skyjames

Burner phones

Pardon my ignorance on this issue, but I have never had a reason to even want to know how these work.

The prepaid or burner phone thing. I always assumed it was one of those throw away phones you see in movies that you buy at a kiosk in a mall or a convenience store, use it until the minutes were up and then toss it. I went online to buy one and was surprised that you don't get a phone, you get a phone number emailed to you and when that number is called it is forwarded to your actual phone. Granted I didn't do an in depth search.

I can understand the technology on forwarding a call, but it does leave you unguarded since the whole idea of not giving your phone number out by using a "burner" phone is negated.

I learned from a friend that an old acquaintance wanted to get in touch with me. I don't have a problem talking to that party but developing anything past that could be problematic, hence my phone anonymity plan. Can anyone bring me up to speed on this?

"exit fast, fly smooth, dock soft and smile"
'nother james

What you saw online is a software solution from a company called burner. It will probably solve your problem. If you want a true "burner" phone your first idea was correct. Go to a kiosk and buy one cash. You can use cash to top up the minutes, or toss it. No ID is required to buy one.

I can't shed a lot of light, but there are several different levels of anonymity:

1. Hiding your actual phone number from the person you are contacting. Sounds like this is all you want. My wife uses a Google Hangouts phone number for this purpose, so that some of her clients can call her, but only when she wants and only on that "fake" number, which is separate from her regular phone number. A persons phone number is a way into their social media world, and if you want to keep your distance from someone you don't want to let them have your number.

2. Hiding any trace of your phone calls and texts from everyone, including spouse, boss at work, etc. This is probably only needed if you are up to no good. This is the true burner cash pre-paid phone, I have never needed one, but I assume you can still get one.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Burner phones used to be actual phones, and you can still buy cheap pay as you go phones. However, now there are apps that you can load onto your current smart phone that gives you a separate number, so it is like having a different phone. You give out the new number and when the person calls it rings on your current phone. You just have to make sure to only call them from the app, or set your own up to ask which service to call out on every time you call out.

I have a "burner" number, from when I was trying online dating, in case someone got too weird and I needed to cut away. But I didn't want to have to lose the number I've had for years if that happened, so its a great alternative. And its great for buying and selling online, like craigslist, offerup, letgo, etc
"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity"

There are two levels of security/anonymity:

1) The other party can’t trace you by number (or see your “real” number)
2) The other party cannot even link the physical device to you (higher-level stuff like hiding from the Law or NSA type stuff; not avoiding an old acquaintance)

For basic anonymity, you could either use:

1) physical burner phone
2) physical SIM card put in any phone for the purpose
3) software solutions such as “Burner Apps”

If you have need for an anonymous number on an ongoing or frequent basis, I’d opt for buying a pre-paid or pay-as-you-go SIM Card and put in an old phone.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

oldwomanc6

I am confused as well.

I always thought they were something that looked like a flip-phone . and were untraceable, because you paid cash and no ID was associated with it.

Dang, my spy career is evidently over before it began. :)

Those are still around.

A cheap flip is maybe $20, plus another $20 for minutes. Smart (more or less) phones are out there too.

I know jumpers who carry those on jumps because they don't want to risk their brand new I phone on a jump. Plus the little flip goes in a pocket better.

And, FWIW, flip phones are still available for 'regular' plans too.

I know this because I have one.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I learned from a friend that an old acquaintance wanted to get in touch with me. I don't have a problem talking to that party but developing anything past that could be problematic

Is she hot?
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

obelixtim

Well the old two tin cans with a string between them was pretty foolproof, but seems to have gone out of fashion these days...

Have you ever tried to set up a conference call on one of those?[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

billvon

***Well the old two tin cans with a string between them was pretty foolproof, but seems to have gone out of fashion these days...

But _very_ easy to trace.

Not when they are cunningly disguised as two tin cans, with Campbells soup labels...
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

obelixtim

******Well the old two tin cans with a string between them was pretty foolproof, but seems to have gone out of fashion these days...

But _very_ easy to trace.

Not when they are cunningly disguised as two tin cans, with Campbells soup labels...

The tell tell ring around the ear is a dead give away you are using older technology to hide something. You should be okay though, it's not recorded.

'nother james

oldwomanc6

I am confused as well.

I should come clean on why I need this burner phone. This is my problem.
Dial back the calendar a few years

We were at a rock concert, three deep from the stage.
The music was so loud the only way to talk to the person next to you was to text back and forth. With the nod of her head Amy told me to follow her outside so we could hear each other. As things often happen, we became involved. After a whirlwind romance we drifted apart but kept in touch. A few years later by happenstance we met again and shared our lives. Soon we were involved again. The problem with this is we were both married to other people. After that brief interlude we again drifted apart but not because of our marriage status. I didn't know it at the time, our last encounter produced a child.

My wife found out about the affair accidentally while looking for a contact on my phone. She didn't know who it was and I never told her. It was my stupidity for leaving old texts on the phone. After some yelling, tears and soul searching my wife forgave me. Obviously I now have a new phone and number and promised my wife I would never have contact with Amy again, so all's well that ends well. When I found out I was a father I offered to support Amy and our daughter but she decided it was best for all if she let her husband think he was the father. Not being able to know or watch my daughter grow up was a pain I had to bear.

If I were any good at nefarious activities perhaps things would have unfolded differently. My wife would have never found out about my affair and I would still have my old phone filled with illicit memories. Maybe somehow I could have known my daughter, even if she didn't know me as her father. Probably the silver lining to this dark cloud is I had no pictures of Amy on my phone and her contact was a nick name. It was a god send Amy had a new phone because my wife called the old number and the man who answered was clueless. If Amy still had her old phone number, or I had her pictures on my phone, my marriage would have been over. My wife would have recognized any picture or her real name as being a mutual friend from our past, the ending would have been the same. Aside from the feelings I hurt, which I don't consider a small issue, I was a dog with it's tail between it's legs.

Now comes my friend who knows and has kept in touch with both me and Amy, telling me she wants contact. He knows our history and let me opt to give out my new number or not.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, with all that being said, now ... the truth. Old friend I used to party around, booze and smoke the evil weed with, wants to contact me for who knows what reason. Fact is, we grew apart because I grew up and he didn't. Not quite the soap opera as the other story :-) but true. Just call me a skeptic. hence the phone thing.

'nother james

Okay, with all that being said, now ... the truth. Old friend I used to party around, booze and smoke the evil weed with, wants to contact me for who knows what reason. Fact is, we grew apart because I grew up and he didn't. Not quite the soap opera as the other story :-) but true. Just call me a skeptic. hence the phone thing.

Yeah, a lot of us have that old friend. Whatever he wants, its trouble.

Damn, that was getting pretty juicy. Booooooorrrrrrrring!

Well, you could also Skype call or use a calling card so you don't have to give out a phone number. Both are cheaper than a burner phone.

Or, even better, just email from a dummy account and find out what he wants.
Confirmed cynical sarcastic bastard since 2003