baronn

BOD election 2018

topdocker

***>In this day and age, there is no reason that the BOD meetings are not broadcast via web.

There is a very big reason - no one is doing it. I am certain that if you volunteered they would be happy to let you do it.

I don't have the technical expertise to make it happen. Nor do I want to take on the expense of such an undertaking for the organization.

There are actual people at USPA who get paid actual salaries to have this knowledge and expertise. Elijah Florio (Director of Communications) and Jen Sharp (Director of Information Technology) would come to mind, or an underling. However, staff only operate within the directions of the BOD and the Executive Director, so it would still need to come from the top. (Not trying to throw those two under the bus, they are great individuals and work very hard, just showing that there are people already at USPA who probably CAN do this.)

The expense could literally be as little as zero. I've seen BOD meetings broadcasted via an iPhone. Is it the best and most professional solution? No. Probably not something you might want for a BOD meeting at Microsoft. But it works fine in an pinch and even a simple external webcam and mic connected to a computer (which are about $30), is good enough to cover the basics of what's been said. Increase your budget a bit more to $500 and you can actually get a reasonable 1080p 60fps camera and two external mics and speakers which is more than good enough for a small gathering of 15 - 20 people conducting an informal meeting for skydivers.

Westerly

******>In this day and age, there is no reason that the BOD meetings are not broadcast via web.

There is a very big reason - no one is doing it. I am certain that if you volunteered they would be happy to let you do it.

I don't have the technical expertise to make it happen. Nor do I want to take on the expense of such an undertaking for the organization.

There are actual people at USPA who get paid actual salaries to have this knowledge and expertise. Elijah Florio (Director of Communications) and Jen Sharp (Director of Information Technology) would come to mind, or an underling. However, staff only operate within the directions of the BOD and the Executive Director, so it would still need to come from the top. (Not trying to throw those two under the bus, they are great individuals and work very hard, just showing that there are people already at USPA who probably CAN do this.)

The expense could literally be as little as zero. I've seen BOD meetings broadcasted via an iPhone. Is it the best and most professional solution? No. Probably not something you might want for a BOD meeting at Microsoft. But it works fine in an pinch and even a simple external webcam and mic connected to a computer (which are about $30), is good enough to cover the basics of what's been said. Increase your budget a bit more to $500 and you can actually get a reasonable 1080p 60fps camera and two external mics and speakers which is more than good enough for a small gathering of 15 - 20 people conducting an informal meeting for skydivers.

Realize to broadcast to several people does require a little more than that, but there are people that do it for a living (GoToMeeting, etc). The limitation is really the committee meetings, several can be going on at one time. Again, none of this is technically complicated, just takes a modicum of planning. Lastly, I would have to cover the travel expenses, and USPA has the means and people to do the job.

Certainly, our members would be better served by this than a museum and wind tunnel.

Jump more, post less!

Don’t let the USPA BOD waste anymore of your money on donations to the International Skydiving Museum (boondoggle) in Orlando.

Here is the vote right from the BOD meeting, this is available to all USPA Members right here https://uspa.org/BOD . Look up USPA Meeting Minutes, BOD 2018 Summer Meeting (Jul 2018) and scroll down to Motion 14, what you will see is attached.

Thank you, I was trying to find this.

Conversations with Mcgowan and he has said he voted for it, but now considers that vote a mistake and will vote against it if it comes up again.

I was going to email the BOD... Then just quit the USPA and decided to fly more. So no point in me knowing who voted for what, they don't give a damn what the membership wants anyway.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334