Dmullen85

Container flapping on back in free fall

Tightening the leg strap might help but I doubt it. Remember it is rental gear, and most rental gear usually does not fit the majority of the people that rent it. If you max out the leg straps, while on the ground you can twist your upper torso from side to side rapidly, and if the rig flops around, it is not a good or safe fit. When you rent gear you have to try and balance fit(for your body) and size of canopy for your experience level. One thing you can do if you continue to rent to try and help the situation depending on the gear store you rent from and their selection, is to get there first thing when they open and have more choices instead of whats left over.

Dmullen85

I’m using rental gear still still a new jumper. During free fall it seems like the container is flapping on my back. Would thighening the leg straps help hold it tighter to my back ? Thanks.

Is the harness adjustable on this rig? It is on some (mostly student rigs).

On the early piggy back rigs we installed adjustable straps from bottom of main container to main lift web area. A simple pull forward on both sides would suck the container to your body as wanted. My next rig will incorporate that feature. Wonder why that fell into disfavor? Let's hear it guys.

I have a Vector ll as a second rig. It does not have that feature. When does yours slip? Upon exit, Under canopy when main container is empty, or walking to aircraft? With correct hardware and webbing it should not slip. I know it feels great when it is snugged to body.

I confirm that rental Vectors with main lift webbing (MLW) adjustments slips on every jumps during openings when the harness is loaded. It's not major but annoying. I usually try to load the webbing with my hands prior to putting the rig on so movement is minimal but it's always there.

What Dmullen85 is living is with the lateral webbing being too long to fit "most" people. On the rental gear I used the leg straps were tight as can be and the MLW were adjusted properly. The container would still move 2-3in easily from left to right on my back.

Ask the rental shop about adding a temporary belly band. The belly band can easily loop through hip rings and pull them forward. This will reduce the “waist size” of the harness ... reducing sideways slop in freefall.
Belly bands are popular on large student rigs and huge military free all rigs.

Also consider adding a bungee cord to pull both leg straps towards your buttocks. Free fly bungees are standard on harnesses manufactured during the last 25 years.

This might be straightforward to many but just putting it out there. When I rented gear, I would lock it in with the chest strap first to place it on your back then tighten the leg straps. I see people do it both ways but chest strap first seemed to help me out.

Also, everyone isn't always symmetrical. Tighten the chest then leg straps. Then do a shoulder shrug to see how even the tension is. If you tend to stick with the sport try and get a container that is custom fit and allows for a downsize :)

That’s everyone for the tips. I do plan on ordering a custom rig soon I plan on sticking with this. The reason nothing really fits is probably because I am big guy. I’m 6’6 250lbs. Not to much of a selection for a guy my size. Custom container is gonna happen soon. Thanks guys.

jcrouch

I love that picture. Fodder for all the naysayers and disbelievers that falling out can't happen.

Perhaps a picture will wake some of you up!
Brett Bickford Did Not Commit Suicide.

He is the victim of ignorance and faulty gear. AND as in the movie: "12 Angry Men," of an ignorant and callous jury.