Phil1111

American missionary killed, Hero, Evolution at work?

American missionary killed by remote tribe leaves behind diary: 'I hope this isn't one of my last notes'
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/11/23/american-missionary-killed-remote-indian-tribe-diary/2090325002/

An American missionary who traveled to an off-limits remote tribe in the Bay of Bengal left behind a diary that detailed his desire to evangelize the people who killed him.

John Allen Chau, 26, was killed by arrows, police said this week, after traveling to the Andaman Islands in North Sentinel, an Indian territory. In a diary shared with The Washington Post by Chau's mother, the adventurer from Washington state tells of how he "hollered" at the isolated tribe: "My name is John, I love you and Jesus loves you." The entry also shares how a child shot at him with an arrow that pierced his waterproof Bible.

Indian government regulations forbid interaction with the Sentinelese, who are known to shoot arrows at outsiders. P.C. Joshi, an anthropology professor at Delhi University who has studied the islands, said the isolated tribe has little resistance to diseases and could die from contact with outsiders.

“You guys might think I’m crazy in all this, but I think it’s worthwhile to declare Jesus to these people,” he wrote in his last note to family, the Post reports. "God, I don’t want to die."

“Why does this beautiful place have to have so much death here?” he wrote in a diary hours before his death. “I hope this isn’t one of my last notes but if it is ‘to God be the Glory.’ "

He was told to not go there. It is against the law.

He was warned that the tribe isn't really welcoming to outsiders. He had first hand experience in that.

Yet he chose to go on.

He 'hollered' at them. Not usually a friendly sort of gesture.

In English. Did he expect them to understand?

The outcome isn't surprising. It also isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened.

I'm partly reminded of the guy who went to Alaska to live with bears and ended up getting eaten.
I'm also reminded of the guy who, when facing an armed robber, declared "Jesus will not let that gun fire", and was shot and killed (Cleveland maybe?).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

He was told to not go there. It is against the law.

He was warned that the tribe isn't really welcoming to outsiders. He had first hand experience in that.

Yet he chose to go on.

He 'hollered' at them. Not usually a friendly sort of gesture.

In English. Did he expect them to understand?

And if he had successfully made contact with them, there's a non-negligable chance that he'd have wiped out the majority of the population.

Unfortunately, that is quite literally weapons-grade ignorance[:/]
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Why would he risk his life on the chance of sharing the gospel with those people? To borrow a phrase most of us are familiar with:
For those who believe, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not, no explanation is possible.
Max Peck
What's the point of having top secret code names, fellas, if we ain't gonna use 'em?

AtrusBatleth

Why would he risk his life their lives on the chance of sharing the gospel with those people? To borrow a phrase most of us are familiar with.

That's the more important question, IMO.

jakee

***Why would he risk his life their lives on the chance of sharing the gospel with those people? To borrow a phrase most of us are familiar with.

Well, risking their lives to save their souls is a fair trade. To the missionary.

To the rest of the world, not so much.

That's why there are laws against outsiders coming into contact with them.
Of course, he blatantly disregarded those laws.

Fortunately, it only cost his life. Not the lives of the entire tribe.

Funny (ironic funny, not ha-ha funny), I posted a link to an article in the "Thanksgiving" thread about how the Pilgrims found natives willing to make an alliance with them, mainly due to the coastal natives being largely destroyed by illness. Brought in by the European invaders.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

jakee

***Why would he risk his life their lives on the chance of sharing the gospel with those people? To borrow a phrase most of us are familiar with.

Fair enough. I was only responding to the whole "weak and stupid need to be culled" mindset, which is directed at the missionary risking his life, nothing to say about whether he would have risked the tribes.
Max Peck
What's the point of having top secret code names, fellas, if we ain't gonna use 'em?

I was only responding to the whole "weak and stupid need to be culled" mindset,

Another triumph of the strong law of evolution over the weak excuse of faith. Most people of faith are not also stupid, or risk people's lives stupidly. This is about on a moral par with a suicide bomber with a religious motive. Both are willing to kill others to advance their beliefs. Both are evil. This asshole deserved his fate.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

January 8, 1956:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSd2e_ykFsY

Mincaye was one of the attacking Auca. He killed two of the missionaries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mincaye

Mincaye became an evangelist.

