airdvr

The Creepy Line

there seem to be several concerns here:

1. Google and FB have lots of our personal data
2. They use that data to serve personalized ads
3. They use that data to filter search results and news feeds.
4. This filtering is designed to give better results and help users get what they want from the service faster.
5. The filtering of data is designed to influence popular opinion and serve a liberal political agenda.

I don't think you will get any debate over items 1-4, but 5 is not as clear cut.

Have you seen the documentary / movie? Or just the trailer?
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

airdvr

Not sure why that is eye oepning for you but maybe think of it this way "if it does not cost anything you are the product".

In numbers that means facebook has a profit of 5 Billon $ in Q3 of 2018, so roughly 20 Billion a year. It has 2 Billion users, so it makes 10 Dollars per year for every user. Those 10 dollars are paid by advertisers and others knowing that the influence on the user will pay them back more than that. If that would not be the case the whole advertising industry would be a hoax. By paying back the user probably buys something he would not buy otherwise or buys a the product with lesser value for him.
Considering you life in a first world country and have an expensive hobby (skydiving) your value to the advertiser is probably multiple times those 10 dollars and that is the price in $ to be on facebook. Along with that comes influence on your polical views.

I am not on facebook although i do think it does offer benefit. Maybe https://www.openbook.social/ will work, but that will be hard considering that it is just to comfortable to stay on facebook. Although it is really expensive.
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

SethInMI

there seem to be several concerns here:

4. This filtering is designed to give better results and help users get what they want from the service faster.
5. The filtering of data is designed to influence popular opinion and serve a liberal political agenda.

I don't think you will get any debate over items 1-4, but 5 is not as clear cut.

1. #3 and #4 are inconsistent with #5. By definition if three and four are true then #5 can't be true.

2. If your representation of this logical sequence was true. How could airdvr(OP), Ron and Marc become so misguided. Instead they suggest the power of your #1 to #4 points.

Phil1111

***there seem to be several concerns here:

1. #3 and #4 are inconsistent with #5. By definition if three and four are true then #5 can't be true.

2. If your representation of this logical sequence was true. How could airdvr(OP), Ron and Marc become so misguided. Instead they suggest the power of your #1 to #4 points.

Not necessarily. What's more troubling is the algorithm used to produce those results. If we use google we'll see what we want or expect to see. By that measure you're as misguided as me.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

Not necessarily. What's more troubling is the algorithm used to produce those results. If we use google we'll see what we want or expect to see. By that measure you're as misguided as me.

Well there you go. You don't want to see a liberal political agenda, right? So Google doesn't show you one.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

***Not necessarily. What's more troubling is the algorithm used to produce those results. If we use google we'll see what we want or expect to see. By that measure you're as misguided as me.

Well there you go. You don't want to see a liberal political agenda, right? So Google doesn't show you one.

As a complete tangent... Googles location based algorithms really annoy me! I get that they want to show relevant information that is geographically close. But if I’m searching for a supplier of goods in a particular distant location it screws the results. You used to be able to trick it somewhat by choosing the appropriate domain (.co.uk for UK results, .com for USA) but that doesn’t seem to work so well anymore.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

airdvr

Normally conservatives are against government regulation of business, but in light of these concerns is there support on the right for a GDPR style set of rules for internet companies?
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

nigel99

As a complete tangent... Googles location based algorithms really annoy me! I get that they want to show relevant information that is geographically close. But if I’m searching for a supplier of goods in a particular distant location it screws the results. You used to be able to trick it somewhat by choosing the appropriate domain (.co.uk for UK results, .com for USA) but that doesn’t seem to work so well anymore.

This annoys me too. On Nov 11, I tried to get a view of various Google doodles around the world, but no matter what site I went to, google.co.uk or google.fr, the doodle was always the USA doodle.

No worse than print media, radio and TV. People who do not think for themselves have always rolled with the tide.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy