20kN

Pilot 7 vs WinX pack volume?

I guess it depends on what material you want; zp, zpx or hybrid. Winx is available in zp and hybrid.

I can say is that a samesize Winx zp packs slightly smaller than samesize Pilot7.

I think the zpx edition of the pilot7 will then pack slightly smaller than the Winx zp.

If you want hybrid then the Winx and the Pilot7 ought to be roughly the same size as the pilot7 hybrid uses zpx and lopo in a combination whereas the Winx hybrid uses zp and lopo.

To add to the general understanding, I came from a Storm 150 zp to the Winx 150 zp. The Winx packs half a size smaller than the Storm, so like a Storm 142 so to speak.

Winx ZP
Compared to a Storm, about 1/2 to 1/4 size smaller in pack volume

WinX Hybrid
Compared to a Storm, about a full size to 1,5 size smaller

WinX UltrLight
Compared to a Storm, a good 3 sizes smaller

My container used to have a Storm 120 in full fit (tight) and a WinX ZP 120 fits in that same container with a bit of space left. The same container normally having a 120 as biggest size it can fit, also fits a 190 UL WinX (tight) and 170 UL Winx (normal, almost loose fit)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

birdynamnam

I guess it depends on what material you want; zp, zpx or hybrid. Winx is available in zp and hybrid.

I can say is that a samesize Winx zp packs slightly smaller than samesize Pilot7.

I think the zpx edition of the pilot7 will then pack slightly smaller than the Winx zp.

If you want hybrid then the Winx and the Pilot7 ought to be roughly the same size as the pilot7 hybrid uses zpx and lopo in a combination whereas the Winx hybrid uses zp and lopo.

To add to the general understanding, I came from a Storm 150 zp to the Winx 150 zp. The Winx packs half a size smaller than the Storm, so like a Storm 142 so to speak.

This is standard ZP vs standard ZP. The manufacturer says the WinX packs 5% smaller than the Storm, but I have never packed a Storm so that's not very useful to me. I asked for the measurement in cubic inches, but it doesent seem they have measured it before.

If the 150 WinX packs like a 142 Storm that would make sense because the 150 WinX is actually a 144. The surface area of the canopies are smaller than the advertised size and this is mentioned in the manual.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6kex0zdkrl2ttbe/WINX%20MANUAL.docx?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR0ELViVyXm_g_cDy8Ax-P-6OrDyM4mgZrmWAm9ay69vT2AxYI-HEjVQoF4

Correct. The canopy is slightly smaller in sqft. I also noticed that the cell height of the Winx is a lot less, also resulting in slightly less bulk. So, I think you have what you need, and information is as good as it gets when comparing pack vols btw different manufacturers that measure this differently

For what it is worth, I got a demo WinX canopy with 30 jumps on it and compared it to a Pilot 7 with about 250 jumps on it. In that state, they are basically the same in terms of pack volume. Regarding the openings, I find that the WinX opens a bit faster than the P7. The P7 tends to snivel quite a lot where as the WinX does not. I am not sure that I would want to use the WinX on a lot of terminal jumps without a larger slider. It's really more of a wingsuit canopy. The flare is similar between the two, although the brake lines on the P7 are shorter than the WinX, so I might not be comparing apples to apples. The flare on both is good enough to land, but not as good as a modern 9 cell (about 80% of something like a Sabre 2 or Safire 2/3). The glide in the WinX is slightly more flat than the P7 it seems like, but not massively different. Both have reasonably good glide. The WinX does fall slightly short of the P7 in turbulence. It gets bucked around petty good when it gets choppy out. The P7 is not a superstar in turbulence either, but probably slightly better it seems. Both provide good openings that are consistently on heading with wingsuit jumps.

The main difference between the two is just that the WinX opens faster, where as the P7 is soft and snively. Beyond that they are similar in most regards.

(edited)
On 1/6/2019 at 3:10 AM, 20kN said:

For what it is worth, I got a demo WinX canopy with 30 jumps on it and compared it to a Pilot 7 with about 250 jumps on it. In that state, they are basically the same in terms of pack volume. Regarding the openings, I find that the WinX opens a bit faster than the P7. The P7 tends to snivel quite a lot where as the WinX does not. I am not sure that I would want to use the WinX on a lot of terminal jumps without a larger slider. It's really more of a wingsuit canopy. The flare is similar between the two, although the brake lines on the P7 are shorter than the WinX, so I might not be comparing apples to apples. The flare on both is good enough to land, but not as good as a modern 9 cell (about 80% of something like a Sabre 2 or Safire 2/3). The glide in the WinX is slightly more flat than the P7 it seems like, but not massively different. Both have reasonably good glide. The WinX does fall slightly short of the P7 in turbulence. It gets bucked around petty good when it gets choppy out. The P7 is not a superstar in turbulence either, but probably slightly better it seems. Both provide good openings that are consistently on heading with wingsuit jumps.

The main difference between the two is just that the WinX opens faster, where as the P7 is soft and snively. Beyond that they are similar in most regards.

Oh I missed this post, didnt see it. My progression was from a SA2 to the Winx ZP same size. As I have jumped 7c canopies for many years I had no trouble getting to the same flare power as you flare differently than with a 9c, timing is differently, stroke is much longer. It is sort of the same. I did try the Pilot7 ZPX same size twice. And yes it snivels (which is not desired in wingsuit'ing really). Eventhough it snivels, it opens a bit harder in the end. The Winx has almost no snivel but yet it opens extremely soft. Using it in terminal jumps, it opens quick, for sure, but very soft. I actually think this is brilliantly done, as making a canopy snivel is one of many instruments in making a canopy open soft(er). Just make sure you are a bit head high when you deploy :D As for packvolume I only tried a Pilot7 ZPX and it packed smaller offcourse. The ZPX material is a great advantage to the Pilot7 users and I wish that material was avail with the Winx as it is so easy to pack ZPX also. For glide, I can definately say that the Winx has them all easely. It out glide a SA2 and Pilot9, and the Pilot7 is far from achieving the same glide. The Pilot7 flies a bit steeper than all the others, and so coming back from a bad spot against the wind the Pilot7 is very efficient and also better than the WInx. On the other hand the Winx glides extremely flat and it has the best glide of them all in all other scenarios. I routinely fly my Winx with all these canopies after deployments and people are just waiting for me to come along and bump their canopy. That makes me also realize the potential of the WInx, I can catch people really fast (there is no escape) 

Edited by birdynamnam