I performed in several airshows with Robert Griffith of jaars and he told me of his meetings with Mincaye and how he was saved by Jesus Christ through the Holy Spirit.

https://www.jaars.org/
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

January 8, 1956:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSd2e_ykFsY

Mincaye was one of the attacking Auca. He killed two of the missionaries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mincaye

Mincaye became an evangelist.

I performed in several airshows with Robert Griffith of jaars and he told me of his meetings with Mincaye and how he was saved by Jesus Christ through the Holy Spirit.

https://www.jaars.org/

So is that yes on hero? Did you forget to vote?

tkhayes

sadly, it often takes religion to be this stupid

I'm not entirely sure I'd call it 'stupid'.

Apparently he had traveled all over the world. You don't survive that if you're that stupid.

I'd probably lean more towards "blind".

As in:

His faith blinded him to the reality of the dangers to the tribe of his going there.
I would think that religion is supposed to teach people to be kind. Deliberately violating the laws and potentially exposing the tribe to infectious diseases that would wipe them out doesn't fit that.

It also blinded him to the dangers to him of going there. He had already been shot at. This group had a well earned reputation of being hostile towards outsiders. His first approach included 'hollering' at them. Not generally considered a 'friendly' gesture.

It is a pretty close parallel to the 'flood' joke in the 'religious jokes' thread.

Change the punchline to:

"God, why did you let those natives kill me? Why didn't you protect me?"

"Well, the law told you not to go. Their reputation told you not to go. The kid shooting an arrow at you and piercing your Bible told you not to go. What more messages did you want?"

Same situation. Blindly believing "God will protect me" and going into very dangerous situations.
Wasn't the first time, won't be the last.

Fortunately, it only cost his life. Not the lives of the entire tribe

....we don't know that yet - it was only a few days ago. He may well have infected them with something.
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

>As do all those with the mindset and desire to take other's lives . . .

I don't think he had "a desire to take other's lives."

Teaching what he believed in? No problem. Exposing a tribe to diseases they have no defense against? That's a problem.

Take a guy who has good intentions who decides to go into a NICU to help out and entertain the babies - and he doesn't wash his hands or follow any of their sanitation protocols. Did he have good intentions? Probably. Bad idea overall? Definitely. But out of ignorance, not malice.

But out of ignorance, not malice.

I don't believe he was either ignorant of the danger he posed to these people or malicious. Rather, he was arrogant and condescending. Full of himself and calling it faith.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

wolfriverjoe

***sadly, it often takes religion to be this stupid

I'm not entirely sure I'd call it 'stupid'.

Apparently he had traveled all over the world. You don't survive that if you're that stupid.

I'd probably lean more towards "blind".

As in:

His faith blinded him to the reality of the dangers to the tribe of his going there.
I would think that religion is supposed to teach people to be kind. Deliberately violating the laws and potentially exposing the tribe to infectious diseases that would wipe them out doesn't fit that.

It also blinded him to the dangers to him of going there. He had already been shot at. This group had a well earned reputation of being hostile towards outsiders. His first approach included 'hollering' at them. Not generally considered a 'friendly' gesture.

It is a pretty close parallel to the 'flood' joke in the 'religious jokes' thread.

Change the punchline to:

"God, why did you let those natives kill me? Why didn't you protect me?"

"Well, the law told you not to go. Their reputation told you not to go. The kid shooting an arrow at you and piercing your Bible told you not to go. What more messages did you want?"

Same situation. Blindly believing "God will protect me" and going into very dangerous situations.
Wasn't the first time, won't be the last.

Maybe he never heard of base jumping.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

evilivan

....we don't know that yet - it was only a few days ago. He may well have infected them with something.

Right, and many may die. Maybe next time they will have learned not to kill the white man on impulse, but rather hear him out.

Evolution and all that. . .

motionscribe

Right, and many may die. Maybe next time they will have learned not to kill the white man on impulse, but rather hear him out.

Evolution and all that. . .

Why do you think they're so stupid they would learn the opposite of the right lesson?

(By the way, the fact that you don't seem to care at all about endangering the lives of 150 people for the sake of reading a book at them in a language they don't understand is another example of the amorality of your belief system.)

You are correct, their lives don't matter. Just remember, neither does yours or your loved ones then.

gowlerk

You are correct, their lives don't matter. Just remember, neither does yours or your loved ones then.

Yep, so says secular humanism and your god of evolution.