billvon

Trump's middle class tax cut

This is a funny one, and is indicative of what's going on at the upper levels of government these days.

First, a few weeks back, he promises a "major" "middle class" tax cut. No one has any idea what he is talking about. The GOP hopes he forgets about it.

Then he doubles down. A few days later he says "We’re putting in a resolution sometime in the next week, or week and a half, two weeks. . .We won’t have time to do the vote. We’ll do the vote later . . after the election.”

Ah! So it will be a resolution (i.e. a Congressional action) and it will be done soon. And you better vote Republican or you won't get it!

Then a week later he says "We are looking a major tax cut for middle-income people, by . . .the first of November, maybe a little before that." Great. That means we will see it soon.

Well, today is the first, and no tax cut. No proposal. No legislation. What will become of it? I have a feeling that after the election it will be quietly forgotten. Some White House adult with children will see the deficit top a trillion dollars and steal any tax cut proposal off his desk.

But in the meantime, it may distract voters from his previous tax cut that fell flat.

=================
Trump's mystery tax cut puzzles Washington

The president has spoken twice about a tax plan no one else seems to know anything about. 'I guess I’ll hear about it when I get to work on Monday,' one official said.

By NANCY COOK and BEN WHITE 10/22/2018 05:36 PM EDT
Politico

In recent days President Donald Trump has twice promised a new “major tax cut” ahead of the November midterm elections, mystifying White House officials, congressional leaders, and tax wonks around town who mostly have no idea what he’s talking about.

The pledge — which Trump repeated Monday afternoon — came as news to House and Senate lawmakers, who’ve already returned to their home states to campaign for the elections and have no plans to consider new legislation before then.

White House officials spent the day trying to decode what Trump meant because no one knew the substance of any such tax cut, or had seen any policy proposal related to it. Aides were left wondering what Trump had read in newspaper clippings, or seen on Twitter, to inspire this grand promise from his rally podium.

One senior administration official on Sunday night had not even heard about the president’s tax cut remark on Saturday in Nevada and said they had no idea what he was talking about. “I guess I’ll hear about it when I get to work on Monday,” the official said.. . .

And for Republicans making the final sprint to the midterms, Trump talking about tax cuts – even fanciful ones with no chance of happening – is better than Trump talking about much of anything else.

“It’s not a serious proposal. It wasn’t kicked around a whole lot, he just tossed it out there,” said one conservative lobbyist with close ties to GOP leaders on the Hill. “Nobody is taking it seriously, but we’d rather have him talking about tax cuts than some of the crazy stuff he usually talks about.”
======================

That’s the messed up thing, the politicians all know it’s nonsense that’ll come to nothing but it’ll work. He’ll have encouraged a few more people to vote by deliberately lying about something he has no intention of doing.

How do you hold the president of the USA accountable for consistently lying? If he were a child his parents would ground him, or spank him...

JerryBaumchen

Hi Will,

lying about something he has no intention of doing.

He's been doing it his entire life; why change now?

He is nothing more than a 5-yr old with a podium.

Jerry Baumchen

There was a Twilight Zone episode where a boy about 8 or 9 had the power to do some thing terrible to people. Make them disappear or something. Every one was very afraid of him because everything had to be exactly the way he wanted it. If anyone made the slightest mistake he would make them pay. Fear was in every eye of every one. Finally a tutor comes in and cajoles him to slightly better behavior. But the tutor seemed to have the ulterior motive of becoming the "power behind the throne". trump is like the little boy. Without even the moderating influence of the tutor.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Niki1

There was a Twilight Zone episode where a boy about 8 or 9 had the power to do some thing terrible to people. Make them disappear or something. Every one was very afraid of him because everything had to be exactly the way he wanted it. If anyone made the slightest mistake he would make them pay. Fear was in every eye of every one. Finally a tutor comes in and cajoles him to slightly better behavior. But the tutor seemed to have the ulterior motive of becoming the "power behind the throne". trump is like the little boy. Without even the moderating influence of the tutor.

Even worse, Trump has the radicalizing influences of crackpots like Stephen Miller.
Everything I've read indicates all the anti-immigrant BS out of the administration comes directly from Miller.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Niki1

***Hi Will,

lying about something he has no intention of doing.

He's been doing it his entire life; why change now?

He is nothing more than a 5-yr old with a podium.

Jerry Baumchen

There was a Twilight Zone episode where a boy about 8 or 9 had the power to do some thing terrible to people. Make them disappear or something. Every one was very afraid of him because everything had to be exactly the way he wanted it. If anyone made the slightest mistake he would make them pay. Fear was in every eye of every one.

I'm reading a book like that at the moment. For some reason a few people on earth manifest super-hero powers, but unlike the Marvel stuff they're absolute jerks with it and start destroying humanity, just because they can. America passes the Capitulation Act which classifies them as a force of nature and beyond the law.

Niki1

Well, the original TV episode left off with the kid (played by Billy Mumy, later "Will Robinson" on Lost in Space) creating a snowstorm that will destroy the crops and lead to starvation. But all the adults agree that "It's a good thing".

The woman showing up and becoming a "normalizing" influence (with a strong potential for ulterior motives - I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw it that way) was in the movie from 83. The same movie that killed Vic Morrow and a couple kids during filming.

The parallels between the kid and Trump are pretty interesting.

However, he doesn't have absolute power (not yet anyway).

This claim about a tax cut being put in place 'before the election' is a load of crap. So's the EO about citizenship.

Smoke & mirrors to draw attention away from the dumpster fire in the White House, from what's happening with the economy, from all the crap that's slowly coming back around to bite him.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo