FallsFast

Will there ever be another World Freefall Convention?

FallsFast

Hi all new to the sport, keep hearing all the tales of the historic boogies, and meets. One that keeps coming up is World Freefall Convention. Does anyone have any info on it, or was it just a couple time event and its gone now?

It was way more than a couple of times. It took place for many years, the last year being 2006. Many large events have disappeared, and one of the reasons is that the things that these events provided are now commonly available closer to home, e.g., larger turbine aircraft, specialty aircraft, etc.

Another unfortunate issue is that insurance for some of the specialty aircraft became harder to get, which eliminated the use of a number of them.

FallsFast

Hi all new to the sport, keep hearing all the tales of the historic boogies, and meets. One that keeps coming up is World Freefall Convention. Does anyone have any info on it, or was it just a couple time event and its gone now?

some light reading:
Forums: Search Results
Your search for WFFC returned 21986 results

One of the things I regret I never did. You think something will be around forever, and then it is gone...
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

FallsFast

I think the boogies tend to spring up and grow then die off. Then another one comes along so keep an eye out, we're probably due for a new one soon.

Bob_Church

***Hi all new to the sport, keep hearing all the tales of the historic boogies, and meets. One that keeps coming up is World Freefall Convention. Does anyone have any info on it, or was it just a couple time event and its gone now?

I think the boogies tend to spring up and grow then die off. Then another one comes along so keep an eye out, we're probably due for a new one soon.

Let's keep hoping! FB1371 - 1983

Summerfest in Chicago.

Lost Prairie in Montana.

Big O boogie

Tiki Boogie

And the Perris jet is getting a tune up for the boogie at Christmas.

And I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more great events.

Lots of choices for fun in the US.

The WFFC will be a tough sell. No airport will let a couple of thousand folks camp, jump and party these days. Without that, I doubt the appeal will be there. Today's jumpers want a different experience,IMHO.

grimmie

Summerfest in Chicago.

Lost Prairie in Montana.

Big O boogie

Tiki Boogie

And I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more great events.

Lots of choices for fun in the US.

The WFFC will be a tough sell. No airport will let a couple of thousand folks camp, jump and party these days. Without that, I doubt the appeal will be there. Today's jumpers want a different experience,IMHO.

And the thing is, each of the above boogies offer a 'different experience'. Some offer interesting airplanes, some offer great organizers for 'semi-serious' jumpers, some offer great parties, some offer incredible views and locations.

They may not be as big or spectacular as the WFFC, but each has it's own attractions.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

grimmie

Is that true? I'd love to get a chance to jump that. Any more info anywhere?
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

RMK

***And the Perris jet is getting a tune up for the boogie at Christmas.

Is that true? I'd love to get a chance to jump that. Any more info anywhere?

The only specifics so far was a short video posted on the Skydive Perris Experienced Jumpers Fb page on 8/28 of the jet taxiing. A comment explained they hope to have it jumpable by Christmas.

Confucious12

There are currently two major boogies going every year. St. Patrick's boogie in Fitzgerald, GA in March, and Carolina Fest at Skydive Carolina in Chester, SC in June, I believe. Multiple aircraft at both, sometimes helicopters and hot air balloons as well.

A great deal more than two..... I would not rank St. Pats in GA as "Major."

Summer Fest
Tiki
Halloween Boogie , Skydive AZ
Turkey Bookie, ZHills
Independence Boogie Spaceland Dallas.

Loads of major boogies in the US. Very unlikely we will see another boogie as big as the old WFFC. Back in the day, not every DZ had a turbine. Most DZ's have Cessna 182's and now even smallish DZs have a 208 or a 750XL. People used to travel not just for the party, but for the larger aircraft, now turbines are almost everywhere (OK not everywhere, but lot's of places).

Put it this way.... It used to be that you could only jump a jet at the WFFC, it ended up going away, but Perris owns one.

You want to jump a balloon? Burner is at Skydive AZ at least half the year. Want to jump a heli? Well the only game in town used to be the WFFC, but just in FLORIDA last year they had a Huey at Sebastian and Clewiston. Heck, Spaceland Dallas had one at the 4th of July Boogie.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334