normiss

Happy Thanksgiving

To everyone here, enjoy your time with friends and family.
Hopefully we ALL have something to be thankful for.
Remember that and appreciate it.
I have a LOT to be very thankful for this year and I hope you do as well.
B|

Now back to the gravy....:P

normiss

To everyone here, enjoy your time with friends and family.
Hopefully we ALL have something to be thankful for.
Remember that and appreciate it.
I have a LOT to be very thankful for this year and I hope you do as well.
B|

Now back to the gravy....:P

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving down here, but we did inherit Black Friday from you. I work for a large financial institution and tomorrow is going to be scarily hectic again......:o

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.:)

It amuses me that you posted this in speakers corner. Happy Thanksgiving? Brace yourself for a heated political/religious argument. :D

But seriously, happy Thanksgiving to you too. Be thankful indeed.

Max Peck
What's the point of having top secret code names, fellas, if we ain't gonna use 'em?

AtrusBatleth

It amuses me that you posted this in speakers corner. Happy Thanksgiving? Brace yourself for a heated political/religious argument. :D

Well, Happy Thanksgiving to all my non-native American friends! But an SC post would not be complete without some reference to this:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/native-americans-mark-thanksgiving-day-mourning-59361915

Enjoy yourselves watching team redacted play this afternoon.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/thanksgiving-game-cowboys-just-another-insult-native-americans-season-full-ncna939296

Cowboys VS Indians........
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I try to bear in mind, no matter how varied and different our opinions on all things in life are, we are all much the same.
Today we Americans like to pause to remember that and be thankful for everything in our lives.

Weird that it's an immigrant holiday though, given our current environment here.
:P

gowlerk

***It amuses me that you posted this in speakers corner. Happy Thanksgiving? Brace yourself for a heated political/religious argument. :D

Well, Happy Thanksgiving to all my non-native American friends! But an SC post would not be complete without some reference to this:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/native-americans-mark-thanksgiving-day-mourning-59361915

Enjoy yourselves watching team redacted play this afternoon.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/thanksgiving-game-cowboys-just-another-insult-native-americans-season-full-ncna939296

Cowboys VS Indians........

I prefer my annual meal of Native American medium to medium-rare with a side of mint jelly.
Confirmed cynical sarcastic bastard since 2003

Weird that it's an immigrant holiday though

It is a blessing of thanks for that year's harvest and until Lincoln made it a holiday - was celebrated at different times in different states. Many countries also observe Thanksgiving... not about immigrants - about giving thanks for the harvest (i.e., Japan has a Thanksgiving)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

Weird that it's an immigrant holiday though

It is a blessing of thanks for that year's harvest and until Lincoln made it a holiday - was celebrated at different times in different states. Many countries also observe Thanksgiving... not about immigrants - about giving thanks for the harvest (i.e., Japan has a Thanksgiving)

True, though currently their Thanksgiving is much more Labor Day. It is called Labor Thanksgiving Day, but did morph from a Harvest festival.

normiss

It was first celebrated in the US by illegal aliens who were here seeking refuge from their government.

That is pretty much the story of America. That and armed insurrection from those with no voting rights.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

AtrusBatleth

***It was first celebrated in the US by illegal aliens who were here seeking refuge from their government.

How were they illegals? I wasnt aware of any native immigration laws.

Well, technically, in God's eyes, no one is illegal. But you are just being obtuse. You know full well what is being said here.

gowlerk

******It was first celebrated in the US by illegal aliens who were here seeking refuge from their government.

Well, technically, in God's eyes, no one is illegal. But you are just being obtuse. You know full well what is being said here.

What was being said was a false equivalence.
Max Peck
What's the point of having top secret code names, fellas, if we ain't gonna use 'em?

AtrusBatleth

*********It was first celebrated in the US by illegal aliens who were here seeking refuge from their government.

What was being said was a false equivalence.

Not really. The Europeans were invaders. And the Natives knew this.

Over time, the Wampanoag, like other Native societies in coastal New England, had learned how to manage the European presence. They encouraged the exchange of goods, but would allow their visitors to stay ashore only for brief, carefully controlled excursions. Those who overstayed their welcome were forcefully reminded of the limited duration of Indian hospitality.

...In 1605 and 1606 Samuel de Champlain visited Cape Cod, hoping to establish a French base. He abandoned the idea. Too many people already lived there. A year later the British nobleman Ferdinando Gorges tried to found a community in Maine. It began with more people than the Pilgrims’ later venture in Plymouth and was better organized and supplied. Nonetheless, the local Indians, numerous and well armed, killed 11 colonists and drove the rest back home within months.

Source:https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/native-intelligence-109314481/

The natives had treated the Europeans this way since the Vikings first showed up in what's now New England and Canada's Maritime provinces.

The Pilgrims had to fight off natives for the first winter. It was the spring of 1621 that the locals decided to meet with them and offer an alliance.
The coastal tribes had been nearly destroyed by illness and were in danger of being taken over by inland tribes.

The disease had come from, of course...

Europeans.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Family and friends are what is important. Happy Thanksgiving to you and all of your family and friends as well. May they all find health and happiness moving forward into the next year.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln