is a camp - almost no free time slots)
So it's make a sense to check exact dates\month if yo want to make a plans
You can write me PM if you are making such a plans so I give you more specific advises for your situation needs
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